Project de-chav TDI

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
A few weeks ago during the -10 degree cold snap I picked up a bit of a bargain. Advertised on Facebook as having a gearbox problem and being very stiff to get into gear, I took a punt on it.

It’s sat outside for a couple of weeks with my pine green having taken priority and of course Christmas.

Having now had time to have a look at the gearbox and drive the car, I can only conclude that the gearbox had water ingress from an incorrectly fitted drain cup and the water had physically frozen in the low temperatures.

I changed the gearbox oil on it last night and did a gear cable reset and it’s now changing beautifully.

I’ve decided to run this car alongside pine green as it will allow me to have a car on the road while I do some of the bigger jobs left to do on pine green without the need to rush to get the car back on the road for work on a Monday morning.

My plans for the car are to essentially de-chav it. I would have thought it was the best thing since sliced bread 5-10 years back, but now being closer to 40 I’d feel a bit silly driving it as it is.

So I need to

- change the LED side repeaters for standard ones
- remove the wind deflectors
- remove the blue headlight bulbs
- de-tint the rear quarter windows
- remove and sell the OZ alloys

I think a black TDI A2 is a great car in itself that doesn’t need any bells and whistles but I’ll be making the following changes for my own preference

- a set of 15 inch winter tyres
- gloss black paint the lower plastics
- sport spec steering wheel and gearstick
- sport spec seats

02ED50EC-85FA-47CA-B348-59F1EAB894EF.jpeg
252019EF-0686-4AE2-B0A7-6315E2CB3C69.jpeg

Sweet looking ride!!
Golden question how do you insure it have you a mulit-car or traders policy or classis having just got a second myself this is a bridge I Need to cross soonish

Sweet looking ride!!
Golden question how do you insure it have you a mulit-car or traders policy or classis having just got a second myself this is a bridge I Need to cross soonish
I went with Churchill, having 0 NCB because it’s on the green car the policy was £212 for the year 👍

I think that looks great, Steve. Heart warming gearbox tale, well done Sir. Helped by being ebony needless to say.

Happy New Year.

First commute in the black TDI today, handles well, ride is pretty good considering the 40 profile tyres but i've got a few things to sort now. It didn't warm up on the 25 minute commute; I know it's cold but i would have expected some movement so a new thermostat and coolant temp sensor are on the cards.

It's also going into limp mode under hard acceleration and i can hear turbo pressure escaping. The car came with a new MAP sensor which I changed last weekend, so i'm guessing there's a boost leak on one of the pipes. Will take a look.

I've also bought a set of 15 inch winter tyres on steel rims and a mint condition set of Audi 80 wheel trims. Not everyones cup of tea, but i love the way they look on an A2 and should make the ride even better.

4942FBAA-8E76-41FF-99E9-FBB92AE23E0B.jpg

Back