Retrofit False Booth - Worth it?

gangitano85

A2OC Donor
Belgium
Good morning all,

For a while, I have been contemplating retrofitting the false boot in my A2. I like the boot as it is, but I am thinking about buying a 15-inch full-size spare wheel for longer trips. I just don't like the idea of the wheel just taking up all that space in the boot and making it difficult to use the boot. As the parts are becoming harder to get by at decent prices, I feel like it's now or never to make the decision. I don't want to spend a fortune on it, but I don't mind investing my time in this DIY. I have read that some on this forum describe it as an easy and worthwhile job, whereas others see it as tricky and risky.

So any thoughts are welcome

Have a lovely day :)

My Tdi had a false floor when bought and I retrofitted one to my FSI. Useful to hide a spare, together with my hi viz jacket and other rarely used essentials!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Useful to hide a spare, together with my hi viz jacket and other rarely used essentials!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

That's my reasoning behind it, but I am afraid of take the trim off and not being able to put it back, or making a mess of installing the false boot floor.

As my commute is mainly motorway I never wanted to rely on the ole' foam repair to keep me moving so fitting a space saver was always a high priority. It was therefore an easy decision to fit the false floor to tidy things up.
It does take space but you can work around that and the boot still offers a decent amount of luggage area. I had no issues fitting the parts due to the info and tips provided by other members of the club.

That's my reasoning behind it, but I am afraid of take the trim off and not being able to put it back, or making a mess of installing the false boot floor.
Morning,

This link to the How To area is useful. The link isn’t a walk through guide but will give you an idea of what’s involved. I used it in the past and have done 4 false floor retrofits now. It’s is fairly easy but at the same time it’s fairly easy to damage one or two of the plastic clips.

I also agree that it is a very useful retrofit. It hides the spare wheel along with other items I like to carry but have them out of sight. Also when I need to collect anything big (not too heavy though) I can just lay the rear seats forward which gives a nice even surface to put ‘stuff’ onto.

The wife’s A2 doesn’t have the False Floor (yet) and she is always asking about having one fitted.

Edit: This link should also help.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
I have one that’s going spare and will be for sale in soul black, but it’s locked away at my parents’ place 150 miles from me! Are you in a hurry?

From memory it owes me £55 and one or two of the plastic clips for the panels would need to be substituted with the ones on your car. It could be available for collection in either Maidenhead / Slough or Honiton - or I could box up for courier/ Shiply.

Does anyone have a photo of the complete kit they could post for reference? Just to check all the parts are in when I come to do it - thanks!

I have one that’s going spare and will be for sale in soul black, but it’s locked away at my parents’ place 150 miles from me! Are you in a hurry?

From memory it owes me £55 and one or two of the plastic clips for the panels would need to be substituted with the ones on your car. It could be available for collection in either Maidenhead / Slough or Honiton - or I could box up for courier/ Shiply.

Does anyone have a photo of the complete kit they could post for reference? Just to check all the parts are in when I come to do it - thanks!

I am in no rush, looking to have it done by May / June. Soul black would be perfect for my car. Would it just be the foldable floor, or does it included everything I need. Just so I no what else I have to source :)

I am in no rush, looking to have it done by May / June. Soul black would be perfect for my car. Would it just be the foldable floor, or does it included everything I need. Just so I no what else I have to source :)
It supposedly contains a complete kit - 55 quid just for a used boot floor would be chancing it eh? ?

That said, I bought it when I thought my first dip into A2 ownership was going to be with a car that didn’t have it - this kit came up, I bought it proactively then bought Audrey, which has a false floor kit already. Therefore I haven’t opened it up to check it’s all there, hence my request for a photo of a complete kit to perform an audit before I send it out once I get up to my parents’.

I’ll consider it yours pending confirmation and payment.

@PlasticMac, noted on 2nd dibs.

Here's a photo of a full false floor kit I sold some time ago. Sides, folding floor, rails, covers and the bag contains 14 bolts from memory.

Photo1047.jpg

This had wetted my appitite, so, I'll start looking for a kit for my FSI Sport. The boot trim looks black, or dark grey to me, does the false floor kit come in colour variants? If so, anyone know what I should be looking for please?
Mac.

One thing to note if retrofitting the false floor , not all cars have the captive rivnuts fitted into the metalwork where the rail support brackets fit. Some of the locations are covered with noise insulation.

does the false floor kit come in colour variants?
The A2 was, over its entire production run, offered with 4 different interior colours. By the time the FSI was available, only three were available. Although Audi give them funky names, they are black (Soul), pale grey (Platinum) and cream (Twist).

Cheers,

Tom

Back