Soul black roof furniture.. how to achieve the look

BoxyA2

Well were are all aware that the roof furniture in soul black is somewhat impossible to find and id need to re mortgage the house to buy it from audi if they indeed had it in (which they don't).. so after some thought I went about creating the LOOK of OEM products at a snip of the price.. so

to start get a set or even use your own.. I brought a full set from @A2Steve for what id consider CHEAP.. and striped them down

IMG_0101.JPG

I then found a very friendly body shop to do the honours in MATT black
IMG_0435.jpg

Ok so now there painted what do you do about the buttons ?? Well i brought 2x of these from Fleabay at a reasonable £10.00 each posted.. I harvested the button covers from each this maintains the red LED look when its dark..

IMG_0433.jpg

I then set about rebuilding the units in black alarm sensor easy clips together.. Lights are pretty much straight forward.. I used a glue gun to aide the tabs I had to cut off during taking them to bits ..

finished article should look like

IMG_0437.jpg

and a huge improvement from the standard IMO.

IMG_0438.jpg

Ok i hear you say what about the sun visors.. well the middle one are 10 a penny in black anyhow as there use in the TT £6 eBay, right the sun visors from the TT don't fit.. But the visors from the A4 do (with some fettling) so in keeping I will be replacing those with black leather ones (when they arrive) still audi albeit not standard.. All in all with paint, donor button panels,and visors the whole furniture set me back in the region of £150.00 not bad for a soul black look i think..

Will upload a pic of it all fitted once its not dark outside.. should go well with the Charcoal Alcantara roof lining i have.. One happy man and another MOD.... DONE !!!

Fantastic work. Can you share the origins of the buttons bought from the bay? Just had a quick search and couldn't see anything similar in black. I'd like to get the same look if I can. Also keen to see your sun visor solution as I don't really like the look of the standard A2 visor.
Cheers
Steve

Fantastic work. Can you share the origins of the buttons bought from the bay? Just had a quick search and couldn't see anything similar in black. I'd like to get the same look if I can. Also keen to see your sun visor solution as I don't really like the look of the standard A2 visor.
Cheers
Steve

There’s a link Steve, I searched “ Audi reading light black” will post a pic and more information regards the visors when they arrive I agree the standard visors Arnt great .. it’s such a better look and more to the point “different”

AUDI TT MK1 ROADSTER BLACK INTERIOR MAP READING LIGHT 8N7947111 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/192439418579

This is an extremely helpful post, thank you.

When I did "the project" a couple of years ago all of the furniture was available in black still, not cheap, but this is an excellent way of doing it.

Cheers
Steve B

I may be wrong but it looks like the mark 1 A3 units might be another source for the buttons?

Not sure, but they look similar (although that is no guarantee of course)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2001-Audi-A3-1-8-Front-Interior-Light-8L0947111/1309534945?iid=302628653989

Thanks for triggering a few searches and options Boxy

Steve B

I think pretty much most are compatible, I’ve had so much good information from this site and people it’s great to be able to participate and give something back..

Midnight blue Interior colour? I never knew that, but I don't know the mk1 A3/TT options

These are advertised as BLACK, so they should be OK but worth checking I guess.

Steve B

Last edited:
It's hard to understand why anyone would want an interior to be black or dark? I've made mine as light and as "airy" as I can .... I've even changed the dash for the light grey colour. "Timmus" (Tom) tells me it is unique to have that colour dash with my body colour. I have just looked at a 1963 Ford Cortina in white leather where even the dash was white! No, black is dark, grim and depressing, I.M.H.O. Let the light in and LIVE!

David

It's hard to understand why anyone would want an interior to be black or dark? I've made mine as light and as "airy" as I can .... I've even changed the dash for the light grey colour. "Timmus" (Tom) tells me it is unique to have that colour dash with my body colour. I have just looked at a 1963 Ford Cortina in white leather where even the dash was white! No, black is dark, grim and depressing, I.M.H.O. Let the light in and LIVE!

David
On the right colour car the black interior can look REALLY nice, it can be a great contrast.

Everyone is different of course, but I do like a black interior on an A2.

Steve B

David

Each to there own David.. would be boring if we were all the same and had the same..

\\a bit of a "rant", that! I've not deleted it (yet) because it might be a bit amusing! I want to explain ..... I'd "jumped the gun" and assumed that it was about changing the headlining to black! Well, it HAS been done! Oh well, I got that wrong ..... sorry!

David

\\a bit of a "rant", that! I've not deleted it (yet) because it might be a bit amusing! I want to explain ..... I'd "jumped the gun" and assumed that it was about changing the headlining to black! Well, it HAS been done! Oh well, I got that wrong ..... sorry!

David
Hi David,

I think you may find that the whole reason for fitting the black "roof furniture" is because of the Charcoal Alcantara headlining that has been fitted..

To me the light grey headlining in a car that has black trim looks a bit odd and so completing the black look improves the look of the interior (in my view)

Steve B

Last edited:

David
No no David I’ve also done that to charcoal Alcantara ?..so your welcome to your “rant” but I’d say “opinion” everyone’s entitled to one..

This is all personal opinion of course, but for me I like a black interior with a contrasting colour on the seats and door cards. Hence why I have the colour storm with its red seat centres. My plan is to have the same red material on the door cards. I would also like a black alcantara roof lining like Boxy, but I'll probably find it tough to justify the expense. I've had several BMWs that left the factory with a black interior but with contrasting leather seats and door cards. Many cars have a black roof lining as an optional extra or standard on sporty variants. I like 'em.

Well were are all aware that the roof furniture in soul black is somewhat impossible to find and id need to re mortgage the house to buy it from audi if they indeed had it in (which they don't).. so after some thought I went about creating the LOOK of OEM products at a snip of the price.. so

to start get a set or even use your own.. I brought a full set from @A2Steve for what id consider CHEAP.. and striped them down

View attachment 36766

I then found a very friendly body shop to do the honours in MATT black
View attachment 36767

Ok so now there painted what do you do about the buttons ?? Well i brought 2x of these from Fleabay at a reasonable £10.00 each posted.. I harvested the button covers from each this maintains the red LED look when its dark..

View attachment 36770

I then set about rebuilding the units in black alarm sensor easy clips together.. Lights are pretty much straight forward.. I used a glue gun to aide the tabs I had to cut off during taking them to bits ..

finished article should look like

View attachment 36768

and a huge improvement from the standard IMO.

View attachment 36769

Ok i hear you say what about the sun visors.. well the middle one are 10 a penny in black anyhow as there use in the TT £6 eBay, right the sun visors from the TT don't fit.. But the visors from the A4 do (with some fettling) so in keeping I will be replacing those with black leather ones (when they arrive) still audi albeit not standard.. All in all with paint, donor button panels,and visors the whole furniture set me back in the region of £150.00 not bad for a soul black look i think..

Will upload a pic of it all fitted once its not dark outside.. should go well with the Charcoal Alcantara roof lining i have.. One happy man and another MOD.... DONE !!!

Exellent work!!!! Looks amazing and this post will help lots of people on the goal to have the luxury alcantara and black trim headliner. Awesome job?

Back