removing the seats

bretti_kivi

disconnect the battery
wait for 10 minutes at least

Raise the seat so the back is almost vertical.

Take the covers off the rear of the seat runners; there are two per side.

You'll need a multistar 12 (I think, I will check). There are four bolts holding the seat in place; two at the rear (under the covers) and two at the front into the crossmember.

Disconnect the cables from underneath before trying to remove the seats!

It is really, really easy.

Don't be tempted if you're putting soundproofing in to put it on top of the crossmember: if you do, the seat won't fit back in.

Bret

Front seat removal

Hi there - will be changing my front seats shortly - if I disconnect battery as described ie. over 10 minutes will I lose the radio code . I have a memory saver device which plugs into the cigarette lighter and runs off a small internal battery . If I use this do you think it would be dangerous to work on the airbag system or do you reckon it would be fine or is it better to just disconnect the battery as Brett describes

Regards David

you do not need the radio code if you have an original Audi radio. Do not leave any power connected as that may be enough to trigger the airbags.

Bret

This is helpful for when I install my new leather seats in a few weeks... How long per seat would you say?

Mine were out in around an hour, both sides. Getting them out of the car, cleaning them and returning.. another hour, no more.

Bret

Please can someone let me know the correct bit required for removing the front seats ?

Thanks in advance

Very useful for me too. I have a set of sports seats awaiting the healing of my knee so I can fit them.

disconnect the battery
wait for 10 minutes at least

Raise the seat so the back is almost vertical.

Take the covers off the rear of the seat runners; there are two per side.

You'll need a multistar 12 (I think, I will check). There are four bolts holding the seat in place; two at the rear (under the covers) and two at the front into the crossmember.

Disconnect the cables from underneath before trying to remove the seats!

It is really, really easy.

Don't be tempted if you're putting soundproofing in to put it on top of the crossmember: if you do, the seat won't fit back in.

Bret

So really old post bug currently trying to decide what bolts I need to remove! I've taken the cover off but currently scratching my head. Ideas anyone? Is it the bolts in the rails that come out?

Last edited:
So really old post bug currently trying to decide what bolts I need to remove! I've taken the cover off but currently scratching my head. Ideas anyone? Is it the bolts in the rails that come out?

Yes mate, one at the back of the rails on either side and one at the front where it curls over into the carpet area.

I've just got to the point of removing the fronts to put the Leather / Alcantaras in - and it appears there are only 3 bolts securing the seats. One each on the rear (handbrake side), and the two each at the front. Pushing the top outside shoulder of the seat does result in it rocking slightly inwards and the rail end lifts. So clearly the missing bolts (rear outer rail) need to be replaced when I put the new seats in so that they are fully secured.

Part number appears to be N10527301 m8 x 30 spline bolt - but looking down the hole where the bolt is in my other A2, I can't see a threaded section at the bottom on either outer seat rail. Is there meant to be a captive nut or threaded piece in there or am I just being daft?

Secondly, the rail cover at the back has some kind of plastic push rivet holding it in from below - does this just flip out with a screwdriver tip?

Easy answer first, yes the plastic rivet does just come out with a screwdriver tip.

I have a memory from when I did a lot of seat changes, that under the bolt hole in the rear mounting point for the outer seat rail there is a thick metal piece that has the thread, and this can slide. I never found out if it could get as far as coming out but certainly the threaded hole could be misaligned with the mounting point hole, or even appear to vanish.

Easy answer first, yes the plastic rivet does just come out with a screwdriver tip.

I have a memory from when I did a lot of seat changes, that under the bolt hole in the rear mounting point for the outer seat rail there is a thick metal piece that has the thread, and this can slide. I never found out if it could get as far as coming out but certainly the threaded hole could be misaligned with the mounting point hole, or even appear to vanish.

TPS are getting me a pair overnight for a couple of quid. Will have a look for the threaded bit later now I know what I'm looking for. Ta!

Seek and ye shall find - there was a pile of unmatched bits in the tray in front of the gear lever that I've been unable to work out the origins of over the past 9 months - and here are two of them! - @Proghound . The green-metallic object slides perfectly into the alloy extrusion that the seat sits on, and the seat bolt screws perfectly into it. Can't find it on 7zap though and there is no part number.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 205
I have done lots of seat changes but have never disconnected the battery. Never had a problem. Luck??
Just don’t turn the ignition on or the airbag warning system will need resetting.

Back