Smartphone mirroring

Malcyb

One of the things I’d want to do, if/when I get my first A2, is to get a head unit installed that is Apple CarPlay / Android Auto compatible. From the experiences of those that have done this before, does this rule out starting with a car with one of the single DIN head units? What would be the best OEM ICE starting point for undertaking this kind of upgrade?
Also, are the OEM speakers likely to be good enough for me not to factor in a speaker upgrade, or might I be best looking for a Bose to start with? I don’t need earth-shaking sound but I do like my music.

I would agree that it is FAR FAR easier to start with a double din dash
I have a Pioneer DA120 in mine, touch screen, satnav, apple car play, BT etc all works perfectly
I have also utilised a DIS wiper arm stalk (my A2 is none DIS) and use the reset switch for mute and the rocker switch on the end of the stalk to turn the volume up / down.
These are the most used controlls and as such are at finger tips as against reaching for the touch screen
Also voice control of satnav is handy as is post code search
Apple maps are OK'ish Waze is even better and free
I'm using std speakers / tweeters and they are well up to the job
I retro fitted rear speakers so no need to fit the amp as the pioneer head unit drivers all four speakers perfectly

cheers,
Paul

I would agree that it is FAR FAR easier to start with a double din dash
I have a Pioneer DA120 in mine, touch screen, satnav, apple car play, BT etc all works perfectly

Thanks, i thought as much. However I noticed that pioneer also do a range of single DIN units with a “floating” screen, or a screen that ejects out of the body when it’s switched on (e.g. AVH-Z7200DAB). These could surely be installed without too much difficulty, though at the cost of making the cup holders unusable. Not ideal though not the end of the world either. This wouldn’t be the preferred option but might be better than saying no to the perfect car just because it had a single din slot.

If you'd ideally like a double-DIN head unit, where the screen is permanently on show and doesn't fold away and/or block the cup holders and centre air vents, then a car with a double-DIN dash is a definite advantage. Ideally, you'd find an A2 that has a Symphony 2 head unit (often stylised as 'Symphony II'). If you find an A2 that's otherwise ideal, but that has the more common single-DIN dash, I can always retrofit a double-DIN dash before you change the head unit.

The A2 came with 3 speaker packages...
1) The 4-speaker system, which only has speakers in the front doors.
2) The 8-speaker system, which has speakers in all four doors.
3) Bose, which is fully externally amplified, has 8 higher-grade speakers and a subwoofer in the boot.

Getting aftermarket head units to work perfectly in the A2 isn't always straightforward, partly because of CANbus vs. analogue trigger considerations, but also because the rear speakers are always externally amplified. Integrating aftermarket stuff with Bose also adds a few complexities, but nothing that can't be overcome.
Fitting aftermarket speakers to the A2 isn't possible without a fair bit of bodging, because the standard speakers (and thus their mountings) are an odd-ball size.

I've retrofitted Bose to factory standard more times than I've had hot dinners, so this is always possible should an otherwise-ideal A2 appear without Bose. However, it is at the more expensive end of the retrofits available, simply because of the number of parts involved and the amount of time needed to do the retrofit properly.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks again @timmus, extremely useful. It sounds as if I’d be best off with a Bose setup - I gather from what you’re saying that the only other option with be 4 speakers which wouldn’t be so great. It’s good to hear you could retrofit a double DIN dash, but unfortunately you’re at the other end of the country... is there anybody further south with these skills? Just to give me a ballpark idea of costs, how much would you charge for a Bose retrofit, plus dash replacement?

unfortunately you’re at the other end of the country
That's no barrier. I work on A2s all across Europe. My home is in Lancaster, but I travel extensively to fulfil the desires of A2 owners. Hundreds and hundreds of the A2s in this club have been upgraded by me, whether in Aberdeen or Exeter. I am always grateful when an A2 owner is willing to bring their car to my home, though. :)

It sounds as if I’d be best off with a Bose setup - I gather from what you’re saying that the only other option with be 4 speakers which wouldn’t be so great.
The 4-speaker system is absolutely fine for listening to Radio 4, but it doesn't deal with music especially well at all. The 8-speaker setup is a massive improvement. It is fitted to a majority of A2s and is very good considering that it's the factory-standard setup. Of course, the Bose system is the best by far.

Just to give me a ballpark idea of costs, how much would you charge for a Bose retrofit, plus dash replacement?
I'd rather not 'talk shop' on the public forum, but we can switch to private messaging to discuss such matters.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks @timmus ... keeping this post public as it might be in other people’s interest, I think I may have misunderstood your previous post, which seemed to imply that integrating an aftermarket head unit with the “standard” 8 speaker setup wasn't really practicable. Did you really mean that, or does it just present different challenges to the Bose? Knowing this could open up my buying options a bit.

And thank you very much for the offer to come down. I may end up taking you up on that one day.

Thanks @timmus ... keeping this post public as it might be in other people’s interest, I think I may have misunderstood your previous post, which seemed to imply that integrating an aftermarket head unit with the “standard” 8 speaker setup wasn't really practicable. Did you really mean that, or does it just present different challenges to the Bose? Knowing this could open up my buying options a bit.
As long as you understand the signal-flow of the various audio systems, it's all possible. As you say, it just presents different challenges.

And thank you very much for the offer to come down. I may end up taking you up on that one day.
I do 'retrofitting tours' around the UK a few times a year, where I travel between A2 owners to deliver their upgrade requests. The current list of members wanting upgrades in your area of the country is as long as my arm, so a tour to the South East is already on the cards. I'm currently doing house renovation, though, so am thankful to everyone who's waiting patiently.

Cheers,

Tom

Coming at my original question from a different angle. Say I had a car fitted with Bose and RNS-E Mk 2. I‘m led to understand, having learned a bit more over the past few days, that it would be very challenging to replace the RNS-E with an aftermarket HU proving me with Android Auto connectivity, because of the difficulty of integrating it with the Bose, so this led me to look at other options.
I gather from this thread (https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...ing-bluetooth-connectivity.40611/#post-380512) that it shouldn’t be too difficult to enhance it to provide Bluetooth streaming into the head unit. However I wouldn’t be terribly keen on this as a solution; I’d rather have Android Auto projected onto the head unit’s screen, with the phone charging via USB, than having to operate the phone itself as I find using Android Auto on a small phone screen pretty clunky. I wasn’t familiar with Xcarlink products, but I see they also do this... http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=543&cat=4&page=1. Not sure if anyone’s familiar with this, but am I right in thinking this could effectively make the RNS-E able to provide Android Auto on screen? It’s quite a bit more pricey, but probably less than a new head unit. And if this retained the audio quality of the Bose/RNS-E while improving connectivity and usability then I’d be onto a winner.

Last edited:
...am I right in thinking this could effectively make the RNS-E able to provide Android Auto on screen?
Hmmm, yes and no. From a brief investigate, I reckon I could, in principle, integrate this XCarLink product with RNS-E. However, RNS-E doesn't have a touchscreen, meaning you'd have to operate the phone via the XCarLink jog-wheel, voice control or by simply picking up the phone, all of which are perhaps a little more awkward than you'd ideally like. Also, unfortunately, RNS-E doesn't allow video-in-motion, meaning that the composite video input is muted once the car is in motion.

Cheers,

Tom

Hmmm, yes and no. From a brief investigate, I reckon I could, in principle, integrate this XCarLink product with RNS-E. However, RNS-E doesn't have a touchscreen, meaning you'd have to operate the phone via the XCarLink jog-wheel, voice control or by simply picking up the phone, all of which are perhaps a little more awkward than you'd ideally like. Also, unfortunately, RNS-E doesn't allow video-in-motion, meaning that the composite video input is muted once the car is in motion.

Cheers,

Tom

Oh, so that means Android Auto would only be projected to the screen while the car‘s stationary? That would be more a no than a yes then :(. Operating it via the jog wheel would be a passable limitation but that seems to be the least of the problems.

That would be more a no than a yes then
It is possible to hack RNS-E to enable 'video-in-motion', as it's called. However, I don't know whether this is possible with both variants of RNS-E, or whether you're then limited to running an older firmware version, etc. It's not something I've ever investigated because of its questionable legality (though there'd be nothing illegal about your specific use of this function).

Cheers,

Tom

Returning to the original subject of this thread, I’ve found a local installer with an apparently good reputation who, for a fairly modest price, can install a double DIN touchscreen head unit (probably going to go for a Pioneer DA230DAB) and integrate it with the standard factory 8 speaker setup I’ve got. I decided I was perfectly happy with the sound quality from these speakers, but I really do want properly integrated Android auto.
This is a long shot but thought I’d try asking, the one problem the installer was having was trying to identify in his catalogues the right adaptor plate to fit the unit in the dash. Does anybody know exactly what they need?

Morning,

I too was having this decision a few years ago but settled for a Bose setup with XCarLink which provided USB charging whilst connecting my iPhone to the RNS-E via Bluetooth.

I’m not sure I completely understand your question regards ‘adapter plate’, if you mean fascia surround then Im quite certain that Depronman has produced something on his 3D printer which will fill the edges to make your new Pioneer HU blend it.

If it is an adapter to fit the metal cage around your new Pioneer HU then it become a little more involved to overcome. Again Depronman should be able to inform you what he done and what he started of with (single DIN or double DIN).

A2Steve also fitted an aftermarket HU into one of his awesome projects a year or 2 ago, he may also be able to assist with information.

Kind regards,

Tom

I’m not sure I completely understand your question regards ‘adapter plate’, if you mean fascia surround then Im quite certain that Depronman has produced something on his 3D printer which will fill the edges to make your new Pioneer HU blend it.

If it is an adapter to fit the metal cage around your new Pioneer HU then it become a little more involved to overcome. Again Depronman should be able to inform you what he done and what he started of with (single DIN or double DIN).

A2Steve also fitted an aftermarket HU into one of his awesome projects a year or 2 ago, he may also be able to assist with information.

I think their uncertainty was around the fascia surround. They identified one in one of the catalogues in the end but were less than 100% confident it was right.

I think their uncertainty was around the fascia surround. They identified one in one of the catalogues in the end but were less than 100% confident it was right.

Depronman is your friend here. He will be able to produce something printed and painted to suit your needs.

If he doesn’t respond this thread by tomorrow I suggest sending him a PM.

Kind regards,

Tom

Depronman is your friend here. He will be able to produce something printed and painted to suit your needs.

If he doesn’t respond this thread by tomorrow I suggest sending him a PM.

Kind regards,

Tom
That’s something I might well be interested in. I’d need to contact the installer on Monday to make sure they’d be happy to to use it but can’t imagine why they’d say no.

I can also provide a mounting kit to fit the pioneer into the 2Din dash It does not use the cage as this would not fit when I installed mine there was not room for the cage thickness and then no easy way to attach the cage to the dash. I 3D printed some runners which slide into the tapers in the Audi dash casting and drew onto the sides of the pioneer. These are retained with a 3D printed cap and screw. The fascia then covers all of this
This is all assuming you are using a genuine Audi 2 Din dash and not a butchered single din dash

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can also provide a mounting kit to fit the pioneer into the 2Din dash It does not use the cage as this would not fit when I installed mine there was not room for the cage thickness and then no easy way to attach the cage to the dash. I 3D printed some runners which slide into the tapers in the Audi dash casting and drew onto the sides of the pioneer. These are retained with a 3D printed cap and screw. The fascia then covers all of this
This is all assuming you are using a genuine Audi 2 Din dash and not a butchered single din dash

Paul

Hi depronman how much for the above mentioned aftermarket fitting kit.
Regards Steven

£15 for the plastic printed parts to bolt the HU into the Audi dash. (As used on my pioneer DA120 HU)
£20 for the custom fascia,but you will need to provide the measurements of the HU cutout and the location of this cut out
It is laser cut from 3mm Perspex and sprayed satin black

Both are plus postage at £3.10
You will need to fit the HU then measure for the fascia

Cheers. Paul

Back