Rear doors not locking

gazzah

The rear doors on my A2 don't lock when I turn the key in the door lock (it doesn't have remote central locking). You can hear a double clunk as they try, but fail. You can also hear them cycling occasionally as you drive along. However, with the key in the ignition the locks seem to engage.
Following advice from the forum a couple of years ago, I tried replacing the microswitches in the door locks to no avail. I recently took the car to a repairer who said the door actuators need to be replaced, and quoted AUD$1,030 (around 600 pounds) for the job, using genuine Audi parts with a 3 week wait from Germany.
Is it likely that will fix the problem, and is that a fair price for the job?

Hi Garry,

Does the car have rear electric windows, please?

Cheers,

Tom
Hi Tom, no - the front windows are electric, the rear windows are manual. I just checked now and surprisingly the left hand door is locked, but the right hand door is still not locked

OK, thank you.

In A2s with manual rear windows, the rear door locks are controlled directly by the Central Convenience Control Unit (CCCU), which is mounted in the secret compartment under the front-left-hand foot well. Any doors with electric windows have their locks controlled by a module of electronics housed within the doors themselves (imaginately called Door Control Modules, or DCMs).

Given that your front doors lock and your rear doors don't, it's reasonable to suspect that your CCCU is faulty. However, the door locks themselves or the wiring between the CCCU and the rear locks could be at fault. I've fixed a lot of A2s with this problem, but a faulty CCCU usually results in both rear locks behaving identically. You mention their behaviour not always being aligned, which suggests faulty locks and/or wiring.

Do you know how to access the CCCU? Can you get me the CCCU part number? It'll be 8Z0 959 433 X, where X is a letter or pair of letters.

The quote for £600 to fix the door actuators is utter nonsense. For a start, I've no idea what the 'door actuator' is, and I know the A2's central locking system like the back of my hand. In A2s with manual rear windows, there are the locks and wiring - that's it! Secondly, replacement locks from Audi - brand new locks for the rear doors! - cost about £75 each. It'd take me no more than 45 minutes to replace each side, though admittedly I've had practice.

The wiring to the rear locks could be at fault. At the base of your windscreen, you'll find the vehicle identification number (VIN). I'd like to know the number before the 'N', please.

For £600, you could possibly buy me a budget flight to Australia and I'll do the job in an afternoon. I have an Aussie passport, so no VISA to worry about. :p

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Hi Tom, funny you should mention that a fault in the CCCU normally causes both rear locks to behave identically, normally they do just that, clicking and clunking in unison as I drive along.

I sent the CCCU to Lau in Germany a few years ago for repair due to some other weird electrical gremlins, they all settled down but I have long suspected that all might not be well with the unit. We lived in a very hot part of the country for a few years and I have heard they can be prone to problems if they overheat.
It'll have to wait until tomorrow to get the part number for the CCCU and the VIN, it's just after 11pm. By the time it's light enough to see, you'll likely be in bed, so I'll catch you after.

The rear doors on my A2 don't lock when I turn the key in the door lock (it doesn't have remote central locking). You can hear a double clunk as they try, but fail. You can also hear them cycling occasionally as you drive along. However, with the key in the ignition the locks seem to engage.
Following advice from the forum a couple of years ago, I tried replacing the microswitches in the door locks to no avail. I recently took the car to a repairer who said the door actuators need to be replaced, and quoted AUD$1,030 (around 600 pounds) for the job, using genuine Audi parts with a 3 week wait from Germany.
Is it likely that will fix the problem, and is that a fair price for the job?
Hi Gazzah, could you please let me have the contact details for Lau? I have a unit that I'd like him to repair and I live in Germany. Cheers Jon

OK, thank you.

In A2s with manual rear windows, the rear door locks are controlled directly by the Central Convenience Control Unit (CCCU), which is mounted in the secret compartment under the front-left-hand foot well. Any doors with electric windows have their locks controlled by a module of electronics housed within the doors themselves (imaginately called Door Control Modules, or DCMs).

Given that your front doors lock and your rear doors don't, it's reasonable to suspect that your CCCU is faulty. However, the door locks themselves or the wiring between the CCCU and the rear locks could be at fault. I've fixed a lot of A2s with this problem, but a faulty CCCU usually results in both rear locks behaving identically. You mention their behaviour not always being aligned, which suggests faulty locks and/or wiring.

Do you know how to access the CCCU? Can you get me the CCCU part number? It'll be 8Z0 959 433 X, where X is a letter or pair of letters.

The quote for £600 to fix the door actuators is utter nonsense. For a start, I've no idea what the 'door actuator' is, and I know the A2's central locking system like the back of my hand. In A2s with manual rear windows, there are the locks and wiring - that's it! Secondly, replacement locks from Audi - brand new locks for the rear doors! - cost about £75 each. It'd take me no more than 45 minutes to replace each side, though admittedly I've had practice.

The wiring to the rear locks could be at fault. At the base of your windscreen, you'll find the vehicle identification number (VIN). I'd like to know the number before the 'N', please.

For £600, you could possibly buy me a budget flight to Australia and I'll do the job in an afternoon. I have an Aussie passport, so no VISA to worry about. :p

Cheers,

Tom

Why do you have an Aussie passport? Mr Bond I presume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, thank you.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom, I have a similar problem with the left rear door. Sometimes it won't lock, sometime it won't unlock. I have electric windows (4 doors).
I got these errors with vag:
01330 - Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393)
37-00 - Faulty
01336 - Data Bus for Comfort System
80-00 - Single-Wire Operation
01561 - Rear Left Door
59-00 - Can't Unlock
01561 - Rear Left Door
61-00 - Won't De-Safe
01562 - Rear Right Door
61-00 - Won't De-Safe

Do you think is the CCCU or the Door Control Module? Thank you!

Back to this problem that has not gone away, I just lived with it for a very hectic period that has left no time for tinkering.

The drivers' side rear door doesn't lock when I lock the car with the key (no remote, Audi didn't see fit to equip this car with one). The passenger side rear door sometimes lock but occasionally doesn't.

However just the other day I saw something on line that made me have another look.

On the rear doors, above the little child lock hole, there are some rubber grommets with a picture of a lock. When you take them off, inside the hole is a bit of red plastic with a slot in it. When I put a screwdriver in the slot, it turns anticlockwise quite easily and snicks into place. When I do that and close the door, it's locked. When I next unlock the car, it unlocks again, so I have to do this little pantomime (sometimes once on each side) every time I want to leave the car locked.

So what is that red plastic bit with the slot? Is there a chance of adjusting something so I can go back to all four doors locking at once?

Just to chip in - i'd definitely bet on CCCU, get an AF one if possible to swap it - CCCU in my old 2001 model would have near identical problem with rear doors - left one would normally fail to lock and right side one would fail about 90% of the time. My guess it is the little relays in the CCCU that go and do not click over anymore whether to heat or moisture.

My Current one would refuse to lock any doors entirely and had a whole christmas tree of error codes for locks, door sensors boot sensors triggering alarm if i'd lock her, swapped out CCCU and had no further problems of this nature.

Is there a chance of adjusting something so I can go back to all four doors locking at once?
No, nothing needs adjustment. The issues you've got are either due to failed microswitch circuits in the door locks (usually caused by cracked solder joints), a failed CCCU or an issue with the wiring looms between the CCCU and the rear locks.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom. I had the micro switches on the door locks replaced a bit over 2 years ago to no avail, so pretty sure it's not them.

Do you still do a replacement CCCU? I think mine's on the blink, every now & then I get a full set of warning signals come on for no apparent reason, that then usually go away without anything being done next time I start the car. Gotta love the A2 quirks :)

Only issue I can see is the CCCU version for Australia may be completely different to the UK versions. Whether a UK one can be reprogrammed to emulate an Australian one that is I would say something probably only Tom @timmus could provide the answer and possible solution for. Perhaps if you could get someone to download the firmware from your CCCU and send that to Tom he may be able to do something with it. ASK TOM.

How do I get hold of a replacement CCCU? I wouldn't even bother with the Audi dealer here, even if they had the part it would be outrageously expensive.

How do I get hold of a replacement CCCU? I wouldn't even bother with the Audi dealer here, even if they had the part it would be outrageously expensive.
In answer to your question I have no idea about Australia but here in the UK, either on here by putting an ad in the 'Wanted' subforum of the Marketplace (often available) or look on eBay (usually more expensive) What is the part number of your CCCU?

Heed Audifan's advice it might not be as simple as relying on partnumber.

Andy

No, nothing needs adjustment. The issues you've got are either due to failed microswitch circuits in the door locks (usually caused by cracked solder joints), a failed CCCU or an issue with the wiring looms between the CCCU and the rear locks.

Cheers,

Tom
Hi Tom, would it be possible to get a replacement CCCU through you? I think the heat in Broome addled this one, the constant heat and humidity there takes it's toll on all sorts of electronics, when he repaired this unit 4 years ago, Lau said the Motorola microprocessors were prone to heat damage. Regards, Garry

@gazzah , while Tom @timmus may be able to help I still suspect there are large differences in the programming for the different markets the A2 was sold in. Ambient temperature is the most obvious one that comes to mind. Then you get into the differences in remote locking, manual rear windows etc. I think Tom would need the source code for your exact model CCCU and then PERHAPS be able to reflash a UK spec model. Personally I would look into replacing the rear door locks first with known good ones, AFTER doing a thorough check of all the fuses WITH A METER and earths for the rear doors. If that still does not cure the issue perhaps another hot climate rhd country may be a better bet for a DIRECT replacement CCCU such as Cyprus, but I have no idea how many were sold there or remain there as the Forces may have brought them back to the UK.

Back