Removing rear 'spoiler'

Hi - I want to improve the terrible rear view and thought about taking the 'spoiler' off, to at least gain a bit more. The spoiler stops rain cleaning the lower third of the glass....I know, spoiler's there to improve economy but this is hardly a Ferrari

Is it glued on? mild heatgun and a scraper?

I wouldn't be expecting too many positive replies if I were you as I don't think there will be many people on here that would be keen in assisting you butcher and ruin an A2.

Could I suggest maybe concentrating more on where you are going rather than where you've been as every one else seems to manage to see behind them ok and if it's parking you are struggling with might I suggest you look at some rear sensors or possibly a different car if you're not happy with it's design?

It's not a great design though is it - and don't get me started on the air buffeting at any speed over 30!!

guess I'll just get the wet sponge out more often

Hi - I want to improve the terrible rear view and thought about taking the 'spoiler' off, to at least gain a bit more. The spoiler stops rain cleaning the lower third of the glass....I know, spoiler's there to improve economy but this is hardly a Ferrari

I'm certainly not going to encourage you to do this.

In more than 2½ years of interest in the A2 world, I've not seen more than a couple of examples in pictures, where the rear spoiler is missing. They look awful without it, the poor things - like a Manx cat that has no tail. And it is very strongly bonded on. Get it wrong and break the glass, and that's a windscreen fitter job to remove the glass from a scrap tailgate and replace it onto your car. Or change the whole tailgate, if you get another one the right colour, but that's a very involved job.

Please, just don't go there ?

There are mounting points in the glass for the spoiler so even if you remove the spoiler you will still see the black strip on the inside thereby negating any benefit you were hoping to gain in rear view.

The A2 also looks very very strange without one.

It’s also bolted on, honestly I wouldn’t even try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a great design though is it - and don't get me started on the air buffeting at any speed over 30!!

guess I'll just get the wet sponge out more often
It's actually a fantastic design which ensures that your rear screen is free of rain at anything over 30mph, apart from the small strip below the spoiler. If you're referring to the buffeting from having the windows open, then get some window deflectors - plenty of people on A2OC have them fitted and swear by them. I just turn up the climate a notch.

Don't wish to be a spoilsport, but wouldn't something with a rear wiper be a bit more suitable in this case?
I've never found a car with a rear wiper that can clear more than 2/3 of the glass - more often it's far less. The Audi designers did a fantastic job on the A2 and there's no need to do anything with the rear screen other than clean it once in a while.

It's actually a fantastic design which ensures that your rear screen is free of rain at anything over 30mph, apart from the small strip below the spoiler. If you're referring to the buffeting from having the windows open, then get some window deflectors - plenty of people on A2OC have them fitted and swear by them. I just turn up the climate a notch.

When I look in the mirror, that 'small strip' amounts to nearly half the view.

window deflectors? couldn't Audi have got it right in the first place?

As you are obviously unhappy with items that make the A2 what it is. I suggest perhaps an A2 is not for you rather than just complain about its features.

When I look in the mirror, that 'small strip' amounts to nearly half the view.

window deflectors? couldn't Audi have got it right in the first place?

If the strip is half your view, then clean it on a regular basis. I can say it's never been an issue for me, nor for the vast majority of owners here. It's also the front where you should be looking more of the time, fret less on the stuff behind you.

They did - the car wasn't designed to be run with the windows open. Perhaps you've not got your purchase right in this case?

As you are obviously unhappy with items that make the A2 what it is. I suggest perhaps an A2 is not for you rather than just complain about its features.
I think I was just expecting a bit more from VAG. There are features I that I like and there are features that I don't. I am in the minority but that's okay

If the strip is half your view, then clean it on a regular basis. I can say it's never been an issue for me, nor for the vast majority of owners here. It's also the front where you should be looking more of the time, fret less on the stuff behind you.

They did - the car wasn't designed to be run with the windows open. Perhaps you've not got your purchase right in this case?

Yet it came with a cigar lighter? and electric windows for ease of use?

Remember the Delorean also came with a cigar lighter and electric windows. A2 far more practical and useable.

Back