Project 250 (2005 Dolphin Grey TDI BHC)

2work

Well Known Member
United-Kingdom
Evening all,

Ive mentioned Project 250 on a few threads now along with stating that it'll have its own thread soon enough. Well this is the start of said thread, please do not expect anything exotic in this thread. This will be kept as standard as possible as there really is something quite nice about a truly honest budget spec A2. Ive not had one this lacking in the Dealers optional extras tick sheet before, but its great, you can see exactly what Audi was trying to do all those years ago with a basic A2. I love it!

I could have done with another A2 but wasn't actually in the market for one, but when this came up on this thread for £250 with being only and hour or so away I jumped at the chance. I was just so lucky to be browsing the Market Area at the right time and think I responded to Nick within minutes of him placing the advertisement, Nick @Nicholas Golland thank you very much. Over the course of this thread you will see that your Family Heirloom is in good hands and will be looked after, probably spoilt now and then also.

Here are the pictures from Nick's thread linked in the above paragraph:

4D95D84C-D684-4DC3-B59B-9F4C8CB72212.jpeg

5515B10C-CB5D-4A16-8217-F0363AAC0532.jpeg

90545C63-98DF-4C5F-9022-36A415C0871F.jpeg

EB0E3AEB-6018-4668-948D-9219552E4FA1.jpeg

28D21F8A-DB8E-4DB3-B651-CCDDCC47F81F.jpeg

When I took the family to view it a few days later I was amazed at the condition and the feel of it whilst out on the test drive. I only took it out for a 10 mile test drive by myself and my mind was already made up (in the first mile) that this had to come back to 2work Towers. I had to wait for the wife to have her test drive first though as this purchase was for her (to stop her taking OEM after a thorough detailing and bringing it back filthy!). She was over the moon with it and complimented the way it felt whilst driving, I guess worn out Sport suspension of my last 3 A2s isn't good enough for her.

Upon looking over the car over, remembering that I wasn't looking to find fault as it was priced at £250, but here is the list of things I though need attention from the viewing (below are by no way a negative thing but just my thoughts before it was to commence its daily life with the wife):

1. Bonnet has possible been repainted or replaced at some point but that should be easy to replace in time
2. EML was on throughout the test drive, for some reason I didn't have my laptop with me but thought if it made it on the 10 mile test drive it should get me home some 50 miles away
3. All door cards less the driver required changing due to deep scratches
4. Rear bumper (bottom black part only) required heating up and popping out as it had been pushed in by a Porsche
5. Steering wheel (SE plastic item) was well worn between 10 and 2 o'clock
6. Handbrake (SE plastic) lever wrapped in insulation tape
7. Thorough interior cleaning required, what car at 217k miles doesn't?
8. Drivers headlamp misty/yellow
9. Climate buttons worm
10. Front grill damaged
11. Fuse cover missing
12. Wiper arm dead and marked the screen

There were probably a few more but cannot remember now. The above list didn't deter me from purchasing it through as most of it is just superficial and can be sorted over time. The main thing is that it drove absolutely splendid and stopped sharply in a straight line.

As you know I did purchase this brilliant little A2 Special Edition. The list above wasn't in my eyes extensive and was certainly outweighed by the positives. The paintwork was utterly amazing (less for No 1.) and the lacquer felt to be really think, it was nice an smooth and really didn't look or feel its age at all, the Dolphin Grey paint came through beautifully. I couldn't wait to clay it down and layer it up with some DoDo Juice. The interior was really nice to sit in, there is something quite nice about a honest no frills A2, any thoughts of bringing this to a spec similar to that of Project OEM was rejected quickly as it felt a little dishonest to do such a thing to a nice and true A2. It drove like it had been remapped as it really does get off the starting line nicely along with responding brilliantly when the demand for power is asked, I initially thought it was a TDI90 but knew it is a BHC so only 75bhp. It certainly felt good and put a grin on my face. Apart from No 9 there was no wear to the soft tough items, the Concert HU is perfect and will not be changed, it'll be receiving the Xcarlink from OEM soon enough.

Once I had finished talking to Nick about everything A2 along with plenty of other vehicles we headed to Newark to grab lunch. On the way there I had the engine revving nicely and dropped a gear a few times to see how it reacted to over taking type manoeuvres. Initially there was some goods puffs of smoke behind me but that settled and put it down to not having an Italian Tune up for a while. When we left newark to head home I done the same again and couldn't get any clouds behind me, cobwebs blown out!

Over the first few days of ownership I started the shopping list for parts and the good members of this amazing Club came to my rescue. Most items from the list were now in hand, some of which were FOC, utterly amazing, thank you, you will all be mentioned in the thread!

The first item to be replaced was the plastic SE gear knob and gaiter, main reason was due to the gaiter has a nick in it so it had to go:
89B6C84C-7CF0-4290-BF7E-8870D8D892A1.jpeg

It was replaces with this leather Sport Gear Knob and Gaiter, which was donated by Ian @Proghound, thank you very much:
1FB0B628-1C68-4AF4-A971-10EFBE0726F4.jpeg

The biggest concern to me was the EML but I have struggled to get it displayed again. A scan showed it was a flap issue and the only way it has come back is after not using the car for a few days and the battery drained a little (still on factory battery). When starting after standing a few days I can get the EML on, if I have the battery charged up though, I cannot get the EML to illuminate, so guess this is not a fault but more of an issue thrown up whilst starting on a poor battery. 250 will be receiving OEMs good Bosch battery now it has a shiny new Varta F19 Silver Dynamic fitted. This should resolve the EML showing, but I will keep this under observation.

This is probably enough reading for now so will continue tomorrow with more pictures showing what has already been replaced to get this great A2 prepared for daily use.

Kind regards,

Tom

Sounds like it will be a great car...I understand your feelings about a basic spec car having previously bought the cheapest Seat Mii possible and enjoying every minute of it as a honest daily driver!

Morning all,

Continuing on with what’s been replaced on this terrific A2:

Only 30 minutes ago @Clackers (thank you Andy) offered to send a replacement front grill. I had him on pause whilst I de-plastered myself (doing a spot of DIY) and nipped out to the garage. Fortunately I had the grill on the headlamp washer bumper.

I quickly armed myself with these:
0817ED9B-F580-4A05-BB2C-49D2B3F19E8E.jpeg

To remove this:
37C9C927-4464-4875-8698-F3E513FF4D81.jpeg

Then fitted this, a much happier smile I think you’ll agreee:
81936782-986B-466F-8754-5834D6320ADC.jpeg

I’ve also had a few items delivered recently from @A2Steve (thank you Steve) to start to work through my job list earlier in the thread.

Next item to be removed was this:
226833BE-47A2-45CE-90C9-C39D560F4834.jpeg

And replace it with this:
076B89BF-FAE5-4F89-AC94-B7DDC99268CF.jpeg

To match the Sport Steering Wheel these were also removed:
68C50FFA-7D39-4AF6-87DB-E2956CD0AF3C.jpeg

A few minutes later naked handbrake lever looked like this:
55C05A6C-E99D-4690-A991-C27B5F6708D5.jpeg

It the same package from Steve was a replacement Alarm Module which was replaced in under 10 minutes, quite good at getting the boot panels off these days and that’s without damaging any clips. I can report that the alarm is nice and loud when set off and have also enabled the doors closed confirmation beep when the car is locked.

Very happy with the results, this amazing £250 A2 is so much better for it.

I’ve also had a new genuine set of TT Pedals arrive which have been fitted into Project OEM so donated the worn pedal covers to liven up the footwell. Whilst I was there why not add a Bespoke A2 Footrest:
191BA1C8-08BA-4CD8-90EF-DB8E7662B694.jpeg

The above picture also shows that this fantastic car now has a fuse cover fitted.

I’ll keep adding to this thread over the weekend but I must crack on with home improvements now.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi again,

DIY can wait for another 10 minutes I guess.

As the interior needed a deep clean I attacked it with a friend’s industrial Karcher Steam Cleaner. All it done was bring more dirt, smells and stains to the top of the seat coverings. Therefore for I rented a Rug Doctor from the local Morrison’s. What a great bit of kit. After an hour the whole interior had been given a new lease of life and looks amazing. I’ll get some interior pictures over the weekend.

You’ll remember I mentioned the door cards, well they were totally usable but I wanted the interior to look as good as I could get it on a tight budget.

This is what they look like, it’s mainly the top parts with the deep scratches:
23C84918-71D2-4DBA-95E0-1398AD70DA35.jpeg

0B775872-C139-4998-92A9-768A6E88002D.jpeg

2EEBB13B-AA56-4EDE-A216-41E53DA0C6BA.jpeg

Not wanting to be picky (remembering what I paid for the car) but I put a request out for a set of ‘not too pricey’ door cards. I was saved by both Ian @Proghound and Mandy @RZX.

I was recently heading Ian’s way anyway as a relative live 5 minutes away so stopped by for a brew (outside 2m apart of course). Whilst there I was donated the Leather Sport Gear Knob shown earlier in the thread. Ian also donated a pair of front door cards which were in great condition.

Mandy’s new door cards were also collected from Ian to save her the further journey South.

When Mandy stopped by to collect the new Blue Leather Armrest door cards from me in Coalville, I fitted said door cards and was donated the items that were no longer required.

Thank you both so much for these offerings. You’re generosity is very much appreciated and you really are a credit to ethos of this great Club!

Between both Ian’s and Mandy’s donations I now had a great set of door cards fitted:
AA022306-6944-4B5C-BD43-69061607B6F0.jpeg

9839CD1A-E2AA-4977-9928-A3CA0DD5E70A.jpeg

0AF0ED40-127F-4CE0-B7CE-F417DDFD2FEC.jpeg

B1A02E66-4CE9-4681-9BC6-ED3B3E9A7001.jpeg

Looking so much better whilst sat in the no frills cabin now. It really is a nice transformation as it was these parts that my wife wanted sorting. She wasn’t bothered about me ‘going to town’ on it with retrofits.

Once the carpets were fully dried I fitted factory rubber mats:
8E7B9DEC-0776-4467-AF86-63C6593BCF07.jpeg

CA35790E-E65A-46A9-B50A-B9A1CF33CF46.jpeg

40920070-6BD1-437F-AF10-669CE9C551CF.jpeg

I just need to locate a factory rubber drivers mat now. I have a request in the wanted area. I’ll take anything that is well worn and not bothered if it has a hole in it, as I’ll repair it when I get time.

Now the weather has improved a bit I’ll give it another wash followed by a quick detailing to show you how nice this car looks.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening all,

Ive mentioned Project 250 on a few threads now along with stating that it'll have its own thread soon enough. Well this is the start of said thread, please do not expect anything exotic in this thread. This will be kept as standard as possible as there really is something quite nice about a truly honest budget spec A2. Ive not had one this lacking in the Dealers optional extras tick sheet before, but its great, you can see exactly what Audi was trying to do all those years ago with a basic A2. I love it!

I could have done with another A2 but wasn't actually in the market for one, but when this came up on this thread for £250 with being only and hour or so away I jumped at the chance. I was just so lucky to be browsing the Market Area at the right time and think I responded to Nick within minutes of him placing the advertisement, Nick @Nicholas Golland thank you very much. Over the course of this thread you will see that your Family Heirloom is in good hands and will be looked after, probably spoilt now and then also.

Here are the pictures from Nick's thread linked in the above paragraph:

View attachment 72505

View attachment 72506

View attachment 72507

View attachment 72508

View attachment 72509

When I took the family to view it a few days later I was amazed at the condition and the feel of it whilst out on the test drive. I only took it out for a 10 mile test drive by myself and my mind was already made up (in the first mile) that this had to come back to 2work Towers. I had to wait for the wife to have her test drive first though as this purchase was for her (to stop her taking OEM after a thorough detailing and bringing it back filthy!). She was over the moon with it and complimented the way it felt whilst driving, I guess worn out Sport suspension of my last 3 A2s isn't good enough for her.

Upon looking over the car over, remembering that I wasn't looking to find fault as it was priced at £250, but here is the list of things I though need attention from the viewing (below are by no way a negative thing but just my thoughts before it was to commence its daily life with the wife):

1. Bonnet has possible been repainted or replaced at some point but that should be easy to replace in time
2. EML was on throughout the test drive, for some reason I didn't have my laptop with me but thought if it made it on the 10 mile test drive it should get me home some 50 miles away
3. All door cards less the driver required changing due to deep scratches
4. Rear bumper (bottom black part only) required heating up and popping out as it had been pushed in by a Porsche
5. Steering wheel (SE plastic item) was well worn between 10 and 2 o'clock
6. Handbrake (SE plastic) lever wrapped in insulation tape
7. Thorough interior cleaning required, what car at 217k miles doesn't?
8. Drivers headlamp misty/yellow
9. Climate buttons worm
10. Front grill damaged
11. Fuse cover missing
12. Wiper arm dead and marked the screen

There were probably a few more but cannot remember now. The above list didn't deter me from purchasing it through as most of it is just superficial and can be sorted over time. The main thing is that it drove absolutely splendid and stopped sharply in a straight line.

As you know I did purchase this brilliant little A2 SE. The list above wasn't in my eyes extensive and was certainly outweighed by the positives. The paintwork was utterly amazing (less for No 1.) and the lacquer felt to be really think, it was nice an smooth and really didn't look or feel its age at all, the Dolphin Grey paint came through beautifully. I couldn't wait to clay it down and layer it up with some DoDo Juice. The interior was really nice to sit in, there is something quite nice about a honest no frills A2, any thoughts of bringing this to a spec similar to that of Project OEM was rejected quickly as it felt a little dishonest to do such a thing to a nice and true A2. It drove like it had been remapped as it really does get off the starting line nicely along with responding brilliantly when the demand for power is asked, I initially thought it was a TDI90 but knew it is a BHC so only 75bhp. It certainly felt good and put a grin on my face. Apart from No 9 there was no wear to the soft tough items, the Concert HU is perfect and will not be changed, it'll be receiving the Xcarlink from OEM soon enough.

Once I had finished talking to Nick about everything A2 along with plenty of other vehicles we headed to Newark to grab lunch. On the way there I had the engine revving nicely and dropped a gear a few times to see how it reacted to over taking type manoeuvres. Initially there was some goods puffs of smoke behind me but that settled and put it down to not having an Italian Tune up for a while. When we left newark to head home I done the same again and couldn't get any clouds behind me, cobwebs blown out!

Over the first few days of ownership I started the shopping list for parts and the good members of this amazing Club came to my rescue. Most items from the list were now in hand, some of which were FOC, utterly amazing, thank you, you will all be mentioned in the thread!

The first item to be replaced was the plastic SE gear knob and gaiter, main reason was due to the gaiter has a nick in it so it had to go:
View attachment 72512
It was replaces with this leather Sport Gear Knob and Gaiter, which was donated by Ian @Proghound, thank you very much:
View attachment 72513
The biggest concern to me was the EML but I have struggled to get it displayed again. A scan showed it was a flap issue and the only way it has come back is after not using the car for a few days and the battery drained a little (still on factory battery). When starting after standing a few days I can get the EML on, if I have the battery charged up though, I cannot get the EML to illuminate, so guess this is not a fault but more of an issue thrown up whilst starting on a poor battery. 250 will be receiving OEMs good Bosch battery now it has a shiny new Varta F19 Silver Dynamic fitted. This should resolve the EML showing, but I will keep this under observation.

This is probably enough reading for now so will continue tomorrow with more pictures showing what has already been replaced to get this great A2 prepared for daily use.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

As per comment I put into another thread this sounds a certainty for me to be the classic ASV firmware bug where the EML is flagging up an issue when battery current is lower - when in fact its not an issue at all. @depronman should have the ability to remove the bug via a ECU update.

Hi Tom,

As per comment I put into another thread this sounds a certainty for me to be the classic ASV firmware bug where the EML is flagging up an issue when battery current is lower - when in fact its not an issue at all. @depronman should have the ability to remove the bug via a ECU update.
Thank you Scott,

The ECU might very well be taking a trip to Depronman Towers shortly.

Thank you very much again for the advice, which I will act upon sir!

Kind regards,

Tom

Afternoon all,

Thought I’d go out and give Project 250 a quick wipe over with the Chammy as it’s been say for a few days. The Dodo Juice really does last in the elements and still comes up glorious with a wipe over.

You’ve seen how it looked in Post #1, well this is what it looks like today:
CB6E3DCE-CF77-415F-95C5-EAC58D4F79EC.jpeg

2B0B505D-314E-4255-8DAB-40EEA0D5BD46.jpeg

5D863DE4-49F3-4565-AA3A-6AE4D8F91AE7.jpeg

36245032-383F-4037-AEA9-BF55C049F1F5.jpeg

The paint work, as I stated earlier, really is in great condition for a 217k miles car. The reflection is still produces is excellent, just need a few more layers of Dodo Juice on a summers day to see how good I can get it.

The fading/blur on the RHS of the next 2 images are from the sun behind me, still looks good though:
1AE4D92A-9571-43A7-8571-CE9FFE8FEEF1.jpeg

C87A56BA-E840-4EE3-88D3-0F24BAD2CE89.jpeg

Hope you like what’s happening to the superb A2. It’s about to be put into action of daily use with my wife.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hello again,

Just adding some interior pictures quickly taken. It needs another full detailing now but it can wait as Im sure it’ll be filthy soon enough.

I didn’t take any interior pictures before the cleaning and mini transformation, shame, but here’s what it looks like right now:
EDIT: The seats actually look better ‘in person’ than in the pictures, the pictures make them look stained but I can assure you they are not, they are also a lot darker than they appear in the pictures.
56F5A42C-157E-4D59-A6E2-549328859393.jpeg

61E58630-C68B-4E36-BB3E-EB2F61234D96.jpeg

8D68C1DA-D637-4DA9-936E-25CF390D1531.jpeg

7C798ED0-8099-4B42-A76F-69FA7576F6F1.jpeg

0F7DDC8C-9E62-4638-AD95-2DAC4742985D.jpeg

8F943226-2D05-4E5F-8DE9-D5CAD12C4235.jpeg

Factory battery still has life in it and hasn’t produced the EML for a few days now. I have a good Bosch battery to help out if it proves to be weak during the winter temperatures:
FCDA2D77-BC5C-4FDD-9DBD-6DCB767EA6DC.jpeg

That’s pretty much it for this fantastic purchase for now. Nick @Nicholas Golland I do hope you like the little pampering your old A2 have been receiving. It will be well looked after sir!

The few things I need to attend to is:

1. Replace the thermostat and/or CTS. Probably change both as they’re cheap enough. This will assist with the engine temperature dropping to 70 degrees whilst mobile, rises to 90 degrees when static for a while
2. Still yet to heat up the rear bumper and pop it out. The headlight fog up but that’s an easily sorted as I think I know what the issue is
3. Repair one of the wheel centre caps. It keeps falling out as it not got the metal ring/clip on the inside
4. Soft touch Climate buttons, have possibly got some in the garage somewhere

Kind regards,

Tom

Back to your DIY Sir ..:)

ps those headlights .....is it just a wet sand down or is it the internals thats making it foggy?

Back to your DIY Sir ..:)

ps those headlights .....is it just a wet sand down or is it the internals thats making it foggy?
Afternoon Nathan,

The drivers headlamp does require sanding back as it’s yellowed.

The fogging on the inside of both headlamps is due to the not having the rear covers fitted correctly, one is missing the metal clip to hold said rear cover on and the other is yet to be investigated. I have all the parts here to rectify this though.

Probably sort this issue over the weekend once I’ve finished plastering 3 bedrooms upstairs.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thank you Steve,

The wife has been annoyed/bored with me spending time on it in the evenings but hopefully all will change tomorrow. Its new insurance policy and tax start tomorrow on her Birthday.

She’s not been on it for a few weeks so should be surprised with how it looks when she jumps in it in the morning.

Fingers crossed this will keep her out of my A2.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thank you Steve,

The wife has been annoyed/bored with me spending time on it in the evenings but hopefully all will change tomorrow. Its new insurance policy and tax start tomorrow on her Birthday.

She’s not been on it for a few weeks so should be surprised with how it looks when she jumps it in the morning.

Fingers crossed this will keep her out of my A2.

Kind regards,

Tom
I bought another for exactly the same reason Tom!
Hopefully once my 2nd one is all done she’ll stay out of Bo!

It is amazing what those rug doctor / bissell machines can do to rejuvenate a grubby interior - it's always shocking looking at the colour of the water in the waste water tank too!

Looks like a crack car, well done Tom.
David,

Yes I was shocked at the colour of the water. They really are a fantastic item. The hire was £22 (+£3 for the car attachments) for 24 hours. I done all 3 cars and all 5 sofas. Just brilliant. If one comes up on eBay or Gumtree for a reasonable price I’ll certainly consider purchasing it.

Kind regards,

Tom

David,

Yes I was shocked at the colour of the water. They really are a fantastic item. The hire was £22 (+£3 for the car attachments) for 24 hours. I don’t all 3 cars and all 5 sofas. Just brilliant. If one comes up on eBay or Guntree for a reasonable price I’ll certainly consider purchasing it.

Kind regards,

Tom
Well done Tom
Looks great ?
Another little gem saved and starting to get polished!

Back