Project Phat

nicollow

I’ve owned my A2 for only a few months now, but it’s already won me over. Being an engineer and having an allergic reaction to rust, I seem to have amassed aluminium vehicles. I have a VX220 and an A8, both of which I have tinkered with. I suspected that the A2 would get more of the same treatment and as ever I couldn’t resist.

I bought the car from a really nice local lady who has had it from new. I don’t think I’ve ever managed to cycle to pick a car up! It’s got a few scrapes here and there but it’s in great condition generally. The plan was to just use it to commute and pootle about town, but having seen an A2 with TT Comps/Phat Fives on it a while ago, I knew it needed a set stuck on.

Ive modded the dash to fit a double din, I’ve built a sub to go under the false floor in the boot and there are some more ICE things in the pipeline.

Hopefully there will be some more photos on the way. Thanks for a great knowledge resource, it’s great to have such a useful bunch when it comes to keeping cars on the road

Attachments

• FEDA2BE3-3D4A-4BCC-AF5D-D4833467B0E4.jpeg
    FEDA2BE3-3D4A-4BCC-AF5D-D4833467B0E4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 331
Thanks guys. Yeah it’s a great wee car. It’s a tdi 75 SE. 125k ish miles. With so much previous history and receipts it was weighing the car down when I picked it up.

I’ve been tinkering with an iPhone mount/dock tonight. I realised that the genuine apple one is only a couple of millimetres wider than the cup holder. So I milled it back and it fits a treat. Still need to properly integrate it, but looks really neat

Attachments

• 03F1E788-B588-4AB8-AA5C-17A95E72E0EA.jpeg
    03F1E788-B588-4AB8-AA5C-17A95E72E0EA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 291
  • F13C9BEB-E106-4FC1-AFC4-F9948AFCD95A.jpeg
    F13C9BEB-E106-4FC1-AFC4-F9948AFCD95A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 295
  • 4311A877-7A32-4D32-A465-EF843E68484A.jpeg
    4311A877-7A32-4D32-A465-EF843E68484A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 288
I’ve owned my A2 for only a few months now, but it’s already won me over. Being an engineer and having an allergic reaction to rust, I seem to have amassed aluminium vehicles. I have a VX220 and an A8, both of which I have tinkered with. I suspected that the A2 would get more of the same treatment and as ever I couldn’t resist.

I bought the car from a really nice local lady who has had it from new. I don’t think I’ve ever managed to cycle to pick a car up! It’s got a few scrapes here and there but it’s in great condition generally. The plan was to just use it to commute and pootle about town, but having seen an A2 with TT Comps/Phat Fives on it a while ago, I knew it needed a set stuck on.

Ive modded the dash to fit a double din, I’ve built a sub to go under the false floor in the boot and there are some more ICE things in the pipeline.

Hopefully there will be some more photos on the way. Thanks for a great knowledge resource, it’s great to have such a useful bunch when it comes to keeping cars on the road
from that Picture some one like Kilimanjaro Coffee House welcome along !

Thanks guys. Yeah it’s a great wee car. It’s a tdi 75 SE. 125k ish miles. With so much previous history and receipts it was weighing the car down when I picked it up.

I’ve been tinkering with an iPhone mount/dock tonight. I realised that the genuine apple one is only a couple of millimetres wider than the cup holder. So I milled it back and it fits a treat. Still need to properly integrate it, but looks really neat

Would you be willing to make another for me, assuming it works well as a solution? I’ve been pestering Timmus for this for some time but he doesn’t have the time.

I’ve been pestering Timmus for this for some time but he doesn’t have the time.
I've finally upgraded from my iPhone 4S to a Lightning-based iPhone, so all of a sudden my car's iPhone dock is no longer compatible... :(
Developing a Lightning-based version of this dock is a priority, but it's impossible for me to devote any time to the matter until my house is habitable. I currently have a bedroom, but no bathroom or kitchen. If Jessica catches me developing more A2 upgrades instead of working on the house, she may leave me!

I've finally upgraded from my iPhone 4S to a Lightning-based iPhone, so all of a sudden my car's iPhone dock is no longer compatible... :(
Developing a Lightning-based version of this dock is a priority, but it's impossible for me to devote any time to the matter until my house is habitable. I currently have a bedroom, but no bathroom or kitchen. If Jessica catches me developing more A2 upgrades instead of working on the house, she may leave me!
Without doubt your home life comes first ..and your good lady deserves a bathroom and a kitchen good luck ?..I once said to sally women have smaller feet for a reason as they can get closer to the sink ?? yes I did get a slap ..

Last edited:
Would you be willing to make another for me, assuming it works well as a solution? I’ve been pestering Timmus for this for some time but he doesn’t have the time.

I think I messaged regarding one of these for an iPhone X when I read a post from Timmus....it has to be the best use of the passenger cup holder ever!!!!

from that Picture some one like Kilimanjaro Coffee House welcome along !

? yup yup. Killi coffee ftw

The dock works really well. I have a bumper around my phone and so it doesn’t wobble about in the dock. If the phone didn’t have a bumper/case there is danger it might rattle about a bit.

I might be able to get some made up but the price might be pretty high. The dock itself is £50 new

I know what you mean Tom,

I’m in the middle of 3 bedrooms going back to bare brick for a complete rewire and insulating the exterior walls followed by plastering band decoration 1 down 2 to go. I am desperate to remove my rear bumper to for the PDC sensors but Susan will probably kick me out if I prioritise my A2 over our bedroom.

I have always liked your iPhone holder and have often thought about doing it myself. Maybe one day!

Kind regards,

Tom

Happy wife happy life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been fettling with some of the in car stuff of late, including (starting) fitting a reverse camera. It'll be mounted to the trim next to the boot release. The one I have doesnt have enough positional adjustment, so there is another one on the way. Suspect I'll have to wait until its a bit warmer before I get around to finishing the install of it though. Oh for the luxury of a heated garage!

Did a bit of tidying of the sub area too. Pretty neat, and with space for a 4 channel amp in the future perhaps?

Attachments

• IMG_4566.JPG
    IMG_4566.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4567.JPG
    IMG_4567.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 179
Also had a bit of a suspension fail in the snow, whilst "exploring the limits of grips with the handbrake". Front left control arm sheared. Luckily managed to limp home and swap the broken bits over. Thanks for the info on the forum about fitting! Did both sides while I was at it. The left side bolt snapped off in the casting, so rather than helicoiling I bought a second hand one off eBay which worked a treat. Car back up and running now. Missed the think over the last couple of weeks!

Attachments

• IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_4830.JPG
    IMG_4830.JPG