Project Ruby

A2 Louis

Banned
Hi all Today I brought another A2 :) No surprise there !!!!?

I don’t know what to call Him/her yet ?

Any ideas anyone ???

Anyway here He/She is

Owned for 10 years so the owners are sad to see it go

Basic sport model but she won’t be like that for long:)

6BF630A9-E730-4185-B0DA-FBA535D420AD.jpeg
10FC1FA8-3722-4B9F-9667-53B6E7FD59C7.jpeg
8DD4323E-1E4D-41CF-847B-FC1EBD8D3F7C.jpeg
CDE5A194-A0D8-462F-B850-6844325E29D7.jpeg
89127E80-CB81-4E75-BE83-21E7AF8190D5.jpeg
81437B71-E037-45E4-8935-9FA0CC70CFA2.jpeg
5C394D7A-91EA-4D62-A3FF-98D88A1B2FD3.jpeg
E553F17C-93B7-4C53-9131-B4148B6F4B5F.jpeg

Our AUA had a lambda sensor and catalytic convertor that needed to be replaced last year. It appears (in retrospect) that this was secondary to the car running rich on at least one cylinder and chucking a lot of fuel into the exhaust, largely because of age / mileage and lack of servicing that resulted in worn / dirty injectors, the EGR / throttle body being full of tar and an intermittent misfire (old plugs, old cables, coil severely compromised due to age (cracking in the casing meaning that sparks were being lost).

Compared to an FSi - though which you obviously have a lot of experience of - the solution to get an AUA running sweetly appears to be relatively simple and will be well within your capabilities ; I replaced TB & EGR, spark plugs, cables, injectors were sent to Injectortune to refurbish, new Bosch coil, and the oil catcher (if this hasn't been cleaned, the throttle body and plastic casing above this will be extremely oily). If you're lucky, the various bits of pipework between air filter and the TB will be intact and not cracked. I was able to do all of these which demonstrates that they are utter childs' play compared to anything like the FSi intake manifold and the things you've taken on.

Hopefully you won't even have to replace the majority of these, although doing all of them would probably be a good idea with a car of any significant mileage (ours was on >185,000 and I suspect most of the above were original!).

Best of luck!

Our AUA had a lambda sensor and catalytic convertor that needed to be replaced last year. It appears (in retrospect) that this was secondary to the car running rich on at least one cylinder and chucking a lot of fuel into the exhaust, largely because of age / mileage and lack of servicing that resulted in worn / dirty injectors, the EGR / throttle body being full of tar and an intermittent misfire (old plugs, old cables, coil severely compromised due to age (cracking in the casing meaning that sparks were being lost).

Compared to an FSi - though which you obviously have a lot of experience of - the solution to get an AUA running sweetly appears to be relatively simple and will be well within your capabilities ; I replaced TB & EGR, spark plugs, cables, injectors were sent to Injectortune to refurbish, new Bosch coil, and the oil catcher (if this hasn't been cleaned, the throttle body and plastic casing above this will be extremely oily). If you're lucky, the various bits of pipework between air filter and the TB will be intact and not cracked. I was able to do all of these which demonstrates that they are utter childs' play compared to anything like the FSi intake manifold and the things you've taken on.

Hopefully you won't even have to replace the majority of these, although doing all of them would probably be a good idea with a car of any significant mileage (ours was on >185,000 and I suspect most of the above were original!).

Best of luck!
Just rang the owner and he’s said he changed the lambda sensor last MOT as it failed on emissions

Now apparently it just needs a new MOT and tidying up ?

The last two advisories on the last MOT are shown below?

012BAEAA-8EC1-4294-A4E0-D3964C8DE38E.png

I’ve just ordered 2 brand new Anti-roll-bar links and I’ll fit them Tuesday when she gets delivered as I hope to book her in for a MOT this Friday?

Just ordered Ruby some welcoming goodies :)?;)?

Oil filter

Fuel filter

Air filter

Cabin filter

4 New spark plugs

2 new Anti-Roll-bar links as that was a advisory last time

Sump plug

Screen wash

Castrol 5W/30 Oil

Also she’s a BBY engine not a AUA Engine @Robin_Cox
Ours is also a 52 plate, but probably just before the change-over, and definitely an AUA. Biggest differences with yours will be the separate coil packs, and possibly the oil separator ; I think pretty well everything else is similar (subject to being corrected). Sounds like a decent basis for a project - best of luck!

Update everyone

Unfortunately I’m getting Ruby early morning tomorrow as my recovery guy has broken down this morning !!!

luckily I’ve managed to find someone else to do the job and I will be getting her at 2am in the morning :) ?

Back