Repairing Speedo Panel

Jellybean

A2OC Donor
Ok guys have a Tdi on which the time adjusting peg is broken internally.
Have a spare cluster from an FSI so stripped to look see how the peg works. Have taken pic below, but cannot see how to remove the peg without breaking it. I am thinking to remove from this cluster and fit to the Tdi cluster.
Any advice appreciated?
d207c05e743271b754c57526aac63183.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

They're a challenge. The various parts of the plastic 'stalk' are pushed together and engage with a 'widerhaken' (I'm not sure what the English term is for this, but it translates as 'returning barb'). If you can locate the 'returning barbs' and push them in with a blunt needle or something, you may be able to separate the various parts of the 'stalk' and transfer it onto the other cluster.

Cheers,

Tom

@timmus - would "ratchet" be an effective translation? Obviously there is a more normal connotation with a rotating cog that can't go backwards, but you could have a linear equivalent.

Looking this up suggests that engineers would prefer the word "pawl" for the bit that prevents the return movement by engaging with the teeth, which seems to fulfil the "widerhaken" role - in the manner of a fish-hook or harpoon hook implied.

Last edited:
@timmus - would "ratchet" be an effective translation? Obviously there is a more normal connotation with a rotating cog that can't go backwards, but you could have a linear equivalent.

'Barb' is just fine; it's actually a plastic one way non-return barb or valve.

I would go with 'Barb' in this instance, a pawl normally as some way of releasing the pawl in order to allow movement the other way

Paul

Evening All,

I now have Jellybeans TDI which came with this inherent problem, which wasn’t mentioned at the time of purchase.

Any help enabling me to be able to set the date and time will be very much appreciated.

I’ve managed to get it to the correct time by setting my alarm for 23:55 to disconnect and reconnect the battery at midnight.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening All,

I now have Jellybeans TDI which came with this inherent problem, which wasn’t mentioned at the time of purchase.

Any help enabling me to be able to set the date and time will be very much appreciated.

I’ve managed to get it to the correct time by setting my alarm for 23:55 to disconnect and reconnect the battery at midnight.

Kind regards,

Tom
Bear in mind the clocks change in a few weeks and you will have to do it again (unless fixed), might be worth delaying.

Andy

Bear in mind the clocks change in a few weeks and you will have to do it again (unless fixed), might be worth delaying.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I e already done it and yes I will need to repeat the disconnect reconnect at the end of the month. Fingers crossed I have it repaired/replaced by then.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening All,

Kind regards,

Tom
Apologies Tom, I completely forgot about this.

Apologies Tom, I completely forgot about this.

Hi Rob,

You may have seen on the Project OEM thread that this has now been solved. I now no longer have to wait until midnight to set the time and live back in the year 2000.

For future readers who come across this issue in the future, it is a simple repair but quite difficult to remove a good needle from a good instrument cluster. Underneath the red squash plunger/grommet (non green circuit board side) you will find the 2 black barbs (1 either side) that need to be pushed in together to take it apart.

There is probably a simple tool to assist with this but I used 2 precision screwdrivers and pulled the needle out.

Very happy both the instrument cluster and the RNS-E now display the correct time.

Thank you @timmus for the information earlier in this thread which enabled the courage to attempt such a repair, normally this is something I’d stay well clear of.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back