Removing engine without breaking AC circuit

Hi, I'm pulling the engine on my 1.4 TDI 75 (AMF) and I'm going down the out-the-front route. I'm following the Workshop Manuals instructions to remove the lock carrier assembly and it says that you should remove the AC condenser from the carrier assembly without breaking the AC circuit and - once the assembly has been removed - secure the condenser to the front wheel.

If I do that, will I still be able to pull the engine out past the condenser and its piping? Or is it just easier to detach the piping from the condenser and remove it along with the carrier assembly, radiator and charge cooler?

I removed the gearbox out the front of my tdi 90 to do the clutch leaving the AC circuit intact and I don’t think removing the engine would be much more effort, you have to unbolt a couple of pipe clamps and separate the condenser from the front panel/rad assembly and then it just rotates out around to the front right, There is more and a couple of pics here:

Regards
Andy

I don’t know about the 1.4tdi engines but I have changed 1.4 petrol engines by just removing V belt and the unbolting Aircon pump then remove the engine and gearbox from the bottom of the car without removing the front panel.

Back