Saggy headlinings

simufly

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Whilst Tom is redoing mine ATM, I was wondering if it was a common occurrence in the A2. It is very common in similar aged BMWs my e30 and e34 both suffered badly.
It is a fault of the material, cleaning (or not in most cases) damp, excess heat, or what?

It seems to be age related the glue and the foam it sticks to breaks down. I also think that damp accelerates the break down process. Which would explain why it’s mainly oss A2 that suffer from this as if the drains get blocked at the back the head lining gets wet

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have yet to see an OSS car without a saggy head lining, not so sure about non OSS cars though.

I must have caught my lads just in time, there was a water stain at the rear passenger side and after changing the OSS and doing a leak test water was dripping in, it was the drain channel blocked on that side

Yes mine is OSS. Although my previous 51 plate was also OSS it’s headlining was very good!
Both BMWs were non OSS

OSS, 71K miles and no saggy head lining. I keep the drains clean and during hot days in summer I have a half-car cover on to protect the OSS and lining from excessive heat which could deteriorate the glue.

I have owned around A2s and not yet had one with a saggy headlining. I have seen one though and that was on a non-OSS car.
The OSS cars are more likely to suffer due to blocked drain holes etc but non-OSS cars are not immune.

One option is to remove it and have it recovered (after checking for leaks first of course.
Steve B

I have owned around A2s and not yet had one with a saggy headlining. I have seen one though and that was on a non-OSS car.
The OSS cars are more likely to suffer due to blocked drain holes etc but non-OSS cars are not immune.

One option is to remove it and have it recovered (after checking for leaks first of course.
Steve B
Morning all,

Sadly my roof liner is not well :(
Whats the best approach to resolve please.

Attachments

• IMG_2657.jpeg
    IMG_2657.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 79
Mine is the same as iceman's, I'm on an 02 plate, on mine, if you look near the grab handles it is also coming un-stuck there too, have a good check along to see if it's in more than one location.

Last weekend I had a refurbed headliner fitted by Kleynie. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Morning all,

Sadly my roof liner is not well :(
Whats the best approach to resolve please.
It depends on the level of finish you’re after. @Kleynie and clan come highly recommended by many and the quality of their work appears exceptional. Others have had a go DIY with good results. That means removing the headlining from the car, stripping all the fabric, cleaning the biscuit it is glued too, sourcing replacement fabric, re covering and then re attaching.

If you want a quick temporary fix though, a strong trim adhesive can turn your picture into this

AE603D80-C36B-4272-9049-69D85BE8B1F6.jpeg

It isn’t pretty, but it’s better than it being impossible to see out of the back window and my view was it would do until I can get it done properly. That was 6 months ago!

Back