Rear seat question

ittf

I have always wanted to know this, so I thought I would ask here.

If you have sports seats are the rears 2 seats sportier than normal?

I think it is just the front seats that are different.

Anyone put me straight?

I ask because I think one of my rear seats is broken in that it won't lock back in place so I may need to buy a replacement.

cheers Ewan

Have you read through this guide?

Havent sport seats myself, but arent the rear seat slightly different regarding number of sections? Std seats have two sections in the seat (sitting) surface, while sport seats have three sections?

Here is a picture of the back seat in my FSI S-line with cloth “Sprint”.

Attachments

• CBC79DBF-649D-4C41-B10E-2E58ABE96CB9.jpeg
    CBC79DBF-649D-4C41-B10E-2E58ABE96CB9.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 206
And from my 3L with standard seat clothing.

Attachments

• 9AB39A15-E241-41C9-8991-0F06A7F5A2B9.jpeg
    9AB39A15-E241-41C9-8991-0F06A7F5A2B9.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 200
Sport seats, both front and rear all have an extra panel on both the seat back and the seat base, over the standard cloth SE. However the leather SE also have the extra panels. So rear leather seats are the same for both Sport and SE, but not rear cloth seats.

Have you read through this guide?

Yes, thanks, a long time ago. I concluded from it that Problem 5: It's genuinely broken applies in my case unfortunately. I have just re-read the guide and stll think that is the case.

Sport seats, both front and rear all have an extra panel on both the seat back and the seat base, over the standard cloth SE. However the leather SE also have the extra panels. So rear leather seats are the same for both Sport and SE, but not rear cloth seats.
Cheers, this is what I was hoping as I have red leather sport seats so can look for SE leather as well as sport.

Start from scratch. Both front seats all the way forward. Remove the rear seat head restraints. Fold and remove both rear seats. Carefully check the rear seat front mounts are tight and not damaged. Check the locking pin receptacles are clear of all debris. Now check the forward mounting points on both the seats for damage, the support brace is correctly stowed and the locking pin is not damaged and the balls have not been trapped. Now only fit the broken seat making sure it lines up and pivots down onto the pin lock. It must be level with the floor. It should lock into the floor, if not apply a lot of weight on the very top of the rear of the seat, you may even have to bounce to make the pin engage. once engaged raise the back and lock into the rearmost position. Now repeat for the other seat.

What is your issue with the seat?
The problem is the seat can be taken out and put back, all ok so far, but the top release handle remains up and I am unable to lock the seat back in place. Similar to posts #13 and #17 in the guide.

Start from scratch. Both front seats all the way forward. Remove the rear seat head restraints. Fold and remove both rear seats. Carefully check the rear seat front mounts are tight and not damaged. Check the locking pin receptacles are clear of all debris. Now check the forward mounting points on both the seats for damage, the support brace is correctly stowed and the locking pin is not damaged and the balls have not been trapped. Now only fit the broken seat making sure it lines up and pivots down onto the pin lock. It must be level with the floor. It should lock into the floor, if not apply a lot of weight on the very top of the rear of the seat, you may even have to bounce to make the pin engage. once engaged raise the back and lock into the rearmost position. Now repeat for the other seat.
I have both rear seats out of the car at the moment. I will have a go and follow your advice tomorrow morning. I have to say I have tried similar, but not as comprehensive, in the past and as far as I can tell the seat does fit/sit into the round holes correctly but refuses to lock the seat back as it should. I will also take a couple of photos so everyone can see what I am trying to describe.

I would like to thank everyone for their interest and advice.

I followed the instructions to the best of my ability. Unfortunately I still can't get the seat back to lock as it should.
I have attached some photos, perhaps someone may be able to spot something I haven't.

Attachments

• 1 Faulty seat on left. Not noticed the hole before.jpg
    1 Faulty seat on left. Not noticed the hole before.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 203
  • 3 Faulty seat plastic tab loose not connected.jpg
    3 Faulty seat plastic tab loose not connected.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 4 Faulty seat.jpg
    4 Faulty seat.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 5 Faulty seat.jpg
    5 Faulty seat.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 185
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 12 top release handle remains up.jpg
    12 top release handle remains up.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 179
The only thing I can see is the loose distorted trim by the upper catch on one of the rears. If this is the one causing the problem something may have come loose inside and dropped into the catch. Try rotating the seat and shaking it to see if something is loose, gently try to see if the catch will move with a screwdriver or similar.

I'll give it a go but the catch doesn't seem to be connected unfortunately.
Thanks for your help.
I will update this if any progress is made.

Nothing to lose by removing the trim and looking to reconnect something. Broken off is a different story but at least you would know what was wrong.

Back