Rear seats - 2 to 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurie18

Can the 3 seat rear bench be fitted to a car that currently has the 2 seat version? I assume the floor mountings/releases are in different places?

Cheers,

Tom

There is a bench seat for sale on marketplace for 40 pounds, along with two front seats. Would it not be possible the remove the two centre pins from the bench seat and then just fit it to a 4 seater. From the safety aspect, in the event of a crash, the middle seat is only really ever used when the other two are occupied, which would provide stability. Is this a possibilty?

@Rod davis . At the risk of being repetitive, read all of the other threads that have discussed this, think about liability if you diy modify a piece of safety critical equipment, and then think about it again. Audi had entire teams of engineers working on the seats for these cars for a considerable amount of time and presumably with the benefit of the engineering talent, knowledge of the design of both chassis and seats, crash test data and so on decided that it was not feasible. I trust that more than a bit of back-of-an-envelope gut instinct. Going onto more sensible things - did you get any further with the solar-panel alternator replacement idea?

Thanks for your reply, my consideration is whether or not it will fit. I appears that with judicious use of the hacksaw that this would not be a problem. The solar panel idea: I have located a chinese supplier of lithium batteries for $150 ie four 3.2w units. The current problem is removing the roof or angle grinding the ridges. Removal and replacement with a 350w solar panel seems the neater solution. What do you think?

I have had a closer look at my rear seats. The offside seat has pins that have never locked in position, it is just held by the seat back at the side. It passed the MOT in this state. I believe that this is quite common, rendering the safety calculations of the men at Audi irrelevant. Thus, it seems to me that if this feature does not work anyway, you would lose nothing by cutting the pins off and just putting in a bench seat. Unfortunately the one in question is miles away so it will have to be a future project.

Thanks for your reply, my consideration is whether or not it will fit. I appears that with judicious use of the hacksaw that this would not be a problem.

The OP obviously understood the answer to be a massive NO.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make....it's plainly possible to cut pieces off stuff and wang it into a space - so if you want to seriously injur or kill in the event the car is involved in an accident, that would be your choice (and a crazier choice I've yet to read on here).

IMHO i'm not sure I'd let you anywhere near a sharp object!

Thanks for your reply, my consideration is whether or not it will fit. I appears that with judicious use of the hacksaw that this would not be a problem. The solar panel idea: I have located a chinese supplier of lithium batteries for $150 ie four 3.2w units. The current problem is removing the roof or angle grinding the ridges. Removal and replacement with a 350w solar panel seems the neater solution. What do you think?

Instead of angle-grinding or even panel-beating the ridges down I would suggest using epoxy filler paste (ie isopon) to bring the level of the roof up to the top of the ridges from front to rear - the ridges also provide a convenient guide surface to level the filled region (better than freestyling it as otherwise it may end up too thick). A bit of cutting paste with a hard compounding sponge disc and some filler-primer could then be used to true the surface before repainting. This also conveniently gives you some material depth you could bond or screw the feet of the 350W solar panel into (maybe anchor in some threaded nutserts? I think this sounds a better plan and certainly a fair bit easier than the seats idea.

How can a 350w (30A) solar panel replace a 120A alternator? Note that it will only produce 30A under ideal conditions and nothing at night! Given that the alternator free-wheels when not required, I don't see the point, but at least it doesn't have the potential to kill or maim somebody!

RAB

How can a 350w (30A) solar panel replace a 120A alternator? Note that it will only produce 30A under ideal conditions and nothing at night! Given that the alternator free-wheels when not required, I don't see the point, but at least it doesn't have the potential to kill or maim somebody!

RAB

Oh ye of little faith... 350 is bigger than 120, so it must be better.

Didn't you mean "30 is bigger than 120"? No!

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite sure how, but somehow you're missing @Robin_Cox 's ironic tone.
Given that this is A2oc, surely that's aluminic?

Anyway. Enough being silly. Surely some of you more experienced A2OCers must have an independent thought about how to resolve the problem of the ridges on the roof obscuring suitable mounting points for a 350W solar panel to replace the alternator - I came up with what I believed to be a sensible suggestion. Instead, you quote volts, and watts and amps by way of mocking my idea through logic and GCSE-level Physics theorem. I put it to you this way. Remember also that P=I(squared) x R. Since Isopon has a bucket-load higher resistance than aluminium, we have massively increased R if we attach this to the panel. Consequently, 350 (which is already better than 120) is now going to be even better than that.

As lawyers say in French when concluding their deposition : 'Je pose ma valise'.

I wasn't mocking anyone? I apologise if I came across sardonic. I genuinely thought the one formula I remembered from 'O'level physics might have been useful, obviously not. Cheers.

I have had a closer look at my rear seats. The offside seat has pins that have never locked in position, it is just held by the seat back at the side. It passed the MOT in this state. I believe that this is quite common, rendering the safety calculations of the men at Audi irrelevant. Thus, it seems to me that if this feature does not work anyway, you would lose nothing by cutting the pins off and just putting in a bench seat. Unfortunately the one in question is miles away so it will have to be a future project.
Hi Rod,

Rather than taking an unsafe path why not simply fix the seat. The normal problem is the anchoring mechanism has got out of sync with the seat's position and only takes two minutes to fix. If you fold the seat, raise It vertical you can inspect the anchoring mechanisms. Compare the working anchor with the culprit and it should be obvious what's different. I have a memory of a ring being on the wrong side of some ball bearings that needs correcting. How I can't remember, sorry, but it will be well documented if you do a forum search.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back