Project Breaker breaker

ICowie

A2OC Donor
Scotland
Here we have my latest project Breaker,breaker. A 2002 black Tdi Sport with 125k, 3 previous owners, black and grey alcantara interior, Bose and a webasto heater.

The car was advertised as being broken for spares but I contacted the guy selling it and asked what the story with it was? Luckily he hadn't sold anything off it yet so I took the plunge and bought the whole car as I felt it was too nice a car to be scrapped. It has a few missing/broken trim pieces and a few warning lights on the dash but it seem to drive quite nicely so I think there's a decent car hiding in there somewhere and I do like a challenge so wish me luck folks ;)

139283265_749264712463627_3137231904813756616_n.jpg

138390231_704758336849977_8640655421628860710_n.jpg

138391734_265587088285088_640412516538569270_n.jpg

138167227_740491786577999_2204840892825941459_n.jpg

138050207_161850502052360_5222171972496792945_n.jpg

Looks nice. Why do people break such good cars? ?

Usually cuz they're worth more in spares than you'd get for it complete but luckily I managed to charm the guy into selling it to me ? It does need a good few jobs doing to make it a nice car again and can see why your average person would scrap it but I've got another breaker car that I can use to replace alot of the broken/missing trims. It needs an oil level sensor and the airbag light is on but the airbag switch in the glovebox is missing so I'm hoping that's what's putting the light on but I'll stick the laptop on and see what code come up ?

Saw this on the FB group - go on then, what’s the full list of jobs? I for one would like to understand what pushes such a nice looking example dripping with toys over the edge into borderline breaker (breaker) territory!

Head unit missing, oil level sensor and airbag light on, glovebox broken, lower dash trim below the steering wheel broken/missing, fog light surround missing and center grill broken, both rear window winders and seat belt clip broken, I suspect it needs a new thermostat and the wheels need a refurb but I'm sure I'll find more as I get further into it but so far nothing too serious more just time than money oh and the rear passenger door has a dent/scrape along the length of it

Ok - yes definitely a project and with so many things obviously broken inside or being flashed up in full view of the driver, that does spoil the magic I suppose.

Seems to me that the owner should have kept on top of things as they broke, but like many people, they were happy to let the niggles pile up. A car is one of the biggest expenses in your life after a house and children, so I don’t understand why people neglect / don’t look after theirs - they’d rather not spend the money, but then throw that money away -and more- on “something newer” that then depreciates (especially when they repeat the habit and don’t look after that car either!).

I’ll put the axe and grinder down now...

There's no faults there that are too serious, the car drives really nice so with a bit of time and effort and fingers crossed not too much cash I should make it into a nice car for it's next owner. Well spec'd A2's are getting harder to find so the thought of this one being broken just didn't sit right with me

the airbag light is on but the airbag switch in the glovebox is missing

Earlyer cars did not come with the airbag switch in the glove box. Do you mean it is not fitted or has been removed?

I'm not sure tbh I opened the glovebox and the lid fell off and ai noticed the coin holder had been removed so I just presumed the switch was missing aswell, I didn't realise the early cars didn't have them ?

Does indeed look like it will turn into a really nice example within a short period of time. A couple of days scrubbing up the interior and missing bits replacement and you wil be well on the way to recovery. As for the air bag light I would remove, clean and check the connectors under the front seats as they can be easily damaged. Do this after disconnecting the battery although you will still need VCDS to reset the warning light. Certainly worth doing a fluids flush on engine, gearbox, brakes and coolant.

I did think about the connections under the seat cuz I know if you slide the seats fully back it can disturb the connectors and put the light on. I'm planning on removing the seats and carpets to give them a good scrub so I'll do that at the same time

If you can I would leave the carpets in the car as they mold to the body shape. If you remove them to wash them they may not fit correctly when you go to put them back in. Use a wet vac system on them in situ. You can hire a Rug Doctor to do all the carpets and the seats easily in a morning. Rest of the interior good old Elbow Grease is ideal. I use a Rug Doctor Spot Cleaner Portable and find it fantastic on the car. May be worth scanning the car now to see what all very old issues and what are more current.

the airbag light is on but the airbag switch in the glovebox is missing

Earlyer cars did not come with the airbag switch in the glove box. Do you mean it is not fitted or has been removed?

The airbag switch was an option that came with front ISOFIT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure tbh I opened the glovebox and the lid fell off and ai noticed the coin holder had been removed so I just presumed the switch was missing aswell, I didn't realise the early cars didn't have them

It comes with front ISOFIT I’m not 100% if it was an option or if it’s on all 5 seater cars or both....

It comes with front ISOFIT I’m not 100% if it was an option or if it’s on all 5 seater cars or both....

Also you can tell if it has it or not as it would have an airbag light on the roof panel new the dome light

Just a word of caution amidst all the excitement, when something has not been looked after properly, for goodness sake do a cambelt and waterpump because it is guaranteed to be needed!

Looks like a cracking car potentially.

Regards

S

Yes that goes without saying, because the car came to me with zero history it'll be getting a full service, T belt, waterpump and fluid changes prior to the sale

Back