Project 90

sciroccorrado

A2OC Donor
IMG-20190126-WA0001.jpg

... nice place to be ...

Spec (original codes according to build sticker):
  • 1.4 TDi 90 Sport (ATL Engine)
  • Red leather sports interior
  • Ebony Black (seems to be a favourite of mine!)
  • Heated Mirrors
  • OSS Sunroof
  • Multi-Function Display (Full DIS)
  • RNS-D
  • 17" Sports Alloys
Upgraded spec (Retrofitted)
  • RNS-E Mk2
  • Votex Body kit
  • Cruise Control
  • More to follow ...
Fuelly MPG log

Last edited:
That's a vivid red on the steering wheel! It's not the standard red ..... OR it could be a trick of the photography, I suppose?

David

That's a vivid red on the steering wheel! It's not the standard red ..... OR it could be a trick of the photography, I suppose?

David

I think it's because it was quite dark. It's the standard Red leather wheel. In very good condition though...

The red steering wheel and arm rests really set off the interior...nice
Notice bulb warning light and condensation in headlights.. sorry to nit pick but very easy jobs.

The red steering wheel and arm rests really set off the interior...nice
Notice bulb warning light and condensation in headlights.. sorry to nit pick but very easy jobs.

No problems picking these things out, the photos were taken just after I picked it up, so a few niggles and issues to resolve.
See my other post for how the bulb out issue was fixed :)

View attachment 47461

View attachment 47462

Not the best photos, it keeps getting dirty though :(

Hi sciroccorrado,
Car looks great, don't know if it will interest you but I found a product that restores worn leather to as good as new, used it on my leather suite then finished off with 'Carrs Leather Oil.' The beauty is that it doesn't need to be an exact colour match, very simple to use and it actually works, if you are interested here's the link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BKV1WKY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All the best ... Tom

Hi sciroccorrado,
Car looks great, don't know if it will interest you but I found a product that restores worn leather to as good as new, used it on my leather suite then finished off with 'Carrs Leather Oil.' The beauty is that it doesn't need to be an exact colour match, very simple to use and it actually works, if you are interested here's the link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BKV1WKY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All the best ... Tom

Thanks Tom, to be honest this doesn't need restoring at all really. A healthy dose of Saddle Soap every now and then will keep it nice and supple :)

Apologies for the delay in putting up some decent photos of the exterior of the car, as soon as I clean it at the moment it gets filthy again so not had the chance to get anywhere to take some pics.

Still getting used to the foibles of the 90bhp engine. Pondering whether the remap will help cure the lack of low down torque, as I keep stalling it when pulling away. The RNS-E is going to be replaced soon, not because it's no good, but more because I have sourced a relatively cheap Mk2 unit, and as I'm used to the Mk2 in BB I need to keep them the same really.

Could the stalling be due to the dual-mass flywheel, takes a while to get used to after the lightweight feel of the 75.
I've always thought the 90s were flat below around 2200 RPM, almost feels as if the handbrake is partially on doesn't it?

Still getting used to the foibles of the 90bhp engine. Pondering whether the remap will help cure the lack of low down torque, as I keep stalling it when pulling away.
I'm following this with interest as I've recently started driving my TDi 90 again and it feels like I need to give it a little more throttle than I'm used to when lifting the clutch.

Could the stalling be due to the dual-mass flywheel, takes a while to get used to after the lightweight feel of the 75.
I've always thought the 90s were flat below around 2200 RPM, almost feels as if the handbrake is partially on doesn't it?

The tdi90 does seem flat below around 2200 RPM and certainly doesn't seem very happy at below 60mph in 5th despite maximum torque being around 1850 rpm.

Thanks for the advice all. It's taking a bit of getting used to as you say, and it doesn't help I keep bouncing between Baby Boomer and 90. For instance I was intending to use BB this week to get to work and back, but this morning Anna's Project X wouldn't start* so she hoofed it to work in Baby, and I had no choice but to use the 90.

I don't know if this is because of the time of year, or perhaps the way I've been using the car, but the fuel consumption of the 90 is pretty awful as well :( I only managed to get 45mpg on the first tankful. Time will tell.

*Poor battery choice by previous owner, it had a 70AH battery in there :( So I have just ordered a new Yuasa 110 to replace it. Yes, you can get them cheaper from Tanya Batteries with a couple of days delivery, but GSF had one in stock for about £10 extra, so I'm going there this afternoon to collect.

Time of year will have something to do with it. From getting 63-68mpg in the summer and autumn, I'm now back in the mid to high 50's on a tankful, for exactly the same journeys. And that's with the thermostat and the Webasto both working properly.

Time of year will have something to do with it. From getting 63-68mpg in the summer and autumn, I'm now back in the mid to high 50's on a tankful, for exactly the same journeys. And that's with the thermostat and the Webasto both working properly.

Normally I would think that's fine, but the same journeys in Baby Boomer are yielding 55-60mpg. As I say, I've been bouncing between the two. But it's early days, and the first fill.

I had no choice but to use the 90.

I don't know if this is because of the time of year, or perhaps the way I've been using the car, but the fuel consumption of the 90 is pretty awful as well :( I only managed to get 45mpg on the first tankful. Time will tell.

*Poor battery choice by previous owner, it had a 70AH battery in there :( So I have just ordered a new Yuasa 110 to replace it. Yes, you can get them cheaper from Tanya Batteries with a couple of days delivery, but GSF had one in stock for about £10 extra, so I'm going there this afternoon to collect.

In my experience, in mixed driving, sub 50 mpg is the norm.

A good old fashioned 'Italian Tune-up' usually helps clears the cobwebs out of the system, I'm currently doing that with my TDI 75, it's as tight as a drum to drive.

I'll be buying a bottle of Millers Oils Diesel Additive tonight and adding it to half a tankful of Shell's premium diesel, makes for a smoother drive and it cleans the fuel system so long as you occasionally run up through the revs.

My old 90 was only ever a few MPG more thirsty than the 75s I'd owned.

My right foot is the enemy if I'm honest - mid 50s for me mainly due to me liking the torque and power from the grunty little remapped 90.

IMO my mpg has increased of late now I have the temp issues fixed -gets up to temperature now faster than its ever done whilst I've owned.

Didn't help that previous mechanic was clueless and put the temp sensor into the fan sensor slot!!

Back