RIP Murray Walker

Oh dear, I must admit I hadn't realised how year wealthy he had become. Always thought he came across rather well.

'Surely nothing can stop him now' (car slides into view on roof). The famous Murray Walker curse.

I've got his autobiography somewhere which was very good. Seem to remember he started out with his Dad recording motorcycle races and putting them out on vinyl.

And an advertiser before starting to commentate on bike racing for bbc
He moved on to f1 in the early 70’s
He IS the only voice of motorsport for me
Will be sadly missed
He was always enthusiastic and some of the murryies where just priceless
My fave being that car is absolutely unique apart from the on behind it
And him interviewing Nigel Mansell after a crash and poking his finger in the massive lump that was an Mansell forehead

RIP Murray - keep commentating in heaven my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murray was still commentating when I picked up F1 in the late 90's, and has never been bettered since he retired a few years later. RIP - Stirling Moss has been waiting for you.

Some fantastic Murray Walkerisms ? sorry for the length of the post but they tickled me.

"Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?"

"I can't imagine what kind of problem Senna has. I imagine it must be some sort of grip problem"

"He is shedding buckets of adrenalin in that car"

"So Bernie [Ecclestone], in the seventeen years since you bought McLaren, which of your many achievements do you think was the most memorable ?" Bernie Answers, "Well I don't remember buying McLaren." [Bernie Ecclestone used to own the Brabham team].

Murray: "What's that? There's a BODY on the track!!!"
James: "Um, I think that that is a piece of BODY-WORK, from someone's car."

"I don't want to tempt fate but Damon Hill is now only half a lap from his first Grand Prix win and..and HE'S SLOWING DOWN, DAMON HILL IS SLOWING DOWN..HE'S..HE'S STOPPED."

Murray: And look at the flames coming from the back of Berger's McLaren
James: Actually, Murray, they're not flames, it's the safety light.

"...and there's no damage to the car.....except to the car itself."

"This is an interesting circuit because it has inclines, and not just up, but down as well."

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

"Tambay's hopes , which were nil before, are absolutely zero now."

"The Italian GP at Monaco..."

"...the enthusiastic enthusiasts..."

"As you can see, visually, with your eyes..."

"Andrea de Cesaris...the man who has won more Grands Prix than anyone else without actually winning one of them."

"And we have had 5 races so far this year, Brazil, Argentina, Imola, Schumacher and Monaco!"

"And Damon Hill is coming into the pit lane, yes it's Damon Hill coming into the Williams pit, and Damon Hill in the pit, no it's Michael Schumacher! "

"Mansell is slowing it down, taking it easy. Oh no he isn't! It's a lap record."

"Into lap 53, the penultimate last lap but one"

"And that just shows you how important the car is in Formula One Racing."

"A battle is developing between them. I say developing, because it's not yet on."

"A sad ending, albeit a happy one."

"And Michael Schumacher is actually in a very good position. He is in last place."

"And now, excuse me while I interrupt myself."

"Are they on a one-stopper? Are they on a two? And when I say they, who do I mean? Well, I don't know. It could be anybody."

"Either the car is stationary, or it's on the move."

"Even in five years time, he will still be four years younger than Damon Hill."

"Fantastic! There are four different cars filling the first four places."

"He can't decide whether to leave his visor half open or half closed. "

"I should imagine that the conditions in the cockpit are totally unimaginable."

"I've no idea what Eddie Irvine's orders are, but he's following them superlatively well."

"In twelfth and thirteenth, the two Jaguars of Eddie Irvine."

"It looks as though this year there will be seventeen Grands Prix for the World Championship, compared with the traditional seventeen."

"Prost can see Mansell in his earphones."

"So this being Michael Schumacher's 10th race in his 151st year in F1."

"That's history. I say history because it happened in the past."

"The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical."

"There are seven winners of the Monaco Grand Prix on the starting line today, and four of them are Michael Schumacher."

"There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire."

"This will be Williams' first win since the last time a Williams won."

"Well, now we have exactly the same situation as at the beginning of the race, only exactly opposite."

What a great British Icon, Formula 1 has never been the same. He said what he was thinking without thinking about what he was saying.
Made you feel is if your were right there with the race. Even his partnership with James Hunt was worth watching on its own.
His voice will be sadly missed I'm sure.
Formula 1 isn't the same now and rarely watch it.

My wife bought me his autobiography a few years ago, And I started to read it be never finished it, So now maybe's the time.

What a great British Icon, Formula 1 has never been the same. He said what he was thinking without thinking about what he was saying.
Made you feel is if your were right there with the race. Even his partnership with James Hunt was worth watching on its own.
His voice will be sadly missed I'm sure.
Formula 1 isn't the same now and rarely watch it.

My sentiments exactly, used to watch every race religiously.

Part of the draw for me at least was Murray, and his Murrayisms, once he’d left & stopped commentating F1 faded away...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear, I must admit I hadn't realised how year wealthy he had become. Always thought he came across rather well.

'Surely nothing can stop him now' (car slides into view on roof). The famous Murray Walker curse.

I've got his autobiography somewhere which was very good. Seem to remember he started out with his Dad recording motorcycle races and putting them out on vinyl.
Vinyl? Probably shellac!
Mac.

Back