Roof bar mounting points

LordTJC

I have a long load I need to carry on my roof bars. I know there are marks in the tops of the door apertures showing where to mount the roof bar feet. I was wondering if it’s ok to place the bars further apart? Is there a structural reason to have them where the marks are? Fortunately I have Thule bars so I can adjust the width to suit different positions.

Thanks

Doing so would very much be at your own risk. Audi worked out all the load values using their mounting locations. I can not recommend doing so, nor use one if you have OSS / BSS.

Doing so would very much be at your own risk. Audi worked out all the load values using their mounting locations. I can not recommend doing so, nor use one if you have OSS / BSS.
Thanks. I don’t have OSS. The weight will be well under the limit, just very long.

So why not just mount the roof bars as Audi intended and have a couple of mates to drive in front and behind you? What is it you are going to carry?

Here is the Gov website on overhanging loads....

So why not just mount the roof bars as Audi intended and have a couple of mates to drive in front and behind you? What is it you are going to carry?

Here is the Gov website on overhanging loads....

I’ll first see how it goes in the correct mounting spots. There will be no overhangs. It’s long bits of aluminium rail. I’m thinking flexing may be an issue and having the bars further apart would help. I’ve got some wood to support the load to stop it flexing so it should be fine though. My backup plan is to have the bars further apart if it’s an option.

Back