Service Indicator

• Thread starter fairbrother3202
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fairbrother3202

Was wondering if you Audi A2 experts could let me "the novice" know what the script is, with regards to the service indicator. Only picked my car up just over a week ago; Have clocked up a few miles, but the service indicator still registers 6600miles to next service. It has not moved one single mile!
Is this normal?
The car was serviced at Audi back in may, and has only done approx 3 thousand miles since then. Therefore, on 'long servicing', should this not have a nominal reading of around 16,000 miles, which reduces mile by mile whenever driven.
Was going to ring my local Audi dealership, but dont want to appear 'thick'.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Scott,

The A2 is much cleverer than just resetting the indicator after a service and then it just reducing mile by mile. The service indicator is based on time and mileage, your driving style, number cold starts, short trips, motorway trips etc, so if the car's done 3,000 miles since May, the computer has calculated it's approximately 6,000 miles per annum.

If yours is a petrol (from memory) it can go up to 20,000 miles or 2 years on variable servicing. The computer is constantly monitoring and you will notice the 6600 miles to next service will change over the next few weeks. It usually changes in chunks of 300 miles every few weeks.

So to answer your question, this is normal. If you do a lot of miles the figure may even go up from 6600.

Shaf

1. Mar 2001 TDi 75 SE, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, winter pack.
2. Nov 2002 TDi 75 Sport, Silver,black/grey interior,climate.
3. Jun 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, wrong interior (black/black), climate, front fogs.
4. Sep 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, leather/alcantara, front fogs. HID Xenon's.

Even on a variable service the minimum service interval is 2 years. In 6 months your car has done 3000 miles, which to me indicates lots of short journeys. So I think you will have to do several 1000 more miles of longer journeys to see a change in your service indicator. But however you now drive at the very least you'll be back at the Audi garage in 18 months time.

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

As an example my car was serviced in August this year and reset to 9,000 miles before service. I was off sick for two weeks after it was serviced and the wife used the car to go to work - 2 miles each way! After two weeks of short trips and stop start motoring with very little additional miles for trips after work and at weekends it had dropped to 8,000 miles.

Now I am back driving it and the VSI is back up to almost 20,000.

For anyone doing low mileages VSI should not be used - regular services at 10,000 miles is a better option.

After my last message, the service indicator is now showing 5000miles to next service.
It has dropped 1600miles in 24hours.
Not used to this german technology !
Thanks for all your assistance guy's

It may be worth considering that the oil sensor could be faulty and sending dodgy messages to the ECU, causing low service intervals.

It has happened on this forum before to other people so it may be worth asking your Audi dealer the question?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Thanks for that steve, will ring Audi tomorrow and check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back