Project lockdown

Clackers

Wales
I've never done a project thread before even though I have done a few of them, nothing to the level of some I've seen on here, but more of a make them good again...
I'm en route to Birmingham as I type this to collect something I've hankered after for a while...a castle red A2, always fancied a tdi version, but this fsi has turned up...
Whilst speaking to the seller, he was keen that someone tried to save the car and not just scrap it, when he read that I had an Fsi breaker, he contacted me and agreed the sale.
I'm sure plenty of you on here get the collywobbles when going to buy a car, especially when you are buying them blind...I've always been wary of descriptions etc, and aslo wary that I can travel for a few hours to be scammed...thankfully the seller said no deposit needed as I sounded a genuine buyer, lets hope he keeps to his side of the bargain....
I will now update this thread as I go along, wish me luck!

I've never done a project thread before even though I have done a few of them, nothing to the level of some I've seen on here, but more of a make them good again...
I'm en route to Birmingham as I type this to collect something I've hankered after for a while...a castle red A2, always fancied a tdi version, but this fsi has turned up...
Whilst speaking to the seller, he was keen that someone tried to save the car and not just scrap it, when he read that I had an Fsi breaker, he contacted me and agreed the sale.
I'm sure plenty of you on here get the collywobbles when going to buy a car, especially when you are buying them blind...I've always been wary of descriptions etc, and aslo wary that I can travel for a few hours to be scammed...thankfully the seller said no deposit needed as I sounded a genuine buyer, lets hope he keeps to his side of the bargain....
FSIs don't need luck, they need faith.
(A little Hope & Charity would not go amiss though).
Mac.

Good luck with the project Andy,

We need more people adding what they’re doing to their A2s.

It’s only reading through previous project threads (and a little nudge by Steve @A2Steve) that spurred me on to start the OEM thread and to tackle what I have achieved using what I had read as inspiration.

The more threads going will only add to what is possible with a bit of time along with the odd brave pill.

Looking forward to reading as you go along sir.

Kind regards,

Tom

Well, turned up, so did the owner, he walked me round the car pointing out the odd scratch here and there...I was busy looking at the mudflaps and rear pdc that I hadn't noticed in the pictures!!!
We then went on to check the inside out...he apologised for the dirty mats...whilst I was busy looking at the cruise stalk!
We then went to the boot to show me the ferodo discs and pads that he hadn't got round to fitting...I was busy looking at the false floor and spare wheel!
So far so good I thought...its turned out to be a good impulse purchase.
We exchanged money and V5, I started her up and it ticked over nicely, but sounded somewhat odd under the car...this is where he announced that it didn't have a cat, and his mate had removed it and put a straight pipe there instead...needless to say I had an instant eml on...it is an fsi after all!!!
I bid him farewell and headed off, all good so far...till I reached the roundabout, brake pedal very low, but my clenched butt cheeks slowed the car down somewhat!!!
The car then dropped a cylinder and she ran on three cylinders all the way home...cruise worked a treat though.
Pics to follow, and see if I can sort that misfire out with a set of new coil packs(aftermarket ones fitted).
So far so good...

Quick update again...had 10mins look around the engine bay for possible causes of cylinder no.4 misfire...someone has been in there before me (again!)...this is going to be a long haul job! They have had a tinker with the coil pack wiring, so looks like I may end up having to replace the cables from the main loom to the coil packs...damn!
I also noticed that the heat shield for the exhaust was missing, and the dipstick tube and oil filler pipe are now toast...melted all the way down to the engine, thankfully I have a couple spare, so that will be a job for bank holiday weekend for me! It also looks suspicious with the amount of cable ties holding things in place in the engine bay...this car has obviously had work done by either a driveway mechanic or some backstreet 'that'll do' mechanic...dear oh dear...
Pics to follow...
Large sigh and breathe!

Yes we do. Adam and I have been bringing my daughters ebony car up to standard since last Sept, we have taken pictures along the way and I do plan to add a project thread at some stage.

good luck Andy!

Ian
I look like I'm into this one for a long old haul ...but will update with pics as I go along..
First problem is the coil pack cylinder 4 problem..

Attachments

• 20210330_093212.jpg
    20210330_093212.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • 20210330_093229.jpg
    20210330_093229.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 190
Right, quick update whilst slurping my coffee...
Turns out the coil packs were new, as were the spark plugs, nice strong spark at the spark plug, so, this then means I had a problem elsewhere.
Using a mechanics stethoscope, you could clearly hear 1,2 & 3 injectors giving out a nice clear crack on injection, injector four sounded like someone trying to clap in gloves...nothing like the other three. Good news is that the lower intake manifold was coming off anyway to replace the actuator.
all stripped down, turns out I didn't just need the actuator, the whole lower inlet manifold needing replacing due to the elliptical end coming off in about 10 pieces...good job I had a spare!
replaced all the injectors with a set that I had cleaned by injector tune, rebuilt the top end....now the moment of truth...will it, won't it? First turn of the key and it fired up perfectly and purred....so, from a spares or repairs car destined for the breakers yard, I now have a perfectly running fsi!
now to sort some of the niggly bits...get rid of the oon cha oon cha stereo from Halfords and re fit a standard Audi head unit...much more aesthetically pleasing...new window switches, new drivers door lock, new drivers door check strap, and a good valet inside, I only managed to give it a mop and fine polish last night, before rain stopped play, will get round to waxing it this weekend all being well.
I can then look at finding it a new home, knowing it will be a good un.

One of the error codes showed 'air leak detected....suppose this isn't going to help is it?
dipstick1.jpg

Good job I had a spare!
dipstick2.jpg

Then for the climate and stereo change

Stereoclimate.jpg

Good job I had a spare (bit of a pattern emerging here!!!)

Stereo2.jpg

Further replacement parts to be fitted over the weekend, seeing as I've got some spares!!!

Looking a lot better and a very nice colour. Is it sitting a bit low at the back or the boot full?

Boot is empty! It does look low, I'm wondering if it is on original springs that have sagged...fortunately I have some spare springs lol, will probably throw those on this week to see if it levels the heights out...handles well though

Back