Recommended 1.6 FSI thermostat

A2 Louis

Banned
Hi all I need a new thermostat for Boris I was wondering what is the best thermostat to use as there’s loads out there starting from £20 to £120 ?

I would personally stick with the genuine Audi thermostats Louis. I think Crewe Audi have listed them for around £20 on a group buy.

I would personally stick with the genuine Audi thermostats Louis. I think Crewe Audi have listed them for around £20 on a group buy.
Yes unfortunately on the 1.6 FSI you have to have the thermostat housing too all I need is a thermostat as my housing is good :rolleyes::)

yes very much so, as i said a very good quality product, will you be fitting it your self
I will have a mechanic helping me out just in case I do something wrong ? how long did the thermostat take to arrive as I need it for Saturday?

Thanks

I agree stick with Audi/OEM whenever possible. Tom at Crewe Audi quoted £78 for a thermostat for my FSI last October.

Louis, I have more to say, but I have to go out and I am already late, back later.

Andy

Last edited:
I recently had mine done by Gary, the whole assembly genuine Audi which was £200 for the part. There was a link to it or a thread about it on here recently. Ours was good anyway got up to temp quickly but had developed a slight leek.

Found it the link is here. It comes in a none standard box but the part supplied is a genuine Audi part and only £120. You'll see what i mean with my comment and pic on the thread.

FSI thermostat

Hi Louis,

I thought we had recently discussed the FSI thermostat, in your thread and Nod's thread.

Just to add, I have since followed in Nod's footsteps and bought the thermostat housing + thermostat from PIM using his link and I am convinced that this Mahle product was the one used by Audi in our FSI's. Evidence is the scratched off Audi rings and references here on the thermostat

and the housing

and Mark's(Vorsprung durch Technik) confirmation with the old removed housing and picture

Out of interest some more pictures but notice what I assume is the recent product date and the green temperature sender comes installed for free.

SAM_4092.JPGSAM_4098.JPGSAM_4099.JPGSAM_4100.JPG

My recommendation is therefore to buy a Mahle Original thermostat. A Google search "Audi A2 032121121N" will yield the usual suppliers, e.g.. Autodoc.. and seem to be all around £70 which just undercuts Crewe Audi price of £78 I mentioned earlier (but at least you get the rings!)

I know you are adamant you want just the thermostat but I have checked the eBay PIM listing and it is still active and the price has dropped to £94 (from the £106 I paid in mid April, sob), recommend you strongly consider this option!!!!!!!!

Andy

While you fitting it i recommend changing the plastic pipe from the water pump to the thermostat -known as the death pipe. Cheers mike

Hi Andrew my thermostat and housing was changed February last year by Audi the previous owner paid £350:eek: I’m only going to replace the thermostat as the housing should still be solid and ok I wouldn’t of thought the housing would go brittle in just over a year!!! I’m surprised that I’m having to replace the thermostat knowing it’s only just over a year old !!!:mad:

I’m thinking of buying this off euro car parts

Louis - I believe that Audi provide 2 years warranty on replacement parts so save yourself some money and get them to replace it free of charge.

Update everyone I rang Leicester Audi today and they are going to replace the thermostat and housing under warranty free of charge and even give me a courtesy car :) Boris is going in on Tuesday so all being well we will have nice warm heating :)

Back