Quality non genuine thermostat options pls

Kaz

Hi

Apart from a £30 genuine thermostat - is there any others that will allow my tdi to heat up quicker then 20 miles? At the moment, I'm doing 280 miles to a tank - and I suspect this is due to the engine being cold!

Kaz

I popped a GSF one in around August, it worked well until December when I spotted it ran a little cool during the winter, its sits around 80 Deg. unless I give it some stick up a hill. Although it's hardly dropped into single digits yet this winter down here in Cornwall, you may have more issues up T north, or our Scandinavian friends.
I'm now considering popping in a genuine Audi item.
As it's a bit of a messy job and you will need a couple of litres of coolant, I would advise to do it once and spend the money on the Audi part.

The parts Audi fit are often exactly the same as are supplied by GSF etc.
I wish I had taken the numbers off the box now to check that, I remember it being a common fit part, in that they (GSF) had loads of them, as their item was the same for many VAG TDI's, I wonder if that is the same for the official Audi part number for a 1.4TDI?

I got an ECP one and it did not fit properly without modifying the housing. The Audi one, (much more expensive!) fitted straight in and the TDi warms up more quickly and the enging temp stays stable.

I popped a GSF one in around August, it worked well until December when I spotted it ran a little cool during the winter, its sits around 80 Deg. unless I give it some stick up a hill. Although it's hardly dropped into single digits yet this winter down here in Cornwall, you may have more issues up T north, or our Scandinavian friends.
I'm now considering popping in a genuine Audi item.
As it's a bit of a messy job and you will need a couple of litres of coolant, I would advise to do it once and spend the money on the Audi part.

I can do the job myself so that's not an issue - but its £30 for the thermostat, and £3 for the seal - all overpriced imho when most aftermarket ones are coming in at around £10 including the seal (50p from ecp!)

I have noticed that there are 2 temperatures that they come in though - 82degrees, and 87degrees. Ive ordered a Meyle one at 87degrees for under a tenner with the seal - will see how that goes.

Fitting the higher temp one, (87 degrees) makes for a quicker warm up. There is the same OEM temp choice for many cars . The higher temp might be a problem in Southern Europe, but, probably not in UK!
Cheaper generic 'stats are not made to the same temp spec as OEM, so the' stat from "anycarparts" may not be 82 or 87. Could be just an average, "one size fits all" so the bimetal bit can be made in large numbers, lower manufacturing costs, and, since temp is not spec'd, quality control is less stringent.
I know Audi bits are expensive, but, maybe not as much as at first sight.
Mac.

I'm using a Circoli(ECP, around £5) in my 75, been working fine, hits 90 in 5ish miles and stays there.
me too same stat from same place - working perfectly
the stat is identical in EVERY way to the Audi one that came out other than the VW logo is missing (there is a blank space where it would have been) When I say identical I really mean it even down to the crimps where the two parts are joined - this leads me to believe that the stat comes from the same factory as the genuine Audi stat

Cheers,
Paul

I did have a circolli but it failed on me after a couple of months.I guess bad luck on my part.I have now changed both thermostat and sensor to Febi Bilstein and so far all is good

Back