Project Joe

damadgeruk

Admin Team
I need to stop looking at A2 sale ads though they turned out my new project this week. A poorly Akoya popped up locally.
IMG_20190904_164544-1612x1209.jpg

It's suffering from a blown EGR cooler pipe which I'm struggling to find a new replacement for. Leading to next question. EGR removal doesn't typically include cooler pipe removal though will ATL(BHC) cope with the EGR cooler pipe removed and both ends blanked?

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
My last 90 had an Allard tuning egr delete pipe on it, so i'm guessing that as long as the EGR is removed electronically with a map then it should be fine.

P stamp

I need to stop looking at A2 sale ads though they turned out my new project this week. A poorly Akoya popped up locally. View attachment 56089
It's suffering from a blown EGR cooler pipe which I'm struggling to find a new replacement for. Leading to next question. EGR removal doesn't typically include cooler pipe removal though will ATL(BHC) cope with the EGR cooler pipe removed and both ends blanked?
I have done this to my tdi 90 with no problems what so ever.EGR completely removed and straight through pipe installed,cooling system removed,remapped and car is totally transformed,no problems on the last three mot's after this

damadgeruk

Admin Team
I should have known though I had error 19586 - EGR system regulation range exceeded after blanking the EGR pipe at the manifold. I'll investigate
Take out the cooler as well no point in leaving it in if removing the egr valve
Planning to fit EGR delete and remove holed cooler. Is the coolant easy to join through? I know access is awkward, happy enough with EGR and manifold mods just coolant I'm unsure of as I haven't seen them so far.

P stamp

I should have known though I had error 19586 - EGR system regulation range exceeded after blanking the EGR pipe at the manifold. I'll investigate

Planning to fit EGR delete and remove holed cooler. Is the coolant easy to join through? I know access is awkward, happy enough with EGR and manifold mods just coolant I'm unsure of as I haven't seen them so far.
I jointed the rubber hoses together when removing the egr cooler,just make sure the hose with the air release screw on is facing up (so air can be released).It is a bit tight to remove the cooler,but very doable all needs mapping out so you dont get any fault codes.I will be having my Q3 remapped and egr blank also this week hopefully

damadgeruk

Admin Team
Cleaning up nicely, treated to some leather...
IMG_20190907_154422-3024x2268.jpg

Soft touch is the best I've seen.
IMG_20190907_154441.jpg

And two free McDs coffee beans. 😀
Still to be cut and polished though the potential is clear.
IMG_20190907_194609-3024x2268.jpg

Cobalt TDI departed with its new owner to Ayrshire today, looks like Bo the blue storm will be going to a new home too followed by the FSI (so I have space for the next one). 😀
New discs and pads all round and EGR delete due next week.

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Looking good David. Sounds like you are smitten with this one if you trimming the fleet?

damadgeruk

Admin Team
Looking good David. Sounds like you are smitten with this one if you trimming the fleet?
No, just trying to keep a roof over my head.😂 Cheryl is an incredible lady though #6 really didn't go down well. I am smitten though and Cheryl has calmed down enough to have noticed the purple hint in the Akoya today. 😀

damadgeruk

Admin Team
Found and removed this haggis living on the exhaust.
IMG_20190912_220037.jpg

Cooler pipe had a hole that someone had attempted to repair.
IMG_20190912_220105.jpg

Now blanked at manifold, EGR delete pipe fitted (£30) and coolant hose joined through with a section of 22mm copper which was handy.
IMG_20190912_134251.jpg

IMG_20190912_165530.jpg

ASV refitted, EGR vac pipe blocked though still getting 19586 — EGR System - P3130 - 35-10 - Regulation Range Exceeded (EGR mapped out).
IMG_20190912_175144.jpg

Last edited:
Found and removed this haggis living on the exhaust.
View attachment 56367
Cooler pipe had a hole that someone had attempted to repair.
View attachment 56368
Now blanked at manifold, EGR delete pipe fitted (£30) and coolant hose joined through with a section of 22mm copper which was handy.
View attachment 56369
View attachment 56371
ASV refitted, EGR vac pipe blocked though still getting 19586 — EGR System - P3130 - 35-10 - Regulation Range Exceeded (EGR mapped out).
View attachment 56372
Great write up with pics 👍where was the delete kit available from and what are the benefits put into layman’s terms ..I was going to get the egr delete done on an upcoming re map ..but what is the advantage of also doing this ..I think 🤔 the reply would be great for a few of us that don’t understand this ...

depronman

A2OC Donor
Upside of EGR removal -
cleaner engine intake, better running (cooler intake air), reduced particulate matter (measured on MOT)
Downside -
longer warm up times (EGR heats the engine water), slight increase in NOx, removal is technically illegal

damadgeruk

Admin Team
Great write up with pics 👍where was the delete kit available from and what are the benefits put into layman’s terms ..I was going to get the egr delete done on an upcoming re map ..but what is the advantage of also doing this ..I think 🤔 the reply would be great for a few of us that don’t understand this ...
EGR delete here,

damadgeruk

Admin Team
Upside of EGR removal -
cleaner engine intake, better running (cooler intake air), reduced particulate matter (measured on MOT)
Downside -
longer warm up times (EGR heats the engine water), slight increase in NOx, removal is technically illegal
EGR only assists coolant warm up on BHC and ATL, AMF EGR pipe isn't plumbed into the cooling system (though heated intake air may assist coolant heating).

depronman

A2OC Donor
EGR only assists coolant warm up on BHC and ATL, AMF EGR pipe isn't plumbed into the cooling system (though heated intake air may assist coolant heating).
Yes I should have said the warm up comment only applies to BHC and ATL engines (was replying to the original picture above for the ATL)