Slight turbo whistle

craigyb

A2OC Donor
So I've noticed this slight whistling coming from the turbo under moderate to hard acceleration. I was told by a mechanic that the turbo was on its way out, but really its probably just a hose.

So I did the best look I could under the bonnet today, I know the turbo is at the back and I'm probably wasting my time, but should this pipe have oil all over one end.

Attachments

• 20190428_120112.jpg
    20190428_120112.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 262
  • 20190428_120101.jpg
    20190428_120101.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 227
Last edited:
That's the EGR valve. It's common to have oil residue around it at this age, but could be the source of loss of pressure if there's a hole around the clamp.

I've had the car since 2011 and its only in the last 2-3 months that this whistle has become apparent, so I do not think it is normal.

Wonder if the diaphragm has failed in the EGR capsule.
I initially thought this may result in a turbo boost leak but don't now believe that's correct. It would however cause a vacuum leak which may in turn be a possible source of the whistle.
Things to try - disconnect vacuum hose from silver diaphragm housing and blank off the hose and spout. Think you have an AMF engine so no problem with fault codes or warning lamps
If you want to check for split diaphragm put a length of tubing on the hose connection and blow down it. If it's split the air will escape through the vent hole in the EGR body

Cheers Spike

So I've noticed this slight whistling coming from the turbo under moderate to hard acceleration. I was told by a mechanic that the turbo was on its way out, but really its probably just a hose.

So I did the best look I could under the bonnet today, I know the turbo is at the back and I'm probably wasting my time, but should this pipe have oil all over one end.
My wastegate was almost seized at the pivot point with the actuator , I removed the clip & cleaned the brass bearing & shaft but turbo was off with the head etc may be worth a look at the rear from underneath (AMF 75hp)

Back