Ridiculous 2021 Audi styling

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
1EB8DBAE-9CF4-4CB3-B5E9-A016E28B57F0.jpeg

Just saw photos of the 2021 Audi Q2. The size of that grille is ridiculous. The marketing department have clearly taken over the engineering department many years ago.

“Oh hello, I’d like to buy an Audi badge please with 4 wheels attached”.

My Audi insider informs me this is a safety feature that is about to become law in most European countries. It is all down to manufacturers maintaining the "family look" across the whole of the range. The issue is hybrids and electric vehicles are pretty much silent, so the styling is actually meant to instil fear into pedestrians to stop them walking into the path of the cars. Apparently it was that or install some type of false engine noise....
Yep I also laughed when she told me this . Even checked the calendar to see if it was 1st April. Could still be a wind up or even them trying to save FACE. ?

My Audi insider informs me this is a safety feature that is about to become law in most European countries. It is all down to manufacturers maintaining the "family look" across the whole of the range. The issue is hybrids and electric vehicles are pretty much silent, so the styling is actually meant to instil fear into pedestrians to stop them walking into the path of the cars. Apparently it was that or install some type of false engine noise....
Yep I also laughed when she told me this . Even checked the calendar to see if it was 1st April. Could still be a wind up or even them trying to save FACE. ?
Someone is pulling your wotsit!! Problem is electric vehicles are quiet and the youth walking around with headphones in staring at their mobile phone won't see or hear anything so the grill won't count for much. It's terrible styling by audi or bmw, seems to be the in thing with manufacturers at the moment...sadly.

Parked next to my mates new etron.this morning.

Attachments

• PXL_20210819_060210065_compress67.jpg
    PXL_20210819_060210065_compress67.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 213
All new electric cars now have to have a noise generator.

RAB

Agreed legislation that came into affect from July means that all new electric vehicles need to make a noise at speeds at up to around 20-25mph(I cant remember exact number).

Tesla being Tesla have taken this too far - the noise generation speaker can be programmed to make noise from samples such as big V8s, goats or whatever you can get your hands on...

Last edited:
Ah so that's what it was, I thought someone was driving a herd of cattle past the house the other day. ?

The appearance of the latest Audis seems to me to be a sad travesty of the tasteful Audis of the past, and by that I mean the century that is past. I hate the transformer toy styling gimmicks of weirdly shaped false air scoops, and stupid flashing Xmas tree lights for indicators. Worst of all however is the participation the lamentable trend to make all cars ludicrously wide, and still growing wider.

Such a shame! Weirdly the shape of the first Q2 was actually growing in me, I thought as was going to need therapy but this monstrosity has cured me!

I think Audi lost the front end styling plot over15 years ago then the introduced third generation A4.
Not been near an Audi showroom since.

Style is always contentious and very much a "marmite" thing. Personally having owned Audis continuosly for the last 25 years and that includes every generation of A4 have never found the styling offensive, actually very conservative. Unfortunately style can be dictated by legislation, what competitors are producing and cost. Another important factor is where their main target customer base is and what is popular there.

Back