Recommendations on a 7 Seater under 5K

Mr Angry

A2OC Donor
Hi Guys,

Can someone recommend a 7 seater MPV, Automatic, Diesel, Low Road Tax for under 5K

I've been looking at the C-Max, Qashqui, Touran but need advice before i decide on one. Has anyone owned any of these? If only the A2 was a seven seater lol

With newer models 2008/9 onwards having the DPF is this something to worry about with this type of vehicle being used on the school run?

Thanks

Cammy

If you're mainly doing short runs and in traffic, avoid any diesel with a DPF if you can. If not, try to avoid one with a 'wet' DPF which requires a catalyst fluid to allow it to regenerate, as refilling it will inevitably have been missed and lead to blockage issues. The Peugeot/Citroen 2.0HDI and the Ford 2.0D of that era (also found in Volvos) are the same engine and both have this Achilles heel. Earlier examples don't however, and might be the better bet, unless you are in a city where they could start road-charging Euro IV and earlier emissions classes to get them off the roads, as London has.

Regarding the automatics, avoid the 'automated manual' dual-clutch gearboxes such as Ford's Powershift. I know VAG had problems with theirs as well. I don't know what the Qashqai used but old-school torque convertor 'boxes from that era are generally more reliable. Not quite sure where that leaves you from your shortlist - I fear the beastie you are looking for either doesn't exist, or will run the risk of being expensively unreliable.

Just my £0.02, feel free to disagree :)

Last edited:
I’m looking for the same thing at the moment (need to loose one a2 first) I’ve been looking at 1.9tdi Torans as the 1.9 is the PD engine and is very reliable. However doesn’t make a huge amount of power and is a heavy car. They do a 170hp 2.0tdi in the Touran, however having driven one they also don’t feel particularly quick but I’m sure better than the 1.9tdi. The resale on Tourans seems really good they are extremely cheap for what you get. Also consider the Sharan and the Caddy maxi life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had 2008 Touran 1.9TDI manual; great car and bulletproof engine (code BLS) above 200.000km now on original EGR and DPF.

My brothers 2010 Touran 2.0TDI 170HP manual is also running strong above 210.000km.

Look for rust, but thats about it. And short service intervals at 1year/15000km. But I would not buy such car if only use is short driving distances due to EGR/DPF

Had 2008 Touran 1.9TDI manual; great car and bulletproof engine (code BLS) above 200.000km now on original EGR and DPF.

My brothers 2010 Touran 2.0TDI 170HP manual is also running strong above 210.000km.

Look for rust, but thats about it. And short service intervals at 1year/15000km. But I would not buy such car if only use is short driving distances due to EGR/DPF

Hi Olerype,

It was my understanding they no 1.9tdi had the DPF as with all PD engines and this was a reason they killed off all PD engines and switched to common rail

correct, PD died when they brought in Common Rail, around about 2014 if I remember correctly.
The wet plate clutch DSGs are far better than the dry ones; DPFs are going to be par for the course and I wouldn't worry too much; you can always ask teh car how full it already is and work out then how much it's going to cost to replace and when.

Personally, if I needed a bus like this I'd want one with sliding doors, so a Caddy or Sharan would be high on my list. Touran is ultimately a box on wheels and if that's what you need...

- Bret

Hi Cammy,

My parents have a 2007 VW Touran. It has the 1.9TDI PD engine, so no DPF. It has a manual 6-speed 'box, though I believe they also exist as automatics. It's the equivalent of the SE model, and comes with cruise control, DIS, rear electric windows, SideGuard and a decent stereo as standard.

It's done 140,000 miles and has, so far, been absolutely bulletproof. It's had no repairs whatsoever; just servicing and cam belt changes, etc. Everything just works.
It's got a dual-mass flywheel and a variable vane turbo, but both seem much less fragile than those used on the A2 TDI90. The engine develops 105bhp, if I remember correctly, but the VGT turbo spools up very quickly, so the vehicle feels reasonably nippy for something so large.

Of the options you've listen, the Touran has a number of advantages to you. Being part of the VAG group, all diagnostics are done via VCDS. The 1.9TDI is basically a 4-cylinder version of the 1.4TDI used in the A2, meaning that knowledge of one is transferable to the other. This isn't the Touran owners' club, but I've no doubt that this friendly community would also help you with any issues that arose. The same may not be true if you buy the Nissan or the Ford.

The Touran is basically a 5-seater with two additional seats that unfold from the boot floor. For children, the seats in the boot are absolutely fine, but they're a bit small for taller adults. All in all, the interior is exceptionally flexible. The seats in the boot fold into the boot floor and the middle row of seats are all removable, just like the A2's rear seats. The front passenger seat also folds forwards. As such, you can reduce your 7-seater to be a 1-seater with a vast amount of space. Something tells me that the extra seats in the boot are an optional extra and therefore aren't necessarily included by default, so check this before you buy.

Edit: John's post below adds some great details regarding ISOfix systems and access considerations when using child seats. I know nothing about such matters, though I imagine these are important considerations for you.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
We have had 2011 Alhambra (2.0 140bhp manual) for about 5 years now (wifes car).
I recently sold my 2004 A4 1.9TDI quattro saloon late last year and bought a Touran (2015 2.0 TDI DSG 174bhp).

Alhambra/Sharan (new shape - sliding doors version):
  • Great car - wife cannot see herself going back to a 'normal' car for quite a while.
  • Sliding doors are handy
  • rear seats fold flat for good boot space.
  • All middle and rear seats fold flat for increased loadspace if required.
  • 3 car seats possible in middle row
  • Middle seats slide independently
  • Outer middle seats tilt so you can access rear seats without taking a car seat off.
  • Rear seats also have isofix (though they can be fiddly to access)
  • Adults can sit comfortably enough in rear seats
  • Still some room in boot with rearmost seats up. We could still fit a double buggy in whilst in 7 seater mode
  • Storage drawers in front seats
  • Ours has Adblue
Touran (1T not the latest 5T version )
  • Smaller than Ablhambra (obviously)
  • Middle row would not take 3 full carseats - you could get 2 and a small slim booster in middle seat.
  • Rear seats fold flat giving decent boot space
  • Middle row seats slide independently
  • Middle seats can fold and tilt up against the front seats, or be removed easily for increased loadspace if required.
  • Middle outer seats do not tilt for rear access, they fold and tilt, so access to the rears means taking car seat off - or using the middle seat folded or removed
  • No isofix on rearmost seats
  • Storage holes in middle footwell floor
  • Storage drawers and cubby below front seats.
  • No adblue
MPG wise, I'd say they are similar, 43 - 50ish depending on journey this is just from casual observation of DIS figures.

Issues wise, apart from normal servicing and wear/tear:

Alhambra:
  • NOx sesnor needed replaced ( I removed and cleaned the original one and teh Nox levels dropped and seemed to be within range, but computer said no. Dropped into dealer, new NOx sensor and computer still said no. Took them nearly a week to get computer to say yes.
  • Adblue heater needed replaced

Touran:
  • Condensation in front windscreen, took longtime to heart up/ clear
    • turned out there is an Aux heater ( just like the webasto in the A2)
    • this was locked out, unlocked and all seems to be fine again
  • Only have had it 3.5 months so that is it so far

I like both cars.

When searching, like yourself, I started looking at the 1.9 TDI versions but then had 'settled' on a 2.0 TDI touran with the BKD engine as being the most suitable (most 2.0 tdi issues sorted or known and no DPF, so this would be 2008 - 2010 140bhp versions).
Then, as these things go - up popped the 2015 car I bought.

John

Thanks for the informative replies :)

Like Edwrai, i too will be losing one of my A2's, that being the wife's Azure Blue Ex-Demo, Highly Specced 1.4TDI SE

You can check out her car here for more photos etc... https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/my-a2s-so-far.26952/

I've also seen the Citreon Grand Picasso and Peugeot 5008....are these not worth considering?

I've always been one to buy a car from an enthusiast and hopefully this continues. Any recommendations on which forums/clubs to search before i decide?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've also seen the Citreon Grand Picasso and Peugeot 5008....are these not worth considering?

I've always been one to buy a car from an enthusiast and hopefully this continues. Any recommendations on which forums/clubs to search before i decide?

Thanks

I've just bought a 2016 MY Touran (the 5T / latest version, although it's similar to the previous generation with only fairly aesthetic updates) for the 5 seats + 2 occaisional ones in the rear - It was down to either that or a Citroen C4 Grand Pic; which my sister has and I have borrowed for a long weekend with the family before to do a 300 mile round trip.

We went with the Touran as:
  1. It's a very compact vehicle for a 7 seater at 4.5m long and only 1.8m wide - This is important as I'll be living in rural Devon - The lanes there are legendary (width) and parking is tight (length). The boot is very small with all 7 seats up but as they'll only be used infrequenty and for short journeys, this trade-off is worth it for us - especially as my wife thought the Citroen was too large on the road to be comfortable with.
  2. German vs. French reliability
  3. I preferred the driving position and the way it drove (ours is a 2.0 TDI 150, so more powerful when fully loaded), even though the Citroen had the edge for example in terms of fuel economy.
  4. I prefer the Touran's looks to the Citroen - although I gather most people do not
That said, if size was no issue I'd have probably looked closer at the Citroen and perhaps persuaded my wife that she'd get used to the size - it is an excellent car, assuming you can get a good one that doesn't go wrong!

- Bret
[/QUOTE]
Personally, if I needed a bus like this I'd want one with sliding doors, so a Caddy or Sharan would be high on my list. Touran is ultimately a box on wheels and if that's what you need...

- Bret

I don't think that is very fair, as the Touran is basically a Caddy with carpet, insulation and more seats. They share pretty much everything else!

Like others have said the 1.9 TDI PD engine is great.

It is simple, reliable and very remappable too ?

I've often thought about the 1.9 in an A2 ?

correct, PD died when they brought in Common Rail, around about 2014 if I remember correctly.

A PD, at best, would be Euro4, which is why they were replaced with CR. A 2014 model would require Euro5b. CRs first appeared in about 2008/9.

RAB

I owned pd Sharan and it was probably the most reliable car i have ever owned. Bought with 45,000 miles and run for 10 years and sold with 197,000 miles on the clock.
In my ownership apart from basic service items it only ever needed 2 alternators replacing and was still on the same clutch, and it was used to tow a caravan.

hi I amnew on hear just joined but for mr angry and edwrai i don't know how many kids you have but I recently got an a2 and I have 3 kids there is a seat called a mifold worth a google they are really good for space saving regarding car seats hope this helps solve your problem, I manage to get a 7,5 year old on the my folds and the baby boy in his seat all on the rear bench

hi I amnew on hear just joined but for mr angry and edwrai i don't know how many kids you have but I recently got an a2 and I have 3 kids there is a seat called a mifold worth a google they are really good for space saving regarding car seats hope this helps solve your problem, I manage to get a 7,5 year old on the my folds and the baby boy in his seat all on the rear bench

Sean I have one of those mifold things here in Singapore to move our children around when we take taxis (which are dirt cheap - hence we don't own a car here). I read your post just now and feel compelled to write:

I think they are a great solution for what we use them for (low speed, short journeys), however they are not suitable for longer journeys and I would say they are dangerous at higher speeds as the way the shoulder belt is secured is not sufficient to ensure the child's neck is adequately protected in the event of an accident - also they provide no lateral support whatsoever, for example in the event of a T-Bone collision: In Australia and some other countries, they are illegal for these reasons - I am not sure why the EU permits the use of it (Singapore follows the EU on almost everything when it comes to transportation standards).

My strong advice would be: Do yourself and your kids a favour, get them proper seats.

Last edited:
Sean I have one of those mifold things here in Singapore to move our children around when we take taxis (which are dirt cheap - hence we don't own a car here). I read your post just now and feel compelled to write:

I think they are a great solution for what we use them for (low speed, short journeys), however they are not suitable for longer journeys and I would say they are dangerous at higher speeds as the way the shoulder belt is secured is not sufficient to ensure the child's neck is adequately protected in the event of an accident - also they provide no lateral support whatsoever, for example in the event of a T-Bone collision: In Australia and some other countries, they are illegal for these reasons - I am not sure why the EU permits the use of it (Singapore follows the EU on almost everything when it comes to transportation standards).

My strong advice would be: Do yourself and your kids a favour, get them proper seats.
hi under stand where you are coming from, we do have a zafira and normal car seats for the long runs etc, I was lucky to pick the Audi up for £200 nothing wrong with it jus sat on the chaps drive for a year and he was going to scrap it as he no longer uses it (cycles to work) and iv now decided its going to be a school runner all b roads and lucky if you can get over 40, and the zafira is shocking on fuel
but also like to pop in on the dpf thing people are mentioning they are fine if you are doing regular runs on motor ways or a roads where u can keep it cleared out but if u do lots of short runs beware they clog up very quickly and it is very embarrassing when it regenerates loads of blue white smoke pumping out for 10 mins normally also can have problems with emission tests at mot

Hi Guys,

I can't believe it's been nearly a year since i posted this lol anyways, i held back on buying a car due to all this covid carry on. Not that things have progressed much since last time, i am needing to get a car soon. After much consideration on which 7 seater to buy i have decided to settle and buy (if i can find one near by) a VW Sharan or the Seat Alhambra, Diesel, Automatic, Leather Seats and all the other gizmos that go with it. I know i'm probably expecting to much with a budget of 5K but a Sharan with SE SEL or Alhambra SE LUX might be out of my reach!

If you know anyone who is selling or can advise the best approach with covid restrictions on these 2 models mentioned above, i would greatly appreciate it. I've seen a few on ebay, autotrader etc... but as i've been a forum member and purchaser of 4 A2's over the past 13 years i'm finding it hard to trust or rely on private sales with their descriptions and lack of pictures. I would also add that garages are not much better with their over inflated prices. I know i could join other forums but thought i would ask here first :)

Thanks for your time :)

Hi Guys,

I can't believe it's been nearly a year since i posted this lol anyways, i held back on buying a car due to all this covid carry on. Not that things have progressed much since last time, i am needing to get a car soon. After much consideration on which 7 seater to buy i have decided to settle and buy (if i can find one near by) a VW Sharan or the Seat Alhambra, Diesel, Automatic, Leather Seats and all the other gizmos that go with it. I know i'm probably expecting to much with a budget of 5K but a Sharan with SE SEL or Alhambra SE LUX might be out of my reach!

If you know anyone who is selling or can advise the best approach with covid restrictions on these 2 models mentioned above, i would greatly appreciate it. I've seen a few on ebay, autotrader etc... but as i've been a forum member and purchaser of 4 A2's over the past 13 years i'm finding it hard to trust or rely on private sales with their descriptions and lack of pictures. I would also add that garages are not much better with their over inflated prices. I know i could join other forums but thought i would ask here first :)

Thanks for your time :)

I bought a very high mike Alhambra this year it’s been a very good car.

We had a VW Sharan in 1997. No problems at all as I recall - other than monstrous depreciation. I know that it was still running in 2007 as I saw it - it was a taxi in Worthing and was then on 249,000 miles, but it looks as if it was scrapped later that year.

Back