Should I?

Emma

If I try to remove this how much of a problem could I cause if I make a mess of it?
IMG_20200720_182741.jpg

It just looks like an adhesive for a satnav etc. It shouldn’t crack the dashboard but just take it easy.

If its been on a while note that it may well take the surface of the dash with it or at least leave a mark

I've seen these things almost completely destroy dashboards or badly mark them - personally if its not in the way I'd leave it even if it annoys you.

That rectangle bit of dash doesn't conveniently come out by itself so you could replace it does it?

Almost certain to leave a mark but that part can not be replaced without taking the whole dashboard out.

I had one exactly the same in mine, it was stuck fast, I used a hairdryer on full heat and used a nylon guitar string to gently cut through the adhesive pad and the top of the dash.
There was very little of the adhesive left behind and what was left I simply rubbed away with my finger with a little more heat.

If it must come off then I would go for the hair dryer to soften the glue. It looks like it is a metal magnetic disk on top of a plastic pad and is probably stuck with a self adhesive pad.

I would insert a thin wide wallpaper scraper (e.g. https://www.toolstation.com/stanley-scraper-set/p96313) and between the pad and the dash and just heat up the pad (not the dash). As the pad heats up leverage the blade up until you feel the adhesive start to give but then be patient, don't suddenly yank it up.

Start on a low setting. It that does not work move to a medium and then high setting. Dashes can get quite hot in the sun so they should tolerate a hair dryer but I would avoid heating the dash directly and just heat the pad.

If it is a self adhesive pad then it will probably leave a residue behind. There are proprietary sticky stuff removers and youtube will no doubt have hundreds of videos.

Equally there are many vids on "removed dash board magnetic mount". I saw two vids removing a mount using dental floss e.g.
Maybe that is the best way, but I would still warm the pad up with the hair dryer first.

These are suggestions. Do it at your own risk. Good luck.

I had one exactly the same in mine, it was stuck fast, I used a hairdryer on full heat and used a nylon guitar string to gently cut through the adhesive pad and the top of the dash.
There was very little of the adhesive left behind and what was left I simply rubbed away with my finger with a little more heat.
Was thinking maybe some sort of cheese wire or kit
If it must come off then I would go for the hair dryer to soften the glue. It looks like it is a metal magnetic disk on top of a plastic pad and is probably stuck with a self adhesive pad.

I would insert a thin wide wallpaper scraper (e.g. https://www.toolstation.com/stanley-scraper-set/p96313) and between the pad and the dash and just heat up the pad (not the dash). As the pad heats up leverage the blade up until you feel the adhesive start to give but then be patient, don't suddenly yank it up.

Start on a low setting. It that does not work move to a medium and then high setting. Dashes can get quite hot in the sun so they should tolerate a hair dryer but I would avoid heating the dash directly and just heat the pad.

If it is a self adhesive pad then it will probably leave a residue behind. There are proprietary sticky stuff removers and youtube will no doubt have hundreds of videos.

Equally there are many vids on "removed dash board magnetic mount". I saw two vids removing a mount using dental floss e.g.
Maybe that is the best way, but I would still warm the pad up with the hair dryer first.

These are suggestions. Do it at your own risk. Good luck.
It's just plastic, but might be able to cut through underneath.

Was thinking maybe some sort of cheese wire or kit

It's just plastic, but might be able to cut through underneath.
As @johnyfartbox says, warm it up, gently and slowly, so the heat gets through to the adhesive. Then use nylon guitar string, fishing line, or if desperate, dental floss. Nothing metal, only plastic.
WD-40, or white spirit will soften any adhesive residue. Avoid scraping, to avoid marking.
Mac.

Sounds like you may go for it - good luck :)

I'd definitely recommend not using one of the mats as they can melt and cause even more damage / marking that you just cant get off.

Word of caution: that top part of the dashboard is quite thin and it can get very brittle with age and sun exposure so it can crack just by applying mild pressure.
Heat, a thin nylon wire and patience are your friends! Best of luck.

Just another word of caution, don't put any pressure on the dash top. This isn't the only one I've seen like this.

Back