Rear Axle for 1.4i - Any alternatives?

jesslamin

Hello, I'm needing a bit of help with my 1.4i. Unfortunately today he failed his MOT due to a hole in the rear axle. Other than finding a used A2 rear axle, is there any other models that would fit? Thinking possibly a polo or something along those lines?

If a used A2 one is the only option, does anybody have/know of any that are available? Ideally would like to find one in best condition as possible. Part number is 8Z0500051AB.

Thanks in advance.
Jess

Specific to the A2 Jess so must be a second hand A2 one
The fsi and tdi90 share the same rear axle as they have disc brakes the rest of the A2 fleet share a different axle that as the drum breaks

What ever you get it off factor in either some time to wire brush and rust treat it then paint it or have it blasted and powered coated
Also well worth changing out the rear bushes whilst the ‘new’ axle is off the car
It likely that the break pipes will not undo so there is a little more expense there as well
It is a competent diy job if you have axle stands and a trolley jack plus a flat floor to work from

Ensure you mark the axle mounts on the body work to ensure correct alignment when refitting.

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be possible to repair, have you seen the damage? Probably worth posting a photo of the damage if possible.

Specific to the A2 Jess so must be a second hand A2 one
The fsi and tdi90 share the same rear axle as they have disc brakes the rest of the A2 fleet share a different axle that as the drum breaks

What ever you get it off factor in either some time to wire brush and rust treat it then paint it or have it blasted and powered coated
Also well worth changing out the rear bushes whilst the ‘new’ axle is off the car
It likely that the break pipes will not undo so there is a little more expense there as well
It is a competent diy job if you have axle stands and a trolley jack plus a flat floor to work from

Ensure you mark the axle mounts on the body work to ensure correct alignment when refitting.

Cheers. Paul

Thanks for your advice Paul. Rear bushes were on my list of things to do. Will also look into getting it treated before fitting.

I don’t like the idea of a repair anyway as it’s a torsion spring which will not respond well to welding

Ha thanks for clarifying I would have welded that part without a second thought
Never seen one rot there before

Paul

fe6a6b1fd4aae7a2fb05c4b6e8301b5b.jpg

Easy hole to patch. The rest was sound.

I see you are in Wales. Depending on where your hole is and how bad the rest of the axle is I might be able to help. If you can get your axle to me I can get it sand blasted and weld it for you? I'm the other side of Carmarthen from you, near Whitland. The guy I use for blasting is very reasonable.

I see you are in Wales. Depending on where your hole is and how bad the rest of the axle is I might be able to help. If you can get your axle to me I can get it sand blasted and weld it for you? I'm the other side of Carmarthen from you, near Whitland. The guy I use for blasting is very reasonable.
Thanks for your offer, the hole is where the stub axle is affixed, so think it is in too critical a place to weld, I think a replacement is the best option. But really appreciate your help.

That axle from the fsi will fit but there is a lot more involved due to change from drum to disc breaks the entire hand break system from leaver through cables to the rear axle is different
Personally I would keep with drum breakers

Paul

Back