Recommendation - I need a new battery

Geecee

Hi there,

Any recommendations for an online place to buy a new battery for my 1.4 TDi? Any brands to steer clear of?

Huge thanks as always!

Everyone will have their preferred brand of battery. On the Tayna site you are spoilt for choice so as long as you get the correct size and capacity you can pick whatever brand you like. I prefer Bosch.

They come with a 4 year warranty and I’ve claimed on every one if them
It’s the only battery that euro sell which they just swap out without testing the old one
Says a lot

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They come with a 4 year warranty and I’ve claimed on every one if them
It’s the only battery that euro sell which they just swap out without testing the old one
Says a lot

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes not my battery of choice but came with it when purchased and a new alternator but crucially not a new/additional earth!

Hi there,

Any recommendations for an online place to buy a new battery for my 1.4 TDi? Any brands to steer clear of?

Huge thanks as always!

Are you certain you need a battery - or would just giving it a good reconditioning recharge (ie. with a Ctek 5A charger or similar) and clean the starter motor earth up solve the problem?

I bought 3 batteries since the beginning of December for my 3 cars (2x Tdi, 1x 1.4) after encountering bad / non starting with all three out of nowhere. I've cleaned 2 earths and now proved that neither of those cars really needed a battery, and the third earth is corroded in place but needed a new battery to work. The one that was removed from this car has now been fully reconditioned and is back to working perfectly again, and I've just got the new earth bolt and a bolt extractor so going to try to clean that one up as well. So I have three spare batteries, two chargers, and three working cars - but could have avoided some of that expenditure with a bit of maintenance. Live and learn.

To answer your question though - for both Tdis I bought a Varta E44 from Tayna as with other recommendations here.

Is varta owner by bosch? Tend to think bosch is milking their brand and no better than varta, exide, etc

Are you certain you need a battery - or would just giving it a good reconditioning recharge (ie. with a Ctek 5A charger or similar) and clean the starter motor earth up solve the problem?

I bought 3 batteries since the beginning of December for my 3 cars (2x Tdi, 1x 1.4) after encountering bad / non starting with all three out of nowhere. I've cleaned 2 earths and now proved that neither of those cars really needed a battery, and the third earth is corroded in place but needed a new battery to work. The one that was removed from this car has now been fully reconditioned and is back to working perfectly again, and I've just got the new earth bolt and a bolt extractor so going to try to clean that one up as well. So I have three spare batteries, two chargers, and three working cars - but could have avoided some of that expenditure with a bit of maintenance. Live and learn.

To answer your question though - for both Tdis I bought a Varta E44 from Tayna as with other recommendations here.

Its got a production date of 15/52 so its 4 years old. I use a CTEK on it. It has a little window and if it shows green its supposed to be ready to kick the bucket....it definitely has a green tinge! I will probably do what you've done, swap it out then let my CTEK recondition it over the winter. Its not like they're not useful to have around.

You do have additional earth installed dont you??

I have no idea if I have an additional earth...how would I tell?

Also Howey how do you get the battery out? It seems to be locked in from the bottom.

As ever, huge thanks!

Assuming no spare wheel bracket over the top, battery is secured firmly in place at the bottom rear edge by either the spare wheel holder bottom end, or the plastic moulding that forms the rear-ward wall of the battery compartment. There are two bolts that locate through whichever of these is securing the battery into fixed nuts at the bottom of the battery compartment moulding. Depending on when your car was built, you either need to remove all of the foam blocks holding the tool kit to access the bolts (early version), or for later cars, there is a cut-out in the long thin foam block rearward of the battery that allows you to use a foot long extension to access the bolts with your ratchet set.

>Its got a production date of 15/52 so its 4 years old. I use a CTEK on it. It has a little window and if it shows green its supposed to be ready to kick >the bucket....it definitely has a green tinge!

On two of my (Lion) batteries for the 1.4i they have a window showing charge - it is only when it is showing green that the battery is fully charged. Are you sure your window indicator works the way round you suggested?

Incidentally, the Varta E44s I bought recently are absolutely identical to the year older Bosch S5 (same rating, moulding, lid, handles, same terminal covers etc..) - and I'd read that they are made by the same people a couple of weeks ago as well.

Assuming no spare wheel bracket over the top, battery is secured firmly in place at the bottom rear edge by either the spare wheel holder bottom end, or the plastic moulding that forms the rear-ward wall of the battery compartment. There are two bolts that locate through whichever of these is securing the battery into fixed nuts at the bottom of the battery compartment moulding. Depending on when your car was built, you either need to remove all of the foam blocks holding the tool kit to access the bolts (early version), or for later cars, there is a cut-out in the long thin foam block rearward of the battery that allows you to use a foot long extension to access the bolts with your ratchet set.

>Its got a production date of 15/52 so its 4 years old. I use a CTEK on it. It has a little window and if it shows green its supposed to be ready to kick >the bucket....it definitely has a green tinge!

On two of my (Lion) batteries for the 1.4i they have a window showing charge - it is only when it is showing green that the battery is fully charged. Are you sure your window indicator works the way round you suggested?

Incidentally, the Varta E44s I bought recently are absolutely identical to the year older Bosch S5 (same rating, moulding, lid, handles, same terminal covers etc..) - and I'd read that they are made by the same people a couple of weeks ago as well.

OK I went and checked! I know it's counter intuitive, but it's definitely green means dead! It is hooked up on the CTEK but I'll buy a new one anyway. I'm not in a rush and I have a knackered suspension bearing/mount that needs sorting too so it is not going anywhere.

Attachments

• Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 158
I think the original batteries were VARTA Silver. I changed mine about a year ago and thought I'd phone Audi to see how overpriced there own batteries ( Varta with an Audi sticker over it )were for an A2.

"That'll be £248+VAT, Sir" ? came the answer.

Think I paid about £60 in the end.

Back