Removing Front Wing

993BOY

Hi All,

Bought a cheap second hand wing rather than having mine re-painted, thought it would be much easier and cheaper.

Having a pig of a job trying to remove the front o/s wing ?

I think that I have all of the bolts out except for the 2 at the very bottom hidden by the black cill cover and front behind bumper.
Am I correct in assuming that the whole side cill cover has to be removed? started to do this and the upper clips started to snap off, so have stopped for now!

Do I also need to remove the front bumper to get at the couple of screws there? looks like they are behind the water bottle?

What I thought would be an hour job, is turning out to probably take a day or more!

Your expert knowledge would be much appreciated.

No you don’t need to remove the whole sill, you can remove just the first 6 or so mounting points and then it can be gently pulled down enough to undo the 2 bottom bolts.

The front door and the front bumper will need to come off. The bumper only needs to come off on the side you are working on.

There is no washer bottle on the offside, thats the air filter housing and it doesn’t need to be removed.

No you don’t need to remove the whole sill, you can remove just the first 6 or so mounting points and then it can be gently pulled down enough to undo the 2 bottom bolts.

The front door and the front bumper will need to come off. The bumper only needs to come off on the side you are working on.

There is no washer bottle on the offside, thats the air filter housing and it doesn’t need to be removed.
Think I am almost there, it’s actually the n/s wing, my mistake!
Slackened part of bumper and under tray to access the 2 screws in the front of the wing.
Managed to slacken the front of the cill trim just enough to get to the 2 13mm nuts at the bottom of the wing by the door.
Haven’t taken the door off yet, all bolts and screws removed....I think, hoping that I’ll get the wing off without removing the door?

What do you think?
Why does the door need to be removed?

top of wing where it meets the corner glass was tight to pull out, hope it goes back easier ?

It’s been a lot more work than I thought, certainly put together well!!
Ran out of time, hope the get wing off and replacement fitted tomorrow ?

Last edited:
Have a look at this thread for a few pointers.

All done! What an awkward little job that was!
Think it took me around 8 hours or so from start to finish.
Worst part was access to the 2 bottom 13mm nuts, cill cover had to be loosened to enable it to be disconnected from wing and to allow access to nuts. This process caused some minor damage to cill cover making it split a bit and snapped off a couple of retainers along the top edge.
Wasn’t too concerned, as it needs replacing at some point in the future, looks like someone tried to jack it up on the cill and there is a hole , but it’s fine for now.
Next job is to touch up and flatten wing to remove scratches, awaiting touch up stick and cutting compound, got 1500 & 2500 grade wet and dry ready?

Back