RNS-e Replacement

DJ 190

A2OC Donor
I was impressed with what a modern, double-DIN head unit had to offer over the (rather old) RNS-e. The unit that I chose as a replacement was a Pioneer AVIC F960DAB. The specification of this item is quite impressive ... Touch screen/FM/DAB/Sat-Nav/DVD playback/CD playback/Full Iphone connection with "mirroring" and rear-camera connection. In addition, I've been able to connect my DVBT module. I had the installation done at "Impulse", Watford. They were able to install perfectly into a car with Bose fitted. In addition, I've not lost the functionality of the MFSW! So the only minor loss is not having the navigation directions appearing in the small DIS window. Another strange thing about these Pioneer units is that there is no way to turn them off when they're not needed and the car is in use! Honest! So I incorporated a small extra switch to allow this to be done independently. The Iphone is stored in a special compartment in the top of the dash and is easily taken out and located in a cradle secured to the windscreen. Here's some photo's

A2 Pioneer 002 (Small).JPG
A2 Pioneer 016 (Small).JPG
A2 Pioneer 010 (Small).JPG
A2 Pioneer 003 (Small).JPG
A2 Pioneer 008 (Small).JPG
A2 Pioneer 012 (Small).JPG
A2 Pioneer 019 (Small).JPG

I'm pleased with the end result ... It just brings the car right up to date and is SO easy to use!

David

Great write up, which model is it exactly?
It's a Pioneer AVIC F970DAB. They seemed to change their model line-up almost every year! "AVIC" says it's Sat-Nav and "DAB" is obvious. There's always something on Ebay. This was only £125 and was originally well over £1000!

David

Only compatible with Apple CarPlay
It's a Pioneer AVIC F970DAB. Well that's O.K., then ... I've got an Apple Iphone 6S. However, having seen what those Guys at "Impulse" can do ( getting it to work with Bose and the MFSW }, I'm sure that SOMEONE could get it to connect with an Android device? Oh, I've also lost the use of my 6-CD changer in the boot! Any ideas as to how that could still be used with the Pioneer?

David

Last edited:
Well that's O.K., then ... I've got an Apple Iphone 6S. However, having seen what those Guys at "Impulse" can do ( getting it to work with Bose and the MFSW }, I'm sure that SOMEONE could get it to connect with an Android device? Oh, I've also lost the use of my 6-CD changer in the boot! Any ideas as to how that could still be used with the Pioneer?

David

Unlikely I'm afraid David, the software won't be on the device.

Also, you probably will find that the unit won't control an Audi 6-disc changer, might have to change that for a Pioneer one (or compatible).

Hi, I only bought the car just over a week ago, do all those top boxes open? I haven’t really looked at it closely and assumed it was a solid piece with a groove?

Unfortunately all are a sealed unit which house facia vents. DJ 190 carried out some extensive work to turn it into what it is now. Im sure he will be along shortly to explain better then me

There is not a lot of room under the fake opening panel about 1.5” from memory then you hit the duct to the centre air vents
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back