Rear camera mount. An alternative to attaching to rear screen

Memphis

20220712_115322.jpg
20220712_115306.jpg
20220712_115253.jpg

Interesting and novel solution. Is that a mounting that comes with the camera or one you have made yourself?

Just made it from a piece of sheet steel, bent over a lip for the edge of the roof lining. When mounted on the screen ,the camera would move due to shutting the tailgate. That camera has a magnetic mount and can be move very easily . All wiring concealed under roof lining.

I need to do mine. Looks an ideal solution. Any chance please of a screen shot to see if / how much distortion there is?

Thanks @Memphis. for that photo Looks really good. I shall make myself a bracket. Is the bit that goes under the rubber and over the headlining flat?

I have now fitted my Aukey DR02 D Dual dash camera. Here is how I adapted the above bracket for this camera. Note that I have yet to push the headlining up into the rubber seal. Having put sound insulation in the roof the rear popper on the headlining kept popping out so I had to use Velcro strip.

Rear camera clip lr.jpg
Rear camera installed lr.jpg

I have too hard suspension and I was afraid the camera would shake but it's OK.

Camera view daytime.jpg

This is my first dashcam and having waited for so long thought I would be getting something half decent but the night vision is rubbish for clarity both front and back cameras. In a 15 min night drive I could not read a single number plate.

I've been there in a previous car with dashcams. Sadly, reading number plates under night conditions basically isn't going to happen on any consumer-grade DVR setup, especially on cars going the other way. Although your eyes allow you to read them, cameras just aren't anywhere near as good at low-light resolution. There's normally either not enough light, or way too much light from your headlights on the plates visible from the front camera, and at the rear it's more like there's either no light at all, or the headlights of the car behind blind the camera to anything else. Stationary in a queue of cars is about the only time you're going to get legible number plates at night, and even then your brake lights need to be on to throw some light onto the plate of the car behind you.

Back