Project RN53/RNSE (2004 Dolphin Grey TDI AMF)

2work

Well Known Member
United-Kingdom
Good evening all,

May I take the pleasure of introducing you all to Project RN53/RNSE:
C85D888F-B941-44F1-8234-B7EF4BB8D34D.jpeg

As you can see, the VRN is where the name was derived but even more so when you see what’s lacking once you’re sat in the vehicle:
BDA07F64-BBCF-47EA-A448-9F7BE641CC63.jpeg

You’ll know that I do like meddling with an RNS-E so quite a fitting name I hope you agree, seems like I’ll be swapping dashboard number 3 in as many weeks!

This is the start of yet another thread that I’ll update at key stages, but I must say that this will be a ‘slowly but surely’ type of project. There is no immediate rush with this one as I’m still investigating the faults it come with.

Have a great evening everyone.

Kind regards,

Tom

What engine is in this one Tom? Is this for your use?
Evening Steve,

It’s a TDI and I’m sure I noticed it’s an AMF from when I had VCDS out. It’s a 2004 (53) so could quite easily be a BHC though, I’ll check in the morning.

As you know I’ve got a family member who is after an A2 and I also have a desire to have a darker coloured A2 so the final decision on its destiny is yet to be finalised.

It’s got some way to go before it’s able to be used on the road though.

Kind regards,

Tom

Morning all,

After a weekend of cleaning, mainly the interior as it was not up to my usuals standard I found the 3 footwell mats were aftermarket so had to be swapped.

So the first couple of additions to Project RNSE are a full set of factory carpeted mats and a set of worn TT foot pedal covers:
59749843-6462-49BF-B1D0-2A2037E11E40.jpeg

These will start the tidier footwell look but will be complemented soon enough with the bespoke footrest I purchased on the recent group order. This should improve the look down below.

I’m still compiling the list of jobs that are required to get this back to daily use which I’ll share with you in the coming days. Time outside on this one is very limited as family must take precedence, but it’ll get exactly what is required (and more) to get it another 12 month MOT ticket

Kind regards,

Tom

Good luck with that, Tom

Shall follow with interest in the coming weeks. Your plug leads, door rubber and rear bumper are very happy in their new home aboard "Battersea"
for which many thanks.

All the best to you.

Good luck with that, Tom

Shall follow with interest in the coming weeks. Your plug leads, door rubber and rear bumper are very happy in their new home aboard "Battersea"
for which many thanks.

All the best to you.
Morning Simon,

Hope all is good with you and yours.

Cannot recall supplying the parts you mention but my brain is like a sieve sometimes. Glad Battersea is in great fettle.

I’ll be back outside this afternoon for an hour to continue to inspect the vehicle and will hopefully get some exterior and interior pictures.

Kind regards,

Tom

Oooh looks niceeee
Afternoon Jeremy,

It does look pretty good until close up unfortunately. I’ll get some pictures added once I’ve finished the cleaning process and applied a layer of polish and wax.

The main aesthetically pleasing look going for it is of course the Votex kit but what looks like the incorrect adhesive used has failed. I could probably pull the front and rear valances away from their bumper by just removing the torx screws within the wheel arches. I think a complete removal, clean off old adhesive and correctly/better reapply it is the only way to make it better to the eye.

This will get there though as it’s work I’m more than willing to do to save this one.

Kind regards,

Tom

Afternoon all,

Whilst I wait for better weather to get some pictures to you I thought I’d share my findings with this little gem which requires some polish.

I was alerted to this A2s availability after reaching out prior to the festive period for any indication of another Votex kit that’s available. One actually turned up in Dolphin Grey which is perfect for the intended recipient vehicle (Project 250) but the seller has gone quiet, guess it’s already gone elsewhere. So out of the blue I was contacted by a friend and informed that this particular A2 was available within 4 minutes of it being advertised on another platform. A few minutes later I was chatting to the seller and we agreed on a few specifics and I headed over to collect, the bonus was that this A2 was a mere 20 minutes away.

Here the picture I was sent on Thursday that got me interested:

B086E5AB-DFD9-4F08-B3E7-DC07A51CF27A.jpeg

7CE2A272-9243-4AB7-B0B0-11F380896E6F.jpeg

AF3B8A89-2AB2-45B7-A6C4-3751AE95959C.jpeg

CB38EC7D-A432-494B-B871-FD289D0C9EBD.jpeg

Looks rather nice doesn’t it. So pleased with the tip off I received to obtain this A2, thank you.

As you’ve possibly seen on the Today I… thread, the vehicle was parked up with its new step siblings a few hours later:

9E50DF56-5E69-437A-8473-FC3CD7DB1750.jpeg

Looks quite at home with its new family!

Kind regards,

Tom

Love the seats, look to be in pretty good nick.
Afternoon ,

Yes the black SE leather seats with lumbar support have cleaned up very nicely. Not yet condition them as still removing layers of grime but they’re getting there. They have the incorrect headrests but I’m sure the A3/TT/Golf items will do until I find a pair of factory replacements.

The biggest bonus with these particular seats is upon looking underneath is noticing the green connector on each of the fronts. I can confirm that they are indeed heated. I have got the correct connectors and double DIN climate unit with heated seat rollers. Guess I’ll be getting the soldering iron and wiring schematics out tk conduct the heated seat retrofit.

Kind regards,

Tom

Oooh Dolphin AND Votex - could it BE any sexier :eek:

Looking good Tom.

Afternoon Jeremy and Erling,

Yes it looks great. I’ll give it my usual attention to detail once it’s obtained a 12 month MOT ticket. Looking forward to getting the tools out on this one. There is a fantastic car beneath the necessary work it requires.

Plenty more to follow in the coming weeks.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening all,

Continuing with my findings.

The bad I’ve come across so far:

1. Requires 4 tyres and wheel refurb.
2. Requires brakes replacing at each corner.
3. Handbrake is vertical so guessing needs new cables.
4. Front suspension items failed and need replacing.
5. Aircon leaking so need to investigate which item(s) has(have) failed.
6. Starter motor slow and squeals, hoping an additional earth strap will help out.
7. Difficult to take out 5th gear so at least needs new gearbox oil and cable adjustment. Fingers crossed the tower is alright.
8. Reverse light comes on when in neutral unless gearstick held to the right, might be linked to point 7, but could just as easily be an issue with the tower.
9. All carpets wet so water ingress from doors probably.
10. Needs new battery.
11. Only 1 jacking point cover.
12. Exhaust needs welding attention.
13. CTS and thermostat failed.
14. Headlining starting to go so will look to finally have a black headlining and roof furniture I suppose.
15. Drivers door check strap need replacing.
16. Wiper arm needs a refurb. I’ll be in touch with Paul for this and item 15.
17. Requires black leather drivers and passenger headrest.
18. Full Votex removal and refitting.
19. Heated seats require retrofitting.

Probably a few more but I cannot complain as it was acquired for a decent price.

Kind regards,

Tom

Me again,

Yes the list above looks to be long but totally achievable given time and funds.

The above list can also be made easier to read by understanding the good:

1. Hey, it’s Dolphin Grey A2 with Votex, it doesn’t get much better!
2. Black leather heated SE seats with electric lumbar.
3. DIS as it’s a sport model which has yet to show a dead pixel.
4. No faults from scan which is very pleasing.
5. Working glove box light, priceless!
6. Feels like it’s had a specific remap or uprated turbo as it flies. Noticeably different than both OEM and 250.

As I stated above, this list certainly outweighs the list in Post #16.

Kind regards,

Tom

Depending on your budget and whether you would prefer new, the front discs and pads on my current breaker look to be relatively new. I could also help with the battery as the one on the TDI breaker is a good one, held its charge for at least 3 weeks. Let me know Tom.

I think, 1 + 2 make that a very desirable motor...
Totally agree Jeremy,

Thinking it would be nice to have a double DIN dashboard conversion, RNS-E PU along with a thumb roller type MFSW upgrade minimum. I’ll get the mechanicals sorted first before the retrofit marathon starts though.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back