Sainsbury 10p off litre of fuel

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Hi people
I saw this morning that Sainsbury's are doing a discount of 10p/litre of fuels from today (29th June) until this Sunday (3rd July) if you spend £60 in store - the voucher you get from that spend will actually be valid for 2 weeks from the date of the voucher (if that makes sense). On a full tank fill, that's about £3-4 off a whole tank pumped, which can't be bad.

No connection to Sainsbury, but thought it might help anyone looking to save a few pennies on their next tank up.

Meanwhile has anyone noticed fuel prices have dropped by about 2p/litre this week?

I saw that the prices had dropped as well, I just thought my eyes were playing tricks on me lol.

Hi Dan,

Thats great, thanks for pointing that out, I do all my shopping and filling up at sainos so will have to get involved!

Cheers

John

Well each to their own. If you have a petrol car, actually the best petrol out there is Tesco 99...

I just brimmed my tank with 40.5 litres of Sainsbury's diesel at 126.9. I used the pressure release valve to get as much in at that price as I possibly could!

Cheers for the info guys, split my shopping and got two vouchers, I`ll give one to the Mrs for her birthday on Sunday.........................;)

Why do people spend thousands of pounds on an Audi new or used then put cheap supermarket fuel in their car?

Why do people spend thousands of pounds on an Audi new or used then put cheap supermarket fuel in their car?

Because its the same as any other fuel and costs less. . .

Supermarkets don't make fuel they buy it from the big players the same as everyone else :)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Tesco can better that one. I read in the paper that they are offering 5p off for a £50 spend then a further 5p off if you buy a 4 pack of princes tuna and a further 5p off if you buy a 30 pack of coke.

I personally use a brand fuel, I find the car runs better but that's personal choice.

Cheers

David

Supermarkets don't make fuel they buy it from the big players the same as everyone else :)

99% correct - they do indeed get it from exactly the same refinery as all the other local garages (whatever brand). But the refinery mixes in specific additives based on the brand that they are selling to.

However I don't find that supermarket fuel is necessarily the cheapest (without special offers), for example Shell seems to be a tiny bit cheaper here.

Because its the same as any other fuel and costs less. . .

All fuels are not the same, they all have to meet a minum standard granted. But the big players develop cleaning additives ect. They are not going to surply this to other retailers after spending lots of money on R & D. They will want to stay one step ahead of the compertion.

I read this on honest John http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/best-fuels/

Knowing how supermarkets work they will buy the cheapest they can get away with.

Cheers

David

Most of what is written in those kinds of discussions is hear say and conjecture, if you search you can find websites saying the complete opposite to the above to balance that view out. . . Who is right? No idea as i am not a petrochemical engineer :)

Fuel is fuel. . . I agree the additives are different but each provider has their own secret recipe and the supermarkets with but theirs from Exxon, bp, shell or whoever is offering the best bulk deal

So long as it meets the standard requirements what does it matter where it comes from?

Most of what you read is a result of scaremonger marketing by the big players

10p off just goes to show the excessive profit margins the supermarkets are running. They aren't going to give it away for nothing

Loss leader. . . They will take a hit on the fuel but make it up on the grocery shopping in store

Of course supermarkets can take the hit but normal forecasts don't have this luxury

Yeah, don't forget Herr Diesel was originally trying to design an internal combustion engine that would run on liquefied coal dust and came up with the diesel engine, although it was demonstrated to the World running on something like peanut oil or palm oil I think!

Most of what is written in those kinds of discussions is hear say and conjecture, if you search you can find websites saying the complete opposite to the above to balance that view out. . . Who is right? No idea as i am not a petrochemical engineer :)

Fuel is fuel. . . I agree the additives are different but each provider has their own secret recipe and the supermarkets with but theirs from Exxon, bp, shell or whoever is offering the best bulk deal

So long as it meets the standard requirements what does it matter where it comes from?

Most of what you read is a result of scaremonger marketing by the big players

but you can get the same Cola multipack £2 cheaper in Asda and the same brand Tuna £2 cheaper elsewhere too. Not so much of a deal now?

Back