Refurbishment of a worn A2

DasWiesel

It´s been a while since i introduced myself to this forum and i was working on my A2 the last few months bit by bit.
Like other members before, i would like to start a thread with all I´ve done so far and going to do.

The start:
I have owned my first A2 several years ago. Well, not exactly owned it as it was a leased car but I drove it quite some time.
What can I say, I really liked that car and the idea of what to do with my very own A2 never let go of me.
Right before changing my job and losing my company car, a friend of mine told me his neighbour would like to sell an A2.
The only mandatory extra I was interested in was an Open Sky roof so i asked for some specs. My friends answer:

"2002, 130.000 km, Silver, 75HP Petrol, Open Sky, black leather."
-"Sounds good! What price is he asking?"
"2000 €"
- "Coming!"

I was warned before It would be in terrible condition and off the road for several months already. Their 5 year old son was using the car as his playground and you would´t belive how much a little child is able to destroy.
Apart from that it was veeeeery dirty and needed a intense clean up immediately. The list of damages and faults was long. Here are the most important i can remember:

- 2 mean dents in a-pillar and roof
- rear bumper and one PDC sensor damaged
- PDC constantly beeping when reverse gear is selected
- left mirror was held by florist's wire
- drivers door retainig strap clacks
- Open Sky doesn´t work ( of course ;) )
- water in left head light
- battery weak
- 2nd gear isn´t working
- electric windows not working
- electric fuel flap not working
- electric tail gate not working
- drivers door switches completely dead
- rims scratched all around
- radio without reception

Call me crazy, but i still wanted that car and so the deal was settled at 1700 €. :cool:

After a first cleaning and buying some 17" from a fellow A2 owner in Munich it looked like this:

P1010130kl-vi.jpg

The first things i repaired were the more easy and quick ones.
After dismantling the left mirror, i knew why there was florist's wire wraped around it. The foot was broken and I had to order a new one.

L1050097kl-vi.jpg

The clacking drivers door retainig strap was an easy fix, too. It wasn´t only very worn, the screws usually holding it were simply missing!
As nobody has cared about it, the loose door strap meanwhile had made big scratched inside the door and destroyed the bass speaker.

L1050094kl-vi.jpg

It seemed like the car had a light impact at the rear bumper. One PDC sensor had broken out and fallen into the bumper.
After the sensor was fixed, I had a normally working PDC again.

L1050107kl-vi.jpg

Yes, those are RS6 style wheels. Exactly the ones I´ve wanted and I was lucky enough to get them at a very fair price.

Still have to search on several chips and sticks for the few pictures I´ve taken from the very first repairs.

After driving around without a working 2nd gear for a while, I was tired of shifting from 1st to 3rd, so the gearbox came out a was repaired.
I only have two pics of the freshly sealed gearbox with some new bolts.

P1010752kl-vi.jpg

P1010751kl-vi.jpg

Getting the gearbox out and in was a real pain in the .... but it was worth it.
I finally had all 5 gears shifting nice and smooth again. :)

Back