Resurection - how to turn engine without starting

kml666

A2OC Donor
My A2 was SORN end of July 2019 - it was wheel bearing and other suspension problems. I keept engine running twice in month for 10-15min ... until battery decide to die 8 months a go. I'm going to collect new battery today and connect to car. I was told by mechanic to disconnect something so car can spin engine but not start - this will allow oil to get back wherever needed. I was thinking about fuse ,but he mention something else ... any advice wold be great - what can I disconnect ?

? I'm sorry - its Diesel from 2000 1.4TTDi
For petrol I would just disconnect spark plugs cables.

There is a round connector at the passenger end of the cylinder head. This is the loom to the injectors. You can disconnect this by twisting it
Alternative is to disconnect both plugs on the ecu. It lives under the passengers feet and is aluminium in colour. Connectors have a loop at each end to pull and unmade the connectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There may be a ECU fuse you can disconnect but I wouldn’t know which one for certain. I would be inclined to disconnect the injector harness at the large round connector on the flywheel end of the cylinder head. However, this will probably store a fault code so you may get the engine lamp lit afterwards and then need VCDS to reset it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it has been running 8 months ago I wouldn’t worry about just starting it off the key to be honest, just turn the key quickly to start so it doesn’t give the glow plugs time to warm up.

Thank you, will give it a go when it stop raining.
I replaced ECU 5yrs a go ... but will try "easy access solution" first, as adviced.

I wouldn't worry either, I've started cars that haven't run in 20 years using the original oil and they were fine. Obviously I wouldn't recommend it after that length of time because piston rings could be stuck etc but I can't see 8 months being a problem, the oil will pump up very quickly.

You could try a few bursts of the starter and switching off immediately if the engine fires up. It will just need a a few seconds of cranking to get oil to the turbo bearings.

Cheers Spike

You could try a few bursts of the starter and switching off immediately if the engine fires up. It will just need a a few seconds of cranking to get oil to the turbo bearings.

Cheers Spike
Thats what I have done ... did it 10 times, wait minute and start engine - all looks ok. Thank you all for advice.

Back