Small elephant in engine somewhere...

Grumple

Hi All,

Over the last few months it appears that a small pachyderm has taken residence in my engine...

It only makes itself known by letting out a long juddering trumpet when I'm pulling out of a junction or hill starting in 1st gear.

I'm not sure how to find the beast, or how to rid myself of it.

Any suggestions?!

Put the kettle on and make yourself a big brew then read through this thread.

There are several other threads if you search but this one is quite comprehensive.

I've definitely got an elephant rather than a cow... I'll try and record it sometime.

I think it's a belt slipping.

If it happens under load and sounds like a mini elephant trumpeting in a short sharp burst (like the squeak you get when cleaning a window)..I'd suspect clutch thrust bearing

Aye, I was thinking it a clutch issue now after paying a bit more attention to it... Filmed this for assistance:

Is this a DIY job or best to take it somewhere? It's due a service soon anyway, but how much would a new clutch + bearing cost?

Aye, I was thinking it a clutch issue now after paying a bit more attention to it... Filmed this for assistance:

Is this a DIY job or best to take it somewhere? It's due a service soon anyway, but how much would a new clutch + bearing cost?
Ey it’s not them dealer boots squeaking is it ..?. No it does sound like thrust race bearing ..

Clutch release bearing and top hat section it runs on.
fully agree, plus change the mushroom headed bolt that the cross lever pivots on and check carefully the cross lever for wear
Full clutch kit is around £100 forte petrol and around £130 for the TDI75 LUK kit, plus the top hat was about £10, the bolt £6 the cross arm £12 adn the spring clip to retain the bolt 38p
fitting it is a good 2 days work so that is where the cost is

Paul

Back