Reverse Camera with RNSE 192

A2on18's

I've currently got the roof lining out of my keeper and it seems a good opportunity to add a reverse camera.

I've had confirmation I have the RFSL pin that enables this however I understand I need a multimedia interface as well as the camera? This is where my knowledge and experience runs out

Are there any experts here that can help please?!

I've currently got the roof lining out of my keeper and it seems a good opportunity to add a reverse camera.

I've had confirmation I have the RFSL pin that enables this however I understand I need a multimedia interface as well as the camera? This is where my knowledge and experience runs out

Are there any experts here that can help please?!
Afternoon Steve,

There is plenty of information available online for this retrofit. All RNS-E 192 units will have the RFSL and V-Signsal pins unlike the RNS-E PU 193 beyond revision B.

I know it can be quiet expensive for the RNS-E PU (Mk2) but the RSN-E (Mk1) is more than achievable for not a lot of money. I've not got any first hand experience as I'm quite happy with just the Rear PDC right now. Quite sure I can help you through this process though as its really just adding a peripheral onto your RNS-E and getting the coding correct, as long as you're confident with working on looms and soldering them then it should be quite straight forward.

Off the top of my head there is a requirement to have a Multimedia Adapter that plugs into the 32 pin socket on the upper rear of the RNS-E, same as the AMI. If you already have an AMI then you'll need to solder the 2 looms together to utilise the same connector. This is quite simple but ensure you have the pinout to hand and take your time. Plugged into the Multimedia Adapter is the Rear View camera Interface which is a separate purchase. A quality aftermarket brand to use for this type of application is Kufatec. I'm sure you've seen their items available on the the usual online shopping websites, not cheap but choosing something easier on the pocket will just annoy you as the switch over to the video fed when selecting reverse will be glitchy. If its worth doing then do out right.

Watch this item on eBay as it might turn out to be a bargain. Might be worth having a chat with the seller as these items were purchased for the same type of project.

A few links for you to study to understand what items are required:
Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 14.14.45.png

Note, the above image is specific to a different Audi model but you should get the idea of whats involved.

Link 1 This shows the items required, its 2009 thread but still extant although prices will of course have changed by now.

Link 2 This explains the coding along with siting the camera itself, again this is not specific to the A2.

Link 3 This is from a post on here some years ago.

Let me know if you require any further links or tips as many Audi owners have managed this in the past. I'm pretty certain that Tom @timmus has also done this before in Steve Birchall's 'The Project' but that could also have been HazzyDayz.

Kind regards,

Tom

Morning Steve,

Quite interested in how you get on with this as I’m quite sure that the RNS-E PU I have in OEM (and plan to install into 250) should be able to operate a rear view camera the very same way as it’s older sibling the RNS-E, both are the earlier revision and have the RFSL and V-Signal pins along with running the latest custom firmware.

I understand it that the PU Mk2 units weren’t as easy to complete this type of installation in our vehicles due to the the PU Mk2 being updated internally to suit the vehicles and the updated messaging service they were factory fitted into. The Mk1 units (and the A2) use Infotainment CAN to pass reverse type messages where in the next generation of vehicles that were fitted with the PU Mk2 units transmitted these messages over the Drivetrain CAN and handed to the infotainment CAN via a Gateway which the A2 doesn’t have, but it’s nothing that isn’t solvable with the Arduino that I have for both of my fleet, I actually think the Sketches already loaded on them will work for the camera but if not I know a very helpful guy who would be willing to assist adjusting it for use with the rear view camera.

I think the biggest hurdle is to find the very best quality camera that fits as OEM looking as possible. I like the cameras integrated within the number plate lights but not sure of any that fit the A2 and don't know the quality.

Really interested in giving this a go at some point since @bartoo123 mentioned it on the OEM thread last year.

Happy to help as much as possible with this so I can understand it better for when I feel it necessary to fit into 250. I’m happy with just the beeping PDC system in OEM for now though.

Kind regards,

Tom

Any advice on how to get spare cables, for this sort of application, through the convoluted conduits from roof to bootlid would be appreciated. I tried on Jelly and gave up!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Afternoon Steve,

Just been doing some further investigation into this subject and it seems that any RNS-E with the RFSL can easily enable the rear parking camera.

This should also go for the RNS-E PU beyond revision B which is running an Arduino with the correct Sketch (available from rnse.pcbbc) as it ‘pretends’ to be the missing hardware that Audi removed.

I have also had a conversation with the seller of the eBay item I linked above and he states that all you need is what he has for sale along with a camera. I’m still no expert on this actual retrofit but might have a go over the festive period.

The question/point Bob @Jellybean raises above is probably the most difficult thing to do but it must be achievable.

Guess OEMs next mini upgrade will be a reverse camera which will hopefully give this kind of display:
8C46A32C-1644-43AC-A44E-E0BC44316D0E.jpeg

Note the ghost image on the right hand side, this should be the current OPS display that’s already present in OEM.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back