Removing the wiper arm

Pugliese

A2OC Donor
I like a challenge, but the wiper arm is winning at the moment.

I have followed all the suggestions on the forum from wiggling, sharp pull, levering etc but despite being soaked in WD40 for over a week the wiper arm is firmly welded to the wiper motor.

So I ordered a cheap puller, took great care lining up to make sure there was equal pressure both sides, well that failed with the puller breaking.

Then spoke to my local independent Audi guy and he said that even using an Audi puller perfectly shaped for the job they often end up with the cast alloy wiper arm just breaking. So that made me think, maybe if using a dremel I could cut it off?

Just wanted an opinion from the much wiser than me collective. Attempt to cut off or give in and take it to the garage?

Edit: Forgot to add that I do have a new wiper arm.

I have followed all the suggestions on the forum from wiggling, sharp pull, levering etc but despite being soaked in WD40 for over a week the wiper arm is firmly welded to the wiper motor.

So I ordered a cheap puller, took great care lining up to make sure there was equal pressure both sides, well that failed with the puller breaking.

Then spoke to my local independent Audi guy and he said that even using an Audi puller perfectly shaped for the job they often end up with the cast alloy wiper arm just breaking. So that made me think, maybe if using a dremel I could cut it off?

Just wanted an opinion from the much wiser than me collective. Attempt to cut off or give in and take it to the garage?

I tried two cheap pullers, and neither would shift my wiper arm. Then I got one of these, which worked perfectly:

I took off the smaller arm first as this seems to keep both arms taught. On the bigger arm I filled it with wd40 and lightly tapped it with a socket set socket that was bigger than the nut. This was trying to get the wd40 to penetrate.
Eventually after lots of light tapping and lots more wd40 it loosened.

I’ve done a few, I just point the wiper in the up position then strongly wiggle pushing and pulling and they normally rock out easily doing this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve done a few, I just point the wiper in the up position then strongly wiggle pushing and pulling and they normally rock out easily doing this

Same here, must have removed 40-50 with no issues.

I’ve never failed on one yet
Undo the nit two turns then pull as hard as you can and rock the cast arm at the same time
You have a lot of leverage and a lot of mechanical advantage over the small tapper
The tapper always looses in the end

I’ve never failed on one yet
Same. Although a puller tool can be used, I've yet to find one that was stubborn enough to resist a strong wiggle. As is mentioned above, take the smaller arm off first. This one usually grips less. Once only the larger arm is attached, it can be wiggled in all directions, which helps to free it up.

Last edited:
Totally off topic, but how are the olive trees? Has xylella fastidiosa badly affected your immediate area?
It's been absolutely devastating further south of us. Centuries old olive groves just wiped out. Absolutely awful.

At the moment we are just north of the disease and probably more important we are on the lower Murge plateau, which at 2-300 metres up, so hopefully will offer some protection. However good husbandry is as important as well, keeping the land clear around the trees but without pesticides - V. difficult as we are stuck in the UK!

Although our trullo looks great to summer tourists, the very best time of year is November, the olive harvest. The oil is sublime. Maybe trade some for A2 parts :)

Absolutely awful.
It is indeed absolutely awful. Do you know what the long-term prospects are? Are some trees from some areas showing greater resistance, leading perhaps to a resistant strain? Whilst the world is so focused on coronavirus, the poor olive groves have a health crisis of their own. I sincerely hope that the little bit of altitude saves your trees and those of others, and that you manage to escape the restrictions of the pandemic to tend to the groves properly. Fingers crossed.

I'm certainly happy to exchange A2 expertise for quality olive produce. Yummy! I could eat an unhealthy amount of olives. :D

There are a couple of mountains in the southern Apennines that are on my 'must climb' list that are within striking distance of Puglia. I think I'll just drift off into dreams of Italian adventure holidays.

Warm regards,

Tom

Last edited:
It is indeed absolutely awful. Do you know what the long-term prospects are? Are some trees from some areas showing greater resistance, leading perhaps to a resistant strain? Whilst the world is so focused on coronavirus, the poor olive groves have a health crisis of their own. I sincerely hope that the little bit of altitude saves your trees and those of others, and that you manage to escape the restrictions of the pandemic to tend to the groves properly. Fingers crossed.

I'm certainly happy to exchange A2 expertise for quality olive produce. Yummy! I could eat an unhealthy amount of olives. :D

There are a couple of mountains in the southern Apennines that are on my 'must climb' list that are within striking distance of Puglia. I think I'll just drift off into dreams of Italian adventure holidays.

Warm regards,

Tom

Always happy to host any A2 enthusiast. Our A2 still makes the journey every year, as we use it to transport the olives. Mind you last summer the a/c was a bit off, so we had to slum it in the TTRS - not the same, but we did get there a bit quicker :D

Mine resisted the pulling and I was terrified of breaking so I used some Plusgas a few times a day for three or four days. Next time I went out and ‘pop’ the top one came off with nary a tug.

I don’t have a great deal to compare it to - WD40? - but Plusgas was recommended to me by an indie garage that deals with VW camper vans all day - rust expert...

Pouring boiling water from a kettle directly on the spindle area can sometimes help to loosen it off

Works for me: fit the puller, tighten it up really tight, then use a hammer to deliver a firm tap the top of the puller spindle. Never failed yet!

Thanks for all the extra suggestions.

Plusgas is a good shout as is the boiling water, because I think I am right in saying that the oxide that is causing it to stick is mainly water and couple this with heating/cooling could be enough to free it. Otherwise I will order the Welzh Werkzeug suggested earlier

When I fitted a New Wiper Arm my old Arm was tight but no tools, or releasing fluid were needed to remove it. Just a good wiggle and pull.

Omega 636 Penetrating Oil is without doubt the most effective as a releasing fluid. Also known as Jamaica Oil because it has “ Jamaican Pimento Oil “ it it. The only oil that is heavier than water apparently. Do NOT get it on your skin though !

Back