Question for Moderators

mjsbrabus

A2OC Donor
I was thinking - would it be useful to have a section on here where anyone buying an A2 can stick the Reg No up and ask whether the car was owned previously by a member of this forum? The thinking being that a previous owner / member might be able (if willing) to give some history relating to ownership / work carried out etc.

Just thinking that there are some cars on here that are well known but many of us own cars with partial / incomplete histories bought off non-enthusiasts?

Accepted that it might also open a 'can of worms' like 'oh yes that was my car but it was written off in 2014......' and the like.

Thoughts?

Mike

Certainly a suggestion worthy of some consideration Mike - thank you. I'll raise a thread on the Admin section and we'll discuss it.

EDIT - that's already been done while I was typing :)

Can I second that? My lads 53 plate 75TDI must have been owned by a former member because its reg plate has the A2OC logo. I did in the past post a photo of the plate complete with the reg but to no avail so I assume that the former owner no longer posts or is no longer a member of the forum.

Would suggest that the reg no could be put on the forum and then IF!! ( I for one would be cautious about giving details) a member choses to reply its done by PM (or email outside the site) this should prevent any possible cloning/fraud and be at those concerned's risk......... data protection would be breached if details of ownership were put on public forum (similar to DVLA regulations)...........this could be a can of worms........with serious possible consequences for committee members who would be liable for the breach

Would suggest that the reg no could be put on the forum and then IF!! ( I for one would be cautious about giving details) a member choses to reply its done by PM (or email outside the site) this should prevent any possible cloning/fraud and be at those concerned's risk......... data protection would be breached if details of ownership were put on public forum (similar to DVLA regulations)...........this could be a can of worms........with serious possible consequences for committee members who would be liable for the breach

That's pretty much hit the nail on the head for the opinions that we've put forth so far in the Admin team. The ideal place for this would be the Spotted section of the Market, where the reg plate is then not searchable nor visible to those who haven't paid the £2 Market fee. "I've seen this advert for a nice A2 / I've just bought the A2 in this advert, was it previously owned by anyone reading this? Responses welcome in confidence via PM" ?

If there are any further updates I'll post up here.

Kernow A2 - note your comments - and you might well be right.

Shame about the world we live in really when a suggestion like this brings forth considerations about 'cloning' 'fraud' 'data protection' and 'serious consequences'.

Maybe I forgot I was in 2019?

Ah well drop me a PM if the idea has any future notwithstanding the cyber crime / data protection issues.

I'd certainly like to try to find out a bit more about the history one of my cars. At some point it carried the Reg No A2 RXY which implies it was probably owned by an enthusiast I guess.

Back