Rear vents

robrace

Wifes A2 got a boot full of water!been meaning to replace rear vents for some time!Any ideas if and where I can get them from.part nos etc.May! Have to wait till end of lockdown unless I can get them mail order.

You may not need to replace them. Quite often just a reseal with a suitable silicone sealant if applied correctly cures the problem.

Even if you could get hold of some new ones, you really are better off just sealing them in with a decent quality sealant. It’s just a poor design.

I thought it was the rubber that perished but you are saying it is possible to reseal?Like most of the population I am in lockdown and running out of jobs!!Got a tube of silicon sealer but it doesn’t look a 5 min job so want to do it properly!

The seal around the vent fails normally and yes it can be resealed. Not a 5 minute job, you need to take your time doing it. Bumper off job. Search the site sure there was either a guide to resealing or pictures of those who have done so. Remember to clean both surfaces very well to ensure good sealing.

Here is a list of "how tos" from Steve very useful reference material.

if they do need resealing i would not use a silcone sealant. get a tube of sikaflex from ebay, this stuff is used to bond modern caravans together and is superb

To be fair the flexing is not the issue more the original sealant breaks down with age or poor application or accident damage. As long as it is waterproof and applied correctly several different products could be used.

Just black Dow Corning 781 will do the job, around £6 from screwfix. We did Adams whilst fitting rear parking sensors:

Cheers! Going to have a go tomorrow!looks as if it is wheels off up on stands!inner wheel arch’s,black trim out,bumper off sounds easy?!bet it’s not.got plastic trim tools.let you all know!!

Cheers! Going to have a go tomorrow!looks as if it is wheels off up on stands!inner wheel arch’s,black trim out,bumper off sounds easy?!bet it’s not.got plastic trim tools.let you all know!!

It’s really not too bad at all, my advice is to get one of the magnets on a stick for removing the screws inside the wheel arch, they can be a b****r to get out otherwise.

As @A2Steve said the screws are aptly named!!! Alternative if you can not obtain a magnet is blutack or a thick grease or vaseline to "glue " the screw to the bit.

ALL DONE!spent the morning on it.took the vents out cleaned everything ,bead of sikaflex all round and put back.Need heavy rain! now?.only problem my age(75).And i had a bacon sandwich this morning!heartburn!serves me right.next job to shampoo carpets/seats whilst sun is out!

A garden hose can highlight any areas still leaking. Put a good smear around the external join. Leave boot open while working on the carpets and seats to help dry out everything. Worth completely emptying the boot to make sure it is dry.

I got around to resealing my vents today. I know they just clip in but I could not remove them without the possibility of breaking them so I left them where they were and used Sika gutter seal (non-setting mastic) around the outside where they meet the body. They looked to be in great condition (51 plate TDi) but lots of water has been getting into the boot. There's plenty of rain forecast over the next few days and I don't need the car so I'll keep and eye on the dampness in the boot and report back.

Back