Rear silencer replacement

jp.oog

Hi,
My 1.4mpi has a heavy rattle coming from the underside, I assumed it was the heatshields above the exhaust but it's actually coming from inside the rear silencer. I'm guessing it's life has come to an end.
Does anyone have recommendations for an aftermarket replacement? Maybe one with a straight exit pipe twin tip?
James

It's best to replace the whole exhaust rather than just the rear box.

There's no performance advantage to be gained from a straight exit pipe twin tip, just increased (and unnecessary) weight where you don't need it.

You can improve both the performance and the fuel economy by getting a stainless system custom built which includes straight through (non-baffled) silencers. But it's something of a nightmare trying to find someone who will do a good job at a sensible price. Be very wary of franchised builders of such systems.

I had my own exhaust replaced by Infinity Exhausts (https://www.infinity-exhausts.co.uk/ ) in 2018 and have been really happy with the results. Their work was top quality and their prices very reasonable.

I wrote up my experience in this thread:

Managed to get a part system fitted today in stainless steel. Post Cat only.
Indulged my need for a twin pipe too.
James

Attachments

• PHOTO_20210826_161107.jpg
    PHOTO_20210826_161107.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 250
  • 20210827_100147.jpg
    20210827_100147.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Managed to get a part system fitted today in stainless steel. Post Cat only.
Indulged my need for a twin pipe too.
James

looks great, considering a visible tail pipe for mine but not sure on shape was wondering what a c7 A6 one would look like under a votex kit

Thanks, I'm very pleased with it. The rear valance is cut to accomodate these tips. With the votex kit on the rear bumper too would the tips be too low?
James

what size tubing did you get for 1.4?
I'm thinking of making one myself and I don't want to make it bigger to attract too much attention from police.
This is for my daughter to learn to drive in!

OK thanks.
I got few stainless steel tubes from making my other car exhaust.
I shall check when I get my car on my mate's ramp.

Back