Sat nav location

WayneoA2

Ok guys I'm looking to mount the sat nav but i detest anything stuck to the windscreen apart from a dash cam ... i haven't even sat in an A2 yet but like to have it easily accessible with out having to stretch... what and where are my options to mount it on the dash ..? Any pictures would be a great help .. Fank you !

https://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F8J168/
I've only just replaced my cup holder so not actually popped this in the A2 yet, but I used it in my A4 (B7).

Other option I grabbed from amazon was a CD slot mount for the TT and it's aux port. Obv. depends on having a cd stereo.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/cd-phone-mount/s?k=cd+phone+mount

There's also a Pioneer after market stereo that has a phone mount built into it at the much more expensive but possibly more flexible end.
https://www.halfords.com/technology...neer-sph-10bt-smartphone-receiver-737373.html

https://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F8J168/
I've only just replaced my cup holder so not actually popped this in the A2 yet, but I used it in my A4 (B7).

Other option I grabbed from amazon was a CD slot mount for the TT and it's aux port. Obv. depends on having a cd stereo.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/cd-phone-mount/s?k=cd+phone+mount

There's also a Pioneer after market stereo that has a phone mount built into it at the much more expensive but possibly more flexible end.
https://www.halfords.com/technology...neer-sph-10bt-smartphone-receiver-737373.html
I like everything to be in direct line of sight.. so might be thinking of the suction cup to the left hand of the speedo binnacle housing . And down the road would be a double din conversion I'm hoping

Hi.
I faced this dilemma 2 years ago as used to regularly drive from south wales to plymouth to visit my daughter in uni. Having used a garmin sat nav stuck to the windscreen although very good, i found it too far away to adjust/set up on the go(i know you shouldn't but it kept falling off) Coupled with a dodgy volume issue on my concert 2 cd player i decided to go double din upgrade. Was original looking at the Blaupunkt double din touch screen units very nice but expensive. When i installed a single din blaupunkt to my old A2 it had the speed gala function. On further digging it would mean loosing the stereo info on my dis screen. So when a used but good condition rnse mk1 unit became available at a very reasonable price i jumped at it. Yes they are an old stereo but give good voice commands and with coding you can use the satnav directions via the DIS screen and set the stereo on music or radio function. Only downside is no DAB. Currently looking to fit a genuine audi Bluetooth unit to the rnse. To connect my phone, so that might sort the dab issue if i can play audio via it?
Best of luck
Steve

Hi.
I faced this dilemma 2 years ago as used to regularly drive from south wales to plymouth to visit my daughter in uni. Having used a garmin sat nav stuck to the windscreen although very good, i found it too far away to adjust/set up on the go. Coupled with a dodgy volume issue on my concert 2 cd player i decided to go double din upgrade. Was original looking at the Blaupunkt double din touch screen units very nice but expensive. When i installed a single din blaupunkt to my old A2 it had the speed gala function. On further digging it would mean loosing the stereo info on my dis screen. So when a used but good condition rnse mk1 unit became available at a very reasonable price i jumped at it. Yes they are an old stereo but give good voice commands and with coding you can use the satnav directions via the DIS screen and set the stereo on music or radio function. Only downside is no DAB. Currently looking to fit a genuine audi Bluetooth unit to the rnse. To connect my phone, so that might sort the dab issue if i can play audio via it?
Best of luck
Steve
Cheers for that .. are the double din conversions hard to come by and pricey ?. I do prefer an aftermarket android head unit so I can run torque pro for obd2 to monitor engine specs etc... regards the navigation part of my post I want something that will most likely be mounted to the left hand side of the speedo binnacle in direct eye sight ... I like to keep my eyes on the road and the head unit is far too low for my liking

Sounds to me you want a head up display unit. Keep the Audi stereo and forget about aftermarket. Are you using a dedicated sat nav or phone app?

Hi.
I did the double din upgrade myself on my A2. As the dash needs to be removed to fit the double din cage or replacement dash i would only recommend this if you have a nice size garage. It has been done before me, and there is a very good 'how to' guide on here. I too like keeping a look out that is why i went oem(rnse) as the dis visual instrctions and voice commands just makes the sat nav far more easier and friendlier to use. But as you said at the expense of more technical upgrades (dab, android, touch screen etc). The double din dashes regularly pop up for sale just make sure the cage is supplied with it.
Steve

Sounds to me you want a head up display unit. Keep the Audi stereo and forget about aftermarket. Are you using a dedicated sat nav or phone app?
Would be using dedicated sat nav unit .. . . Phone would be in the center console . I dont like a crowded dash but monitoring the engine is a important thing for me .. any idea where the obd2 port is located ?

OBD2 port is just above the pedals, bottom right corner under the dash. I'm sure you can get dedicated plug-in monitors or maybe a bluetooth dongle that will send the engine info to your phone.

OBD2 port is just above the pedals, bottom right corner under the dash. I'm sure you can get dedicated plug-in monitors or maybe a bluetooth dongle that will send the engine info to your phone.
Yep that's the plan I had it in my old subaru I left back in oz .. engine info is important to me ... spot issues before they become a problem

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201231-203352_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201231-203352_Gallery.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 142
Whilst the RNSE installations look very good I always felt that the sat nav display was far too low down and meant taking the eyes off the road for too long. Maybe those that have it can comment.

Meanwhile I have my Garmin sat nav in a cradle that goes in the central air vent. Not very elegant but I find it at the right height and easy to tap if need be. Also has a BT link to my phone though I rarely use it, preferring calls to go to voice mail when I'm driving.

Whilst the RNSE installations look very good I always felt that the sat nav display was far too low down and meant taking the eyes off the road for too long. Maybe those that have it can comment.

Meanwhile I have my Garmin sat nav in a cradle that goes in the central air vent. Not very elegant but I find it at the right height and easy to tap if need be. Also has a BT link to my phone though I rarely use it, preferring calls to go to voice mail when I'm driving.
Any chance you post up a pic of how you have yours mounted please mate .. and from the drivers seat a picture of the pod that houses the speedo binnacle .? I am thinking of mounting mine to the left hand side of the pod so it will be central in the car and at a proper height that's quickly visible

Hi,

Another option for monitoring live engine data apparently (I do not have it) is to upgrade to colour DIS but not cheap. Search and you will find a fair bit info on here, the forum search is poor using google is normally better eg. 'a2oc colour dis'.

You will also find VCDS is popular on here for diagnostics, again full blown kit not cheap but lighter cheaper versions available.

Andy

If you have full DIS, the display can show navigation instructions, including countdown bars to the next turn, this combined with the voice commands mean you very rarely need to look at the RNS-E screen when driving.

The DIS wouldn't give me non of the info I like to know mate . And with torque pro you can monitor boost pressure , oil temps , coolant temps etc in real time data ..

That's the one. If you have a plastic bar visible across it, you have the standard mini-DIS. You need the full-size one with the toggle on the wiper stalk to get nav directions. This can then be used as PX to upgrade to ColourDIS which has OBD functionality. For more information about this, the man to talk to is @timmus, legend of this parish :)

Back