So-called universal armrest?

Hi. And apologies in advance to any purists out there! I'm thinking about one of those supposedly universal armrests to provide somewhere to put an unused elbow as well as for a bit more handy storage. There are a couple of threads on here that I've found from a few years back and I'm wondering if there's any more recent experience. They come in a range of prices and (presumably) qualities but all seem to require a bit of drilling (or self-tappers) into the plastic of the small console (if that's the right word) between the front seats which houses the hand brake. My car doesn't have anything additional such as rear cup holders although there is a small rectangular insert in the existing plastic which might be for coins or for an ash tray(?) to be dropped in. Anyway I'd welcome hearing anyone's experiences or thoughts. Thanks and cheers.

Until I can manufacture a bracket to take my Audi A6.
20200928_124601.jpg
20200928_124709.jpg

I have this armrest.

The more screws or rivets you put one the base the better. As it is only temporarily fitted while working on the final solution, it is held in place by metal speed nuts and self adhesive backed velcro. In my case it does move slightly, but not an issue if secured permanently. Strength wise, yes it is pretty good. Although the rest does not tilt, the upper part hinges open. Pictures on the other thread. At £17 not exactly expensive, add some time to make a cut out for the hand brake when raised, some grey bumper paint to cover the black base and the attachments of your choice. Another good point is the rear ashtray is still accessible, if you need to see the VIN or adjust the handbrake cable and rear cup holders can still be fitted and removed.
If it was permanent I would fit a 12v socket, USB and red LED lighting into the rear vertical part above the ashtray.

Thanks all. I did get one. Cheap and cheerful from eBay. Had Russian lettering on the box although supposedly UK seller! Not the exact same one as the pics above, but similar. Fitted fine with six holes, pop-riveted. Not the most robust thing in the world so wouldn't choose to put full weight on it, but pretty solid all the same. Cheers.

Back