Radio Ariel

Hi all

Had a new radio installed, I drive from Manchester to Leeds return journey 3 or 4 times a week. I listen to Radio 3, (yes I'm the one). Well M62 and radio 3 is not a good match. Really poor reception, new internal ariel installed, no help. The installation shop suggested drilling a hole and installing an external one... well that went down well with me any suggestions, thoughts, help. Thanks

Hi all

Had a new radio installed, I drive from Manchester to Leeds return journey 3 or 4 times a week. I listen to Radio 3, (yes I'm the one). Well M62 and radio 3 is not a good match. Really poor reception, new internal ariel installed, no help. The installation shop suggested drilling a hole and installing an external one... well that went down well with me any suggestions, thoughts, help. Thanks
Are you talking DAB or FM?
Mac.

I had a OEM double din radio unit that gave poor reception a few years back.
It was caused by a bad case of water ingress into the boot trashing the PCB of the ariel controller / switcher that was installed near the battery. The unit supposedly selected which of the ariels gave the best reception, but I am willing to be corrected by a more knowledgeable member!
I bypassed the unit and chose one ariel from the 3 or 4 ariel inputs for the head unit to connect to and it has not been a problem since.
Can't verify how it is on Radio 3 on the M62 but worked in the highlands afterwards where reception was fickle.
May not be your issue, but maybe worth a check of the black box's PCB for corrosion.

Hi all

Radio 3 is all I listen to as well.

Hi all

Was the original radio an Audi option? The aerials built into all Audis and VWs require a power supply for the pre-amp. This is supplied by the Audi/VW radio through the aerial cable. If you replace the VAG radio with an aftermarket radio, you may not have the necessary power supply. This applies to DAB radios, as well as FM radios. Some radios, Pure for example, have this option built in. Otherwise the solution is to use an adaptor such as this:

This requires an ignition-switched 12v supply.

RAB

If all else fails an alternative is an Xcarlink (or equivalent) which connects/provides Bluetooth functionality to the head unit. I’ve then downloaded TuneIn Radio app which gives digital radio. Radio 3 is not on TuneIn but available to listen live from BBC website amongst other places.

Clearly digital radio is subject to your phone data connection however the TuneIn app buffers so if reception cuts in/out you get a continuous stream unless you are out of signal for prolonged periods.
I drive regularly on the M62 between Leeds and Manchester and have never had a reception problem and being digital, the clarity is perfect.

I can’t tell you the spec of the Xcarlink, this is something you’ll need to speak to @timmus about as he fitted mine.

Hopefully an alternative if other methods fail.

Last edited:
UK Radio Player is very good, like the old BBC iPlayer (RiP ), plus commercial stations. It even (allegedly) covers Radio 3, although, as a Radio 4, 2, & Spotify man, I haven't verified this. Take a look here:
Mac.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

try this, Run another thicker Earth lead from the hatch directly to the the Battery Negative and think you'll find it gives you better reception, that's what I did and it worked.

Also consider doing a full Earth Mod on the car it really helps.

Faster window wipers - take a thick Earth lead from the Wiper motor to the top of the engine, you'll find your Wiper movement is much improved and stronger.

What to do. (Remove and clean one bolt on the motor under the Wiper arm, flatten a 15mm copper water pipe and cut lengthwise so you have one thin piece, cut it to about 4 inches length, drill x2 holes appropriate sizes each end, slip it under the Wiper arm and put the cleaned bolt back in tightly, the bit of copper pipe is to allow the Wiper arm to pass over it without fouling, then using a nut and bolt and a soldered on copper ring lug to a thick copper wire, attach to the engine anywhere - again using a ring lug connector at engine end, enjoy faster wipers!)
Cheers

Hi
Thanks for the help, I use the usb port on the new radio, with a load of ripped CDs burnt onto to it. I miss Suzy Klein, but life goes on. I will mention that I do approx. 800miles a fortnight, anything to watch for. Had "low oil" message pop up, I just filled it up with some new I keep in the boot. FYI Petrol, 1.4, 116K.

Back