Replacing numberplates

This'll sound silly possibly but rather than leap into it I thought I'd ask first.
I have ordered replacement number plates, cleaner less fussy ones and thought I should ask about tools needed, tips and tricks etc... to getting the old ones off and the new ones on... help appreciated.

My two cents. depends on if the little plastic covers were on or if the screws holding them in have become rusty little demons sent from hell.

Last time I did I had to break out the dremel and create a flat head slot to get the screw out.

All depends on the condition of the screws, and also the condition of the panel you're screwing them into. The panels aren't designed for a lot of changes.

My two cents. depends on if the little plastic covers were on or if the screws holding them in have become rusty little demons sent from hell.

Last time I did I had to break out the dremel and create a flat head slot to get the screw out.

All depends on the condition of the screws, and also the condition of the panel you're screwing them into. The panels aren't designed for a lot of changes.
you make a good point about the current condition, I'll take photos of the current ones to give more context and info.

Two basic methods of attachment - stuck on or screwed on. Both have their upsides and downsides (drilling holes at risk of cracking plates, vs. expense of foam tape, trusting it to keep them stuck on etc.) If you go the foam tape route, use nothing less than 3M VHB (5952F is their product code).

I'd recommend number plate holders. The A2OC ones in the Shop have loads of holes built in for you, in all sorts of different configurations, so you'll be able to re-use any existing holes in the front bumper and the two that Audi left in the rear tailgate. Being larger than the plates themselves they cover screw holes from previously used plate positions too. Then just insert your number plates and they are secure and also easily changed again in future should you wish.

OK, more info, I think that the current plates are glued/stuck onto the Audi dealership plastic surrounds and that those surrounds are screwed onto the front bumper/rear door.
So my follow up question is, do the screws fix onto captive bolts or do I need to have a hand at the back to catch loose bolts when removing them?
For clarity, I'm also looking to get rid of the surrounds and just have the plates attached for a cleaner look.
I attached a couple of pics.

Attachments

• B293B180-D529-4AE6-824B-BAF0E7458993_1_201_a.jpeg
    B293B180-D529-4AE6-824B-BAF0E7458993_1_201_a.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 2B60894E-DBF5-43A5-A604-71984C8410BA_1_201_a.jpeg
    2B60894E-DBF5-43A5-A604-71984C8410BA_1_201_a.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 237
OK, more info, I think that the current plates are glued/stuck onto the Audi dealership plastic surrounds and that those surrounds are screwed onto the front bumper/rear door.
So my follow up question is, do the screws fix onto captive bolts or do I need to have a hand at the back to catch loose bolts when removing them?
For clarity, I'm also looking to get rid of the surrounds and just have the plates attached for a cleaner look.
Send the new ones back! Existing look quite good to me, save yourself the grief.

Andy

Yep, from those pics I'd go with the plates being stuck into the holders and the holders being screwed onto the car.

There are no captive nuts behind the bumper or the tailgate lower panel. You just need ordinary screws going into the plastic of the bumper at the front, and Audi has provided holes for you in the tailgate. Halfords always used to do a pack of numberplate screws with yellow, white & black washers with similar plastic covers for the screw heads.

Yep, from those pics I'd go with the plates being stuck into the holders and the holders being screwed onto the car.

There are no captive nuts behind the bumper or the tailgate lower panel. You just need ordinary screws going into the plastic of the bumper at the front, and Audi has provided holes for you in the tailgate. Halfords always used to do a pack of numberplate screws with yellow, white & black washers with similar plastic covers for the screw heads.
Ah interesting, so there's no bolts on the back of the screws? I got a kit with the new plates that has screws and caps.
I guess I thought that plates would be more robustly secured :)

Hi mightyleader,
There are 2 captive nuts in the rear door
1F1007E8-BB5D-4E7C-971A-9933448CCBF6.jpeg

Probably M4 or M5
Hth
Keith.

When I fitted A2OC frames to mine, I used the existing captive nuts to fix the frame at the rear, but, because the front bumper is curved, I used a couple of self tappers close to the ends, to form the curve, and a couple of double sided tape squares, at 1/3 & 2/3, to keep it snug.
Mac.

If you want legal pressed metal plates and/or surrounds:

No connection with above, just a customer!

RAB

Don't forget, after Dec31st, you don't need, even should not have EU spec plates, 'cos you're not with us anymore !

Also, if you go off the island, you must have the old style GB sticker on the centre or left side rear of your machine & boy, are the gendarmes & other police forces going to be looking to make a quick euro out of anyone without one !!

Then there's your paperwork & valid licence to be checked on !!

Happy European motoring, everyone ........

Martin

With any car I've owned and going back many years, I've always put a lot into improving the number plates and their mounting. I've seen new cars which have cost £20-30,000 and they've got cheap and crude plates fixed with a couple of screws! I source stainless-steel mounting rectangles/number plate holders. With some thought and packing pieces they can be secured to the Audi A2. I then fix the number plate in place using 3M VHB double-sided tape. It's tenacious and I've never had a plate loosen in any way. I NEVER use screws and the benefit of using the tape is that the number plates are smooth and flush, with no protrusions. They're therefore easy to clean. I hope that you've found this useful.

David

Don't forget, after Dec31st, you don't need, even should not have EU spec plates, 'cos you're not with us anymore !

Also, if you go off the island, you must have the old style GB sticker on the centre or left side rear of your machine & boy, are the gendarmes & other police forces going to be looking to make a quick euro out of anyone without one !!
Good to know that you get your information from "social" media or similar! For those that don't know, if you have a GB or EU flag on your current number plate, you don't need a GB sticker.

RAB

Good to know that you get your information from "social" media or similar! For those that don't know, if you have a GB or EU flag on your current number plate, you don't need a GB sticker.

RAB
Just taken this off the RAC website

On or after 1 January 2021
You must display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:
  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier
Guess they might know ?

Then there's your paperwork & valid licence to be checked on !!

Happy European motoring, everyone ........

Martin
I know.. I'm so gutted, I love holidaying and travelling in Europe, without wishing to provoke a political discussion I'm so disappointed that Brexit is happening, disastrous for this country.

If you use a frame, the frame fits the car with the same bolts, then the number plate fits the frame, and clips securely to it. That way, no holes to drill in the number plate, nice and neat. Looks very pro.
Mac.
Agreed, I just don't like frames round them :(

Just taken this off the RAC website

On or after 1 January 2021
You must display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:
  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier
Guess they might know ?
You are correct about the sticker but not about EU number plates:

I shall be keeping my EU plates for when we shortly rejoin, once the people who voted leave discover the extent of the fraud committed against them!

RAB

Back