Rear damper component assembly

ProjectGT

How should the rear damper assembly be?

My rear damper plastic dust covers have started rattling, they appear loose to the touch and are responsible for the constant rattling I’m hearing when driving.

How should they be fitted? Covering the bump stops?

Attachments

• 7C17CA2E-11B6-49FA-A04D-5A49CB1EC006.jpeg
    7C17CA2E-11B6-49FA-A04D-5A49CB1EC006.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 76
Hi

I did mine a short while ago, some pictures below, will hopefully answer your question. If the covers are rattling around a bit then they are probably not attaching the spongy bit too well any more. Yours look a bit like mine did before I changed them with the shock absorbers.

9B563D3D-77B5-47A2-9BFA-13CB7FD445EF.jpeg

748CE071-BE3F-4E59-8D3C-CEA78EC6EABC.jpeg

Hi

I did mine a short while ago, some pictures below, will hopefully answer your question. If the covers are rattling around a bit then they are probably not attaching the spongy bit too well any more. Yours look a bit like mine did before I changed them with the shock absorbers.

View attachment 98070

View attachment 98071
Is it possible to place the car on axel stands and undo the top damper retaining nuts?

Or is the damper keeping the coil spring under a bit of load even with the axels in the air?

I’ll purchase some new bump stops and refit my existing plastic covers.

Is it possible to place the car on axel stands and undo the top damper retaining nuts?

Or is the damper keeping the coil spring under a bit of load even with the axels in the air?

I’ll purchase some new bump stops and refit my existing plastic covers.
Hi

Yes it should be, I had mine up in the air, wheels off and then everything could be undone.

I removed the arch linings to do this mainly because I had not done it before and also so I could give everything a good clean. I have read posts from more experience forum members that suggest it is possible to do it without removing the arch liners.

The angle of the top mount bolts was a bit of a challenge to get at with a breaker bar, if you have one of those impact drivers it should be much easier. I suspect you will need to remove the bolt that attaches the shock absorber to the axle in order to remove the whole assembly, I don’t think it would be possible to remove the top mount from the shock pin in situ

As I was changing everything out I also bought replacement bolts all round. So you will need two for each top mount, a new nut and bolt for the bottom of shock and also a new nut for the shock top pin. There is a forum post with the definitive list of part numbers for these.

Best of luck

Justin

Be very careful with the top mount bolts. I would not recommend an impact driver because if you rip the anchor nuts out you will be in a world of pain. The anchor nuts are fitted and the rear body built around them and there is no access to replace them.

Sometimes either a wobbly socket or wobbly extension is the best bet. As with anything that has been bolted together for years a good penetrant and left to soak does wonders.

Last edited:
Back