Quantum Longlife oil availability

Mr K

Doing a timing belt change, water pump and oil change shortly and tried to order Quantum Longlife III. TPS couldn't supply any; apparently there's a shortage of some key ingredient and they're not expecting any for months. Had to go for their fully synthetic 5W30 (Platinum Plus 23). Not a huge issue as it gets changed annually anyway. Thought you might be interested.

Anyone else experienced any issues buying oil?

Screenshot_20211015-222207_eBay.jpg

Ebay

Doing a timing belt change, water pump and oil change shortly and tried to order Quantum Longlife III. TPS couldn't supply any; apparently there's a shortage of some key ingredient and they're not expecting any for months. Had to go for their fully synthetic 5W30 (Platinum Plus 23). Not a huge issue as it gets changed annually anyway. Thought you might be interested.

I ordered some from Opie Oils last week as they had decided to do a 15% off and it was on special. If you ever get stuck for oil though @dj_efk as a bigger stash of Mannol than the Sultan of Brunei so give him a shout ?

It’s rapidly depleting! Both A2s are now running on it (VAG approved and lab analysed to be every bit as good as the Quantum @Mr K ) - plus my brother-in-law’s Mk2 7 fiesta diesel is running it too. All three engines running very sweetly on it - it was £50-55 for 20l last time I checked

Millers is a very good brand. But Mannol 7715 is VAG approved and 55quid for 20l on eBay, so if you only change it every 6-8000 miles anyway like I do, why pay any more?

Sounds like a good option but the Millers 5w 40 Non Longlife seems to have significantly reduced our Piston Slap rattle, and it does not burn any oil at all between changes. On the Longlife 5w 30 it needed topping up frequently.

I've noticed its tricky to get what you want, thankfully i had a stash of what i use but will need to by some more before long.

A mate has a mint (MB) Ur Quattro which had tappet noise on start up using a quality oil which might have been Quantum. Since he changed to Millers Nanotech CFS 5w - 40 NT+ his rattle on start up has completely gone - it's a triple Ester oil.

MOIL__21108.1496921433-768x770.png

I've been using Fuchs Titan Pro S ester based oil for over 6 years now which was renamed Race Pro S which is as good as the Millers Nanotech CFS NT+

Two oil changes in the same afternoon, the one on the right with the Mann filter was for the Fsi out of picture.

51597604160_9b8060a9ee_b.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly, someone who understands oil. ?

Sounds like a good option but the Millers 5w 40 Non Longlife seems to have significantly reduced our Piston Slap rattle, and it does not burn any oil at all between changes. On the Longlife 5w 30 it needed topping up frequently.
Do you think this would work with any 5w40-rated oil that I can get overnight (I'm thinking the usual premium brands supplied by Eurocarparts rather than motorsport-grade stuff as in the lower photos)? We have a 1.4i AUA which seems to be a bit piston-slappy at early idle although this goes away once it has warmed up a bit, and I was wondering if an oil change into something similar to the rating you have described above would help (or at least, not harm) along with a new filter - as it is going to our mechanic tomorrow I was wondering if two birds could be killed with one stone while it is on the ramp.

Last edited:
Do you think this would work with any 5w40-rated oil that I can get overnight (I'm thinking the usual premium brands supplied by Eurocarparts rather than motorsport-grade stuff as in the lower photos)? We have a 1.4i AUA which seems to be a bit piston-slappy at early idle although this goes away once it has warmed up a bit, and I was wondering if an oil change into something similar to the rating you have described above would help (or at least, not harm) along with a new filter - as it is going to our mechanic tomorrow I was wondering if two birds could be killed with one stone while it is on the ramp.

Don't let the Motorsport oil tag put you off, it's just a marketing tool however it's for a valid reason. Many owners with Audi S cars us it, it's an ester spec which is the highest spec oil you can buy. These properties resist the molecular breakdown of the oil under all conditions for longer than anything else out there.

As far as i understand it and what i've read, 0-30 oil was a way for the car manufacturers to get round emissions law ie; the thinner the oil the less kinetic energy is used to make an engine turn therefore using less fuel resulting in less Co2 emissions and more miles per gallon. This might be ok when modern engines are new but over time when wear occures not such a good idea. It will certainly help using a 5w - 40 oil and won't harm your engine, you've nothing to loose, just give it a try.

Just to follow up, TPS has supplies now - bought some this week (26% cheaper than the eBay seller refered to above, by the way).

Back