Protecting my car and wallet

Gritty

Dont know about you people but lock down seems to have brought the worst out in some drivers and after some close shaves recently caused by breath taking stupid idiots drivers mostly big German car owners, 4x4s and wvm, ...Ill stop there!

To protect my car I could not drive it any where? wrap it in several layers of bubble wrap? only drive at night? ride a bike? Instead I`ve decided to install a front and rear dash cam as my biggest fear is being involved in an accident, I`ve found this http://amzn.to/2nS2hA7 Aukey dash cam recommended by Tech-moan for around £110 squid just wondered if any one has installed one and had any problems with radio interference?

And to protect my wallet I spoke to my insurance company about fixed car value and being able to buy the wreck back if the unthinkable was to happen! Both of which are now in place.

Screenshot_20201122-233032.png

Good idea. I've got a Garmin Mini dashcam which is invisible to me being just in front of the rearview mirror. Expertly installed by Timmus I might add.

Dont know about you people but lock down seems to have brought the worst out in some drivers and after some close shaves recently caused by breath taking stupid idiots drivers mostly big German car owners, 4x4s and wvm, ...Ill stop there!

To protect my car I could not drive it any where? wrap it in several layers of bubble wrap? only drive at night? ride a bike? Instead I`ve decided to install a front and rear dash cam as my biggest fear is being involved in an accident, I`ve found this http://amzn.to/2nS2hA7 Aukey dash cam recommended by Tech-moan for around £110 squid just wondered if any one has installed one and had any problems with radio interference?

And to protect my wallet I spoke to my insurance company about fixed car value and being able to buy the wreck back if the unthinkable was to happen! Both of which are now in place.

You're part way to not needing cameras now you've recognised some of those drivers likely to be driving badly. The 'concentration, observation, anticipation' that forms the basis of defensive driving depends, for the final element, on knowing to whom you should pay particular attention.

In this area, as in a lot of others, big German cars are driven by drug dealers, and white vans are used by couriers, both 'trades' that have seen a huge rise in demand during lock down and who serve impatient customers, so they're usually in a hurry. Prestigious four wheel drives, in a lot of instances, are used by school run mums who concentrate on their passengers rather than on driving safely or, again, by drug dealers dashing between 'clients'.

Knowing this, you're better prepared to allow for their sometimes erratic driving practices by giving more space and expecting the unexpected.

Last edited:
Agreed with you about the defensive driving thing, we in St.Albans are drowning in 4x4 s the Range Rover (Disco) is what most ladies of leisure drive around here and when one is heading your way best pull over cos they wont be stopping.

We also have lots n lots of young frustrated men driving expensive cars very badly!!

Hi. Just order the Aukey + GPS antenna + SD card package. I recall reading somewhere (on this forum?) about getting some alternative/addition/removable mounts. Anyone recall that?

I note that the card needs a USB datacable to download. I'm guessing it is easier to take the camera out (hence removable mounts) rather that take the laptop to the camera. Maybe a phone could be used but since getting a new Android 10 /One phone I've not be able to access the SD card from the PC. I'm prompted to give permission to access the top level in the SD card, which I do, but the file copy always fails. Also I believe all the data on the SD cards are encrypted. So it will be the laptop - removing the SD card is more of a pain.

As dash cams with GPS are significantly more expensive than those without, what is the justification for the added cost of GPS in a dash cam?
When I bought mine, I couldn't see any convincing advantage. And after a couple of years, still can't!
Mac.

As dash cams with GPS are significantly more expensive than those without, what is the justification for the added cost of GPS in a dash cam?
When I bought mine, I couldn't see any convincing advantage. And after a couple of years, still can't!
Mac.
Proof of location and direction in the event of an incident, and unfortunately, your speed :oops:
A double-edged sword.

Proof of location and direction in the event of an incident, and unfortunately, your speed :oops:
A double-edged sword.
The video gives all that (location and direction, etc) surely?
My Google Maps timeline tells me where I am and have been too.
I know how fast I'm going, and it's not something I feel the need to share.

So, still unconvinced. So I'll save my pennies.
Mac.

If you are taking a road trip, you can map your drive (I know you can do this with your phone, too)

The Aukey comes with a Dual-Port USB Car Charger (seems over time they have changed the supply connections). So I looked for an adapter to have a permanent switched supply rather than use the cigarette adapter and cables in the cabin. Few choices on fleebay and many have miles of cable to hide so I think I will use this with an inline fuse:

Don't normally like buying so cheap £3.99 (UK Ltd company seller but of course made in China). Unless anyone has found better.

Back